Author Topic: Arid small pack?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
Arid small pack?
« on: June 25, 2018, 14:27:37 »
So I'm reading through the NP's article on the arrival of troops in Mali, and the soldier in the first photo really stands out...
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/a-dozen-canadian-peacekeepers-arrive-in-mali-as-yearlong-mission-begins

He appears to be wearing an arid version of the issue small pack. I can't really see the pack itself, but the accessory pouch is distinctly arid pattern and looks to be configured the same as the small pack or CTS ruck pouches. Does such a thing exist? And if so, why? Surely that is money that could have been used elsewhere.
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson

Offline trooper142

• Rate Post
Re: Arid small pack?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 14:32:44 »
So I'm reading through the NP's article on the arrival of troops in Mali, and the soldier in the first photo really stands out...
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/a-dozen-canadian-peacekeepers-arrive-in-mali-as-yearlong-mission-begins

He appears to be wearing an arid version of the issue small pack. I can't really see the pack itself, but the accessory pouch is distinctly arid pattern and looks to be configured the same as the small pack or CTS ruck pouches. Does such a thing exist? And if so, why? Surely that is money that could have been used elsewhere.

Yep it exists, I'm issued one for an upcoming task;as for why it exists, beats me, but I'll tell you I'm glad to have that as opposed to the green bag on a tan background.

Offline bLUE fOX

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 15:39:33 »
what happened to the pack covers we issued in Afghanistan? I worked in clothing stores at KAF and we had tri-walls full of arid covers, like the old winter white ones, that more or less elasticed around the pack and hid everything except for the straps. Same thing for the camel back, except that one was reversible and had a safety reflector on the inside.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 17:47:27 by bLUE fOX »
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 15:49:21 »

The dude with the beard looks very solid. Would not want to cross him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 20:25:07 »
what happened to the pack covers we issued in Afghanistan? I worked in clothing stores at KAF and we had tri-walls full of arid covers, like the old winter white ones, that more or less elasticed around the pack and hid everything except for the straps. Same thing for the camel back, except that one was reversible and had a safety reflector on the inside.
There are pics in other news articles that had rucks with the covers on them.  Do they even make them for the day pack...?

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 21:44:37 »
It’s a nice pack. Was issued mine in 2014 for Op Impact.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 05:55:33 »
Yep it exists, I'm issued one for an upcoming task;as for why it exists, beats me, but I'll tell you I'm glad to have that as opposed to the green bag on a tan background.

It exists for the same reason majority of our kit also exists in both patterns, so you can use them in both environments with ease!

The pack is exactly the same as the latest version of the Small Pack System, with the improved rucksack style straps and includes the same pouch system.

The dude with the beard looks very solid. Would not want to cross him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that dude, he's very solid and definitely not one to be crossed  ;)
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline Loch Sloy!

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 17:03:38 »
I know that dude, he's very solid and definitely not one to be crossed  ;)

CF mbr or civy contractor? I would assume from his dress state he is some sort of high speed dude, but (perhaps it's just the photo) he also looks seriously obese...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.
--Ben Franklin

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 17:10:41 »
There are pics in other news articles that had rucks with the covers on them.  Do they even make them for the day pack...?

As an aside, the amount of gear that this guy has to drag around, and I assume he isn't carrying any ammo either, is a good example of the kind of experience we are headed for: risk averse, heavy, slow and ponderous, indecisive and bureaucratic.  ;)

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 17:27:38 »
As an aside, the amount of gear that this guy has to drag around, and I assume he isn't carrying any ammo either, is a good example of the kind of experience we are headed for: risk averse, heavy, slow and ponderous, indecisive and bureaucratic.  ;)

If I ever deploy again I'm bolting an Xbox one and flat screen tv into one of my most no-mob boxes.  That's about all they have room to fit anyways.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 17:48:45 »
CF mbr or civy contractor? I would assume from his dress state he is some sort of high speed dude, but (perhaps it's just the photo) he also looks seriously obese...

CF Mbr, and it is just the photo. He's not a small man to begin with, but it's not the bad kind of obesity. It's Olympic lifting/powerlifting body.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline Loch Sloy!

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 19:20:29 »
In that case the photo will be a gold mine of piss taking for his buddies  :rofl:

And yah I know that body type; I had a WO who could run a platoon of athletic kids into the ground and yet would smoke cigarettes before and after. Fierce.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 19:28:41 by Loch Sloy! »
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.
--Ben Franklin