Author Topic: Public duties - RCAF  (Read 6820 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Public duties - RCAF
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 17:09:03 »
My world is understaffed and over worked too, which is why drill and fancy dress is not in my top three concerns.

There are no excuses for the worst offenders in the MARLANT video, but to expect the guard to look sharp is to set yourself up for disappointment.

Sometimes, though, its time to park planes/vehs/*not sure what they call parking a ship*..RCN help me out here and/or down tools/keyboards, and when the order is "shine your boots, remember the "move on the 1s, pause on the 2-3" stuff...we should at least make the best effort.  We do it on Remembrance Day, Change of Command parades, etc. 

I know the Officer in the MARLANT parade was 'the one in command', but where the heck was the CP01/CP02 and why didn't he/she make an attempt to make people look like they knew how to dress themselves?  Are pre-parade DEU inspections against our rights now or something? 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 13:24:01 by Eye In The Sky »
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 17:27:21 »
So, with an RCAF bunch over there this year to coincide with Canada Day and an Army bunch (2 PPCLI) over there last year for the same Canada Day period, anyone want odds that someone in the RCN is already hatching plans to have a Navy bunch over there next year.

Can they mount the Queen's guard while sitting in folding chairs?

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 17:30:48 »
Can they mount the Queen's guard while sitting in folding chairs?

That was MARLANT, leave the rest of the Navy out it!  :rofl:

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2018, 20:39:39 »
Sometimes, though, its time to park planes/vehs/*not sure what they call parking a crap*..RCN help me out here and/or down tools/keyboards, and when the order is "shine your boots, remember the "move on the 1s, pause on the 2-3" stuff...we should at least make the best effort.  We do it on Remembrance Day, Change of Command parades, etc. 

I know the Officer in the MARLANT parade was 'the one in command', but where the heck was the CP01/CP02 and why didn't he/she make an attempt to make people look like they knew how to dress themselves?  Are pre-parade DEU inspections against our rights now or something?

I personally love drill  and volunteer to do parades when I can, I'm sick and demented in that way...

Yes there should have been a CPO1/2 there to sort those troops out, hell even a weatherman Sgt would have sufficed ;) My point is we as the CAF have pushed PT, drill, marksmanship, CBRN, etc. off as unnecessary wastes of time to be learned on DLN. How can we now expect our troops who don't do "military" things to be "military" looking when we want them to? We wear sloppy uniforms with mismatched boots to work every day, where is the military bearing being enforced and encouraged?

Don't get me wrong, I love that I don't spend an hour before work every day polishing and pressing uniforms, but lets not pretend that has no effect on parades and appearance.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 13:33:22 »
You bring up a point though about 'pushing stuff'.  I've heard that drill, except the most basic movements, won't be taught at CFLRS anymore.  WTF?

CFLRS *is* the time and proper part in the trg system to do exactly that.  Drill is much more than just 'moving';  pride, esprit de corps, teamwork, accomplishment, discipline...and we're removing it from BASIC training and expecting the various occupational TEs to pick up the weight, or even worse, the operational units??

Whoever okay'd that should be asked to turn their kit in, along with the person who requested it in the first place.  In a few years, once the first of the Officers and NCMs who go thru the new "no drill" BMQ/BMOQ" are on the next MARLANT Parade for the GG...imagine how much worse it is going to be.

::)

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 15:19:42 »
You bring up a point though about 'pushing stuff'.  I've heard that drill, except the most basic movements, won't be taught at CFLRS anymore.  WTF?

CFLRS *is* the time and proper part in the trg system to do exactly that.  Drill is much more than just 'moving';  pride, esprit de corps, teamwork, accomplishment, discipline...and we're removing it from BASIC training and expecting the various occupational TEs to pick up the weight, or even worse, the operational units??

Whoever okay'd that should be asked to turn their kit in, along with the person who requested it in the first place.  In a few years, once the first of the Officers and NCMs who go thru the new "no drill" BMQ/BMOQ" are on the next MARLANT Parade for the GG...imagine how much worse it is going to be.

So the Americans have already gone down this route of less hands on training and more "distributed" or electronic learning for all skill and the result has been USS McCain and Fitzgerald incidents. They are now re-looking at these initiatives and have realized all that "needless stuff" was actually important and are in some aspects bringing them back!

Now with this news from CFLRS and what I hear about the reduction of training at the Naval Schools I fear that in a few years we'll be bringing sailors home in caskets as well. How about we skip the hard lesson route and continue with the tried and true!

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 19:05:07 »
Looks like the Changing of the Guard wasn't the only thing they were doing.

Marching through the streets of Folkestone, United Kingdom 🇬🇧

#RCAF Public Duties contingent paraded through the streets of Folkestone, United Kingdom, yesterday, after being granted Freedom of the City.

The RCAF Public Duties contingent was led by Brigadier-General Lowell Thomas, Commanding Officer, Canadian Defence Liaison Staff London. Canadian Armed Forces Members from throughout Europe also were present to observe the memorable occasion.

https://www.facebook.com/RCAF.ARC/posts/10155395253641237
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 19:07:08 »
Personally, I wish we would have left the forge cap in the past.

I think the contingent is doing the RCAF proud.  BZ.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 19:26:24 »

Anyone know what drill movements they are cutting out?  The only drill I ever learned after basic was sword drill, but aside from that, used everything from basic on normal monthly parades during the trades training.  I thought getting in rank, sizing, open/close order then a march past was pretty basic stuff. Oddly you don't do much C7 drill in the Navy, but that wasn't hard, and was required for the grad parade.

I must be getting old or something, almost typed 'back in my day'..... Get off my lawn! :tantrum: