Author Topic: Trump directs creation of 'space force' as sixth branch of military  (Read 11990 times)

Offline mrmostlikely

• Rate Post
My concern is, how far along are the Death Star-esque plans?
"I don't care about your colour or your creed, I will judge you for no reason but your deeds." - Tim Minchin

Online expwor

• Donor
  • Rate Post
Wonder if Canada has surplus SMG's we could sell to Space Command so they can have blasters ;D

Tom

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
So...does this mean Officers who enter the new command will start off as....Space Cadets??

Aren't all officers already?  :whistle:

My apologies to those of you who have had your Spinal cord surgically removed.... I mean current and past officers.  ;D
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.

Online MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
Who in the service will be the Space Cowboys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwoiy-Fwm0E

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
The US flag has been planted on the moon.What better place to build that first base ? Gotta guard the giant lasers and railguns.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
I want to know more.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Would it be smarter to put an instillation on the moon first due to the proximity to Earth or go big and just set up shop on Mars?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
NASA claims to have a rocket to get a spacecraft to Mars in 6 weeks.

http://www.ispacea.com/2018/02/nasas-new-vasimr-plasma-engine-could.html

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Would it be smarter to put an instillation on the moon first due to the proximity to Earth or go big and just set up shop on Mars?

Logistics, logistics, logistics. One of the biggest barriers to interplanetary travel is launching enough fuel off of earth to propel something the rest of the way. If infrastructure can be established off-Earth that would allow for fuel to be produced without the need to lift it off the planet’s surface, that would be huge. I could envision something being developed to produce fuel on the moon from extracted materials, and to fuel a ship assembled in Earth orbit to then push out farther.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Logistics, logistics, logistics. One of the biggest barriers to interplanetary travel is launching enough fuel off of earth to propel something the rest of the way. If infrastructure can be established off-Earth that would allow for fuel to be produced without the need to lift it off the planet’s surface, that would be huge. I could envision something being developed to produce fuel on the moon from extracted materials, and to fuel a ship assembled in Earth orbit to then push out farther.

Time to bring some freedom to the moon.
Optio

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

Fuel on the moon? Hells yeah. We're gonna freedom the crap out of it with Harleys and Wal Mart and we'll get Lockheed Martin to open a fast food division.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
My mind went right to the deeper reaches of nerdom...

Space Marines?  Really?

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
….or go big and just set up shop on Mars?
Based on Matt Damon growing potatoes in "The Martian," some legal precedent of 'homesteading through cultivation' could establish a claim for either Prince Edward Island or Ireland.   :dunno:

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!

But NOT baked beans!

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08

Will there be big nasty bugs in the moon for space infantry to kill? 😈
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post
Colonial Space Marines is what is required here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ5J8ZiS2f8

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Colonial Space Marines is what is required here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ5J8ZiS2f8

I like how they point their space rifle muzzles at the deck on the space Landing Craft, as if they're getting into a helicopter.

It must be an infantry thing, but you'd be better off putting the muzzle in your mouth 'cause if you have an ND in a space ship, you'd probably rather go that way than via explosive decompression :)

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
I like how they point their space rifle muzzles at the deck on the space Landing Craft, as if they're getting into a helicopter.

It must be an infantry thing, but you'd be better off putting the muzzle in your mouth 'cause if you have an ND in a space ship, you'd probably rather go that way than via explosive decompression :)

They're in full pressure suits...no effect on them from an ND...unless it hits the reactor core, of course. :nod:

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer states if you get sucked out into space you must hold your breath and make swimming motions back towards your ship.

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Had to happen sooner or later...
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Gotta have Space Marines. :nod:

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was

Why are the Marines hogging the limelight in Space too? Oh...

"My dear Congressman McDonough:

"I read with a lot of interest your letter in regard to the Marine Corps. For your information the Marine Corps is the Navy's police force and as long as I am President that is what it will remain. They have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin's." Harry S. Truman

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=13607
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08

Because there are big nasty Aliens out there. And bugs. And Predators.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Why are the Marines hogging the limelight in Space too? Oh...

"My dear Congressman McDonough:

"I read with a lot of interest your letter in regard to the Marine Corps. For your information the Marine Corps is the Navy's police force and as long as I am President that is what it will remain. They have a propaganda machine that is almost equal to Stalin's." Harry S. Truman

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=13607

*"The Soviets are our adversary. Our enemy is the Navy."

— Curtis LeMay, General, US Air Force

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
The memes this announcement has inspired are so fricking good, I love the ones about the first VA claims.