Author Topic: New Zealand to buy Boeing P-8 patrol planes  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
New Zealand to buy Boeing P-8 patrol planes
« on: July 09, 2018, 21:59:44 »
I'm no expert here, but I'm counting 4 of the 5 Eyes countries switching to the same patrol aircraft...

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - New Zealand has agreed to buy four Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol planes, Defence Minister Ron Mark said on Monday, strengthening surveillance capabilities as it works to counter the rise of new powers, such as China.

New Zealand is responsible for patrol and rescue missions in an area of the Pacific Ocean bigger than Europe and plans to step up its engagement in the South Pacific, where it is losing sway over small island nations to China.

Mark said the aircraft were acquired from the United States through its foreign military sales program and would cost NZ$2.34 billion ($1.6 billion), including training costs. They would be operational in 2023.

New Zealand’s military had been looking to replace its aging P-3 Orion fleet, and the upgrade pulls it in line with the capabilities of its Five Eyes intelligence-sharing partners - Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-newzealand-defence-procurement/new-zealand-to-buy-boeing-p-8-patrol-planes-to-boost-south-pacific-surveillance-idUSKBN1JZ07J
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: New Zealand to buy Boeing P-8 patrol planes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 23:07:24 »
When they come out with the aircraft after the P-8, then we'll start the 10 year project to buy the P-8.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 00:21:10 »
When they come out with the aircraft after the P-8, then we'll start the 10 year project to buy the P-8.

Incorrect.  We'll buy 4 ex-RNZAF P-3s and convert them to Block 18 Auroras.   :facepalm:
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:44:01 »
You are all wrong. We'll get out of the MPA business because they'll be declared a cold war relic!

Online SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 09:22:15 »
It is to weep...

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 10:15:30 »
You are all wrong. We'll get out of the MPA business because they'll be declared a cold war relic!

Hey, it worked out so well for the Brits! 

Right?    ::)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:21:31 »
I'm no expert here, but I'm counting 4 of the 5 Eyes countries switching to the same patrol aircraft...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-newzealand-defence-procurement/new-zealand-to-buy-boeing-p-8-patrol-planes-to-boost-south-pacific-surveillance-idUSKBN1JZ07J

Unlike fast jets? Oh, wait, no  :facepalm:
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 10:28:03 »
Unlike fast jets? Oh, wait, no  :facepalm:

Well, NZ doesn't have fast jets anymore and needs Australia to defend it...

Never mind - I don't want to give any Good Idea Fairies anything to latch onto.  :nod:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 15:21:52 »
Block 18.  Don't be silly...we'll never get funding for that! 

And if we did, it would be 'new windshield wipers' or something...
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.