Author Topic: New Ontario Government 2018  (Read 26144 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: New Ontario Government 2018
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 16:57:58 »
Yea, the police asked him too. The NDP do love their race baiting tactics.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 17:38:41 »
I've never seen a politician in Toronto wear a vest to a 9-1-1 call. But, I've been retired for over nine years.

Perhaps that is now the TPS SOP?

Jul 19, 2018

He ( Toronto Mayor John Tory ) said he’s been on around 10 police ride-alongs over the years and has never requested a bulletproof vest nor has he been asked to wear one.

Tory also noted that photos appear to show Premier Doug Ford on the same ride-along as Tibollo, but without the extra protection.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/07/19/bulletproof-vest-tory/

END QUOTE

I never wore a vest.  But, I never criticised co-workers who did.

To keep the Toronto hysteria in perspective,

Canada’s Most Dangerous Places 2018
https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places/
See how your community ranks
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 17:44:21 by mariomike »

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 17:47:59 »
Who cares. Perhaps he wanted to see what it was like. I wonder if he asked for it or was offered a chance to wear it. At any rate, Horvath and her gang are really stupid for even trying this stunt. All it does is show how dishonest, deceitful and partisan her party is. It's already forgotten.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 17:57:23 »
I've never seen a politician in Toronto wear a vest to a 9-1-1 call. But, I've been retired for over nine years.
Have you seen many politicians on ride alongs?

Perhaps that is now the TPS SOP?

In a statement, Toronto police say Tibollo was given the bullet-proof vest as a cautionary measure. In the photo, the vest was also emblazoned with the minister’s name and the word “POLICE.”

"When police do a ride along, there is a safety assessment," a Toronto police spokesperson said in a statement. "Since we always err on the side of caution, there is a presumption that the person doing the ride along will be provided with a vest."

From personal experience it's extremely obnoxious when you're forced to bring a civilian around a dangerous area and they don't listen to your instructions or precautions. *cough* global TV reporer*cough*
Do you think maybe the minister should have said no to the police?

Seems like some Toronto EMS wear them
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,102523.msg1079014.html#msg1079014

I never wore a vest.  But, I never criticised co-workers who did.
But your reply #11 in the above link you say did wear a vest, an external one.

Canada’s Most Dangerous Places 2018
https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places/
See how your community ranks

Western Canada sure sounds dangerous. Do you suppose there's some kind of reoccuring theme there or is it all random?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 18:08:35 »
But your reply #11 in the above link you say did wear a vest, an external one.

Did you bother to read Reply #6?

They gave us vests to try on at a CME ( Continuing Medical Education ). I had it on for five minutes and loathed every minute of it. It was very uncomfortable, and looked confrontational.
That's just my personal opinion. Not everyone felt that way. I see a lot of the younger guys wearing them now.

It was offered. I made my choice not to sign one out. But, I never criticised those who did.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 18:13:44 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 18:19:55 »
Quote from: mariomike
Did you bother to read Reply #6?

It was offered. I made my choice not to sign one out. But, I never criticised those who did.
I sure did. When you said you wore an external one it didn't sound like you meant only for 5 minutes. My bad.

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 12:59:54 »
Who cares. Perhaps he wanted to see what it was like. I wonder if he asked for it or was offered a chance to wear it. At any rate, Horvath and her gang are really stupid for even trying this stunt. All it does is show how dishonest, deceitful and partisan her party is. It's already forgotten.

Quite apart from this vest business, is the evident truth of what he actually said in the House. I watched his initial comments and then his refusal to climb down in the face of self-righteous howling by the opposite benches. So, here I go, sailing close to the wind...

I don't know the Minister from Adam, and I'm not very right wing, but what I heard him say about that district, and about who kills who with guns in TO, was true. It's just that we seem very leery of actually tagging the problem to the community in question, lest we be accused of...well--you know what.

This problem is not new. When I was a young Militia recruit in 1974, my section commander was a Metro Police constable in what I believe was then 13 Division, which covered the neighbourhood the Minister mentioned.  One day, in talking about work, he offered that: "in Jane and Finch we never go to any call with less than two cars". That was 44 years ago.

Since those days, the problem has not only gotten worse: it has spread to a portion of Scarborough, and out to Brampton and Mississauga. In my opinion, it can't just be shuffled off as an "immigrant problem". Most of Toronto's immigrant communities, even those who went through a violent phase, have moved onwards and mostly upwards. And, I bet, many of those involved are no longer immigrants but native-born Canadians. (Check out that 44 years figure...)

Considering who the targets of the violence normally are (not counting tragic collateral victims like Jane Creba) I have a difficult time swallowing the rationales constantly trotted out as to why this problem persists in this community. Many immigrant groups in this country have faced racism, nativism, and other bigotry. Not all of them have remained in such a terrible, lethal mess for so long. What is going wrong here?

The Minister had the courage to raise issues many people would rather not hear. And who knows, maybe the Tories can't do much to fix it. But, IMHO, the first step in fixing a problem is defining just what that problem is, as unpleasant as it may be to discuss it.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 14:16:40 »
When I was a young Militia recruit in 1974, my section commander was a Metro Police constable in what I believe was then 13 Division, which covered the neighbourhood the Minister mentioned. 

13 Division covers this area,
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/d13/neighbourhoods.php

You may have been thinking of 31 Division,
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/d31/neighbourhoods.php
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 14:24:47 by mariomike »

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 14:26:15 »
13 Division covers this area,
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/d13/neighbourhoods.php

Yes: I looked at that TPS map before I posted. Maybe 13 Div boundaries are different now than they were in 1974. In any case, he was definitely speaking about the problem in Jane and Finch.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 14:31:43 »
Maybe 13 Div boundaries are different now than they were in 1974.

I was stationed in the Marlee ( between Dufferin and Bathurst ) and Eglinton area in 1972. It was 13 Division back then. It is still 13 Division.

West-end City of Toronto and Borough of York divisions started with a 1.

East-end City of Toronto and Borough of East York divisions started with a 5.

Borough of Etobicoke divisions started with a 2,

Borough of North York divisions started with a 3. ( That would include Jane and Finch. )

Borough of Scarborough divisions started with a 4.

That is the way Metro Police have numbered their divisions from 1957 to this day.

On Friday night, Mayor Tory went on a bike ride-along. Without a vest, "saying he has never donned a bulletproof vest in any of the ride alongs he's done before."

Ward 7 Councillor Mammoliti, "put on a bulletproof vest before getting into a squad car with officers."
http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/news/tory-mammoliti-go-on-ride-alongs-with-police-friday-evening-1.4162037

Councillor Mammoliti has suggested the army should be called in to his ward. ( The army has not been called in to Metro since the 1999 snowstorm. )
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=phtTW6S2HsbAjwSV9pboCA&q=mammoliti+army&oq=mammoliti+army&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39k1.1719.11707.0.13143.15.14.0.0.0.0.436.3333.0j4j2j3j3.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..3.12.3323.0..0j0i67k1j0i131i67k1j0i131k1j0i20i263k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.xgXpJPCej4k

Councillor Mammoliti once ran for mayor. But, dropped out after registering no more than 4% in public opinion polls.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:35:26 by mariomike »

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 07:15:48 »
Borough of North York divisions started with a 3. ( That would include Jane and Finch. )

OK, I got the Div number wrong. But my point remains: the Jane-Finch problem is an old one, and seems to have gotten worse.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 19:36:35 »
But my point remains: the Jane-Finch problem is an old one, and seems to have gotten worse.

I'm not an expert. This is just my opinion.

Metro Police deployed heavily into the Jane-Finch corridor, and other hot spots, because, "That is where the crime is." 

Quieter neighbourhoods complained they were paying for protection that was going elsewhere.

Why so much crime in the Jane - Finch community?  Sociological problems, education, DNA....who knows?  Most victims were fellow minorities, who appreciated and strongly supported Metro Police.  The Jane and Finch community supported police pay raises and benefits. And Metro police gave them the best service they could. 

Over the years, Toronto police culture seems to have changed from aggressively pursuing criminals to laying back in police cars, taking careful and lengthy reports.

When were you safer, taxpayers, then or now...?

See Carding (police policy)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carding_(police_policy)
"Carding, which is officially known as the Community Contacts Policy, is an intelligence gathering policy of the Toronto Police Service involving the stopping, questioning, and documenting of individuals when no particular offence is being investigated."

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 19:41:48 by mariomike »

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2018, 09:00:59 »
Metro Police deployed heavily into the Jane-Finch corridor, and other hot spots, because, "That is where the crime is." 
Makes sense to me.

Quieter neighbourhoods complained they were paying for protection that was going elsewhere.

I think that would be a very narrow-minded response by people. For example, in my neighbourhood in west Kingston, I hardly ever see a cruiser unless it's called. But I know very well that Kingston has other neighbourhoods where there are calls every day and night, and a much higher police presence. (I volunteer with Victim Services, so I see a bit of it.)

But, to me, that's fine. Why would the police deploy their very limited resources and time in places where there is little demand? I don't want to see a cruiser wasted on a daily patrol of my quiet street, when I know there's only a few of them out there at all.

To me, it's like the Fire Department. As a property owner I pay the fire tax, but I've never had a fire call at my house. But I'm very happy that my fire tax pays for responses to places that do have fires, or medical calls, or gas leaks, or whatever. We all pay for the service, and we get it when we need it.

Why so much crime in the Jane - Finch community?  Sociological problems, education, DNA....who knows?  Most victims were fellow minorities, who appreciated and strongly supported Metro Police.  The Jane and Finch community supported police pay raises and benefits. And Metro police gave them the best service they could. 

This is the question I'm asking: why? And yes, I agree that there are thousands of decent citizens in Jane-Finch, and Scarborough, and Brampton who would like it all to just end so they can get on with life, and irritating people like me will stop asking these questions. I would guess that every ethnic community in this country that has gone through a violent phase also had lots of members who just wanted normal lives.

Those people aren't the problem, but I think they could be part of a solution. The police can't do it alone. They're just one instrument towards a solution
Over the years, Toronto police culture seems to have changed from aggressively pursuing criminals to laying back in police cars, taking careful and lengthy reports.
That seems like a bit of a broadside into the police. I will be the first one to say that there are things about police culture in Canada today which concern me, but to blame the police for the restrictions and burdens placed on them by an ever-mounting pile of regulations, procedures, laws, etc doesn't seem right to me. A police officer I knew in Thunder Bay told me that on average, with all the reporting and paperwork involved, on a typical shift they could handle about 3 or 4 incidents and then their shift was over. Much of their day was spent writing things. And that was back before I left 38 CBG in 2005.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2018, 09:14:47 »

I think that would be a very narrow-minded response by people. For example, in my neighbourhood in west Kingston, I hardly ever see a cruiser unless it's called. But I know very well that Kingston has other neighbourhoods where there are calls every day and night, and a much higher police presence. (I volunteer with Victim Services, so I see a bit of it.)

But, to me, that's fine. Why would the police deploy their very limited resources and time in places where there is little demand? I don't want to see a cruiser wasted on a daily patrol of my quiet street, when I know there's only a few of them out there at all.

Police Dispatcher here, you'd be surprised (maybe not)of the ignorance from the general public when it comes to police and where they should or shouldn't be. For example the general public thinks that parking a unit all day and night at a park to deter teenagers from goofing off and smoking in said park is totally a valid use of that officers time and cost, instead of dealing with higher priority calls in the area, such as assaults, domestics, gun crime, etc.

Kind of funny but I'd rather deal with our "frequent flyers" and emergency call situations than deal with the general public (as much as I love putting in multiple calls a day for stuff like, "I smell marijuana from next door" or people calling on 911 for them losing their phone 2 weeks ago, or because the hotel they are at has different prices than what was advertised online, etc) for petty and dumb crap.

The way that police are spread out are in quadrants or "zones" as we call them. There are so many units per zone. No less than 2 officers per call at minimum unless its a belated incident and something like "Yeah, my car was broken into last night..he left behind his ID" and most of the time those types of calls get put through to an alternate response unit that deals specifically with belated incidents with no suspects. Unless specifically sent to walk a beat, there are no "areas" that officers are forced to go to, if they are doing pro-active policing then sure they'll sit on a particular street if they arent put on a call but most of the time they just drive around until being placed on a call.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:30:40 by EpicBeardedMan »
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 09:27:35 »
I was doing a quick read of the Jane and Finch stuff. I came across an article saying that the problems started when there was a population boom. The area went from 3000 to 30'000 very quickly, too quickly for the infrastructure to cope with and it's never recovered. Foreshadowing for our refugee crisis in Toronto perhaps?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2018, 09:46:46 »
That seems like a bit of a broadside into the police.

Wasn't meant to be. My uncle served on the Metro Force for many years.

Just that I believe times have changed in Toronto policing from what I remember. As they have in so many other things.

As a member of an allied service, my memories of Metro Police are from the 1972-2009 era. As for what has been going on for the last nine+ years, all I know about that is what I see on CP24 and read in the papers.

But, from my memories of the early 1970's, it was almost as though Metro's unofficial credo was, "Give no slack and take no crap from anyone. Confront and command. Control the streets at all times. Always be aggressive. Stop crimes before they happen. Seek them out. Shake them down. Make that arrest. And never, never admit the department has done anything wrong."
https://www.amazon.com/Protect-Serve-Century-Domanick-1994-11-03/dp/B01F9FVDY2

This is from 1996 and concerns the decline in LAPD arrests. It may, or may not, have some relevance for Metro,

Riordan Orders Report on Plunge in LAPD Arrests
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-03-15/local/me-47313_1_lapd-arrests
"It was vexing and surprising to learn that the LAPD is now making 100,000 fewer arrests, issuing over 200,000 fewer citations and conducting over 20,000 fewer field interviews per year."

"Field interviews" is what "carding" is known as in Toronto,

June 28, 2018

Toronto area police chief faults new Ontario restrictions on carding for rise in violent crime
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-toronto-area-police-chief-faults-new-ontario-restrictions-on-carding/
"Carding is the controversial police practice of collecting information about people they stop to question. Although it has been found to disproportionately target people of colour, some police officers argue they have lost a necessary investigative tool.

END QUOTE

Again, speaking of LAPD, this may, or may not, have some relevance to productivity in Metro,

"In the 1960s, our 3,400 policemen (our Civil Service rank) arrested 100,000 more criminals than do today's 10,000."

LT. MAX  K. HURLBUT LAPD
Retired from the “Golden Era” of the LAPD.

Sorry for not providing Metro's productivity statistics for comparison, but I know they are out there. If anyone is interested.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:05:23 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2018, 10:04:22 »
Quote from: mariomike
Toronto area police chief faults new Ontario restrictions on carding for rise in violent crime
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-toronto-area-police-chief-faults-new-ontario-restrictions-on-carding/
"Carding is the controversial police practice of collecting information about people they stop to question. Although it has been found to disproportionately target people of colour, some police officers argue they have lost a necessary investigative tool.

Loaded question but what if this is because in a given area people of colour are the primary guilty parties?

If it's noticed 24 out of 25 people committing crimes have an identifiable thing going on should police not single them out more? Or better to turn a blind eye to that?

London UK used to have a stop and search thing going on where police could stop and search someone 'at random' It was found too that POCs were singled out more and people screamed racism and the practice stopped. With the recent apparent epidemic of stabbings and murders I read the mayor is talking about bringing stop and search back.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2018, 10:14:44 »
Loaded question but what if this is because in a given area people of colour are the primary guilty parties?

Race has always been a hot potato in Metro. As it is in other municipalities, I suppose.

Aug. 17, 2015

Twenty-six years ago, a staff inspector by the name of Julian Fantino — future Toronto police chief — sat in a small committee room and delivered a slew of explosive race-based crime statistics focused on the Jane-Finch neighbourhood.

Fantino, then head of 31 Division, told North York’s committee on community, race and ethnic relations that, while blacks made up 6 per cent of the Jane-Finch population, they accounted for 82 per cent of robberies and muggings, 55 per cent of purse-snatchings and 51 per cent of drug offences in the previous year.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/08/17/a-thorny-history-of-race-based-statistics.html
Police in Ontario were forbidden to compile race-based crime statistics.
Police chief Jack Marks insisted the force did not keep race stats.

END QUOTE
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:22:31 by mariomike »

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2018, 12:58:19 »
Race has always been a hot potato in Metro. As it is in other municipalities, I suppose.

Aug. 17, 2015

...Fantino, then head of 31 Division, told North York’s committee on community, race and ethnic relations that, while blacks made up 6 per cent of the Jane-Finch population, they accounted for 82 per cent of robberies and muggings, 55 per cent of purse-snatchings and 51 per cent of drug offences in the previous year...

OK, it was 31 Div not 13 Div. :D :D

But this is what I mean: there is a community-centric problem. How can anybody in their right mind say there isn't? This is not new, at all, just worse. The question that needs to be answered, IMHO, is why that community is so over represented in violent criminal activity, especially gun homicides?

Is it racist police?  A biased court system? A bad education system? Lack of employment opportunities? Cultural baggage? Cultural glorification of violence-based masculinity? Whatever it is, it clearly does not apply across all non-white, non-European communities in the GTA. If it did, the GTA would be a blood-soaked inferno.

Putting more cops at the coal face, and bringing back carding (or an equivalent tool) will probably provide some relief. But neither will really get at "why?", and that IMHO is what is needed.

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2018, 13:06:20 »
I recall a study done in Baltimore some years back that found a remarkable connection between an area's crime rate and the relative tree coverage of that area.

The only crime that increased with greater amounts of tree coverage was burglary, which just makes sense.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169204612000977

How many trees are in the Jane-Finch area, again?

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2018, 14:09:48 »
Sadly the fear of race issue, throws all the law abiding people of that race under the bus, because they are at the mercy of the gangs, because the police are restrained from doing anything. Plus the politicians won't take any direct action for the same reason.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2018, 16:04:54 »
OK, it was 31 Div not 13 Div. :D :D

All I know about the Jane-Finch corridor now is what I see on CP24, and read on here.  :)

But, I agree, it has been a troubled community for many years.

eg: They were dropping garbage cans at us off the high-rise balconies at the Jane and Falstaff in the Metropolitan Toronto Housing Authority ( MTHA ) projects.

Not being police, our options were limited.

A very good friend of mine, Rick Boustead RIP, took it upon himself to meet with some residents of the community about what we could do to perhaps ease tensions a little bit.

Rick\s solution was to start a Children’s Breakfast Club in that project.
http://breakfastclubs.ca/our-club/rick-boustead-breakfast-club/

This was back in 1984. Now, there's over 20 Children's Breakfast Clubs in Metro Housing projects. But, Rick's was the first.

Not being police, I know a Children's Breakfast Club does not make a dramatic difference. But, 35 years later it's still there.
Maybe it did some good over those years.

I recall a study done in Baltimore some years back that found a remarkable connection between an area's crime rate and the relative tree coverage of that area.

Maybe Baltimore is on to something. There are lots of big old oak trees and sakura in our neighbourhood. It's very hilly. We have the river on the west, the lake on the south, and Grenadier Pond, and a smaller catfish pond, and a 400 acre park ( one third of the park remains in a natural state ) on the east.

If it were not for Bloor West Village and the subway on the north, you feel in complete isolation to the rest of the city. 

How many trees are in the Jane-Finch area, again?

That's another thing Rick did. He helped those Jane-Finch kids plant gardens in their community, and around the west-end. I remember seeing them plant flower gardens. Not sure about trees.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:03:31 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2018, 19:01:57 »
Refugees are being kicked out of dormitories since school's starting and put up in hotels for an indefinite period of time since there's no housing available and no real plan.  Got some nice hotels downtown, good stuff.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2018, 01:05:38 »
Thank god for Doug Ford.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/cannabis/2018/07/26/doug-ford-set-to-privatize-legal-cannabis-sales-reports-say.html

According to the reports, the Tory government will allow legal cannabis to be sold in private stores.

Vice News states that sources close to Premier Doug Ford’s government are planning to overturn the previous Liberal government’s decision for a monopoly on cannabis sales via the Liquor Control Board of Ontario.

“We’ll have more to say in the near future,” said a source in Premier Doug Ford’s office.

Provincial Finance Minister Vic Fedeli and Attorney-General Caroline Mulroney are expected to announce the new plans next week, according to a report in the Globe and Mail.

The report notes the new plan will mirror the Alberta model, which allows for privately owned stores to sell marijuana if they carry a license from the liquor commision.

If you're going go sell pot, do it right,  and reap the windfall
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2018, 12:20:22 »

Interesting and somewhat unexpected move by the Premier.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tory-ford-city-council-statements-1.4763890

I don't know too much about the city council dynamic in TO to have an informed opinion on whether this is a good move or not.

Less government is good.  I'm not so sure about less representation though. 
Optio