Author Topic: Intelligence Officer / Operator  (Read 368435 times)

Offline hockey1234

• Rate Post
Re: Intelligence Officer Questions
« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2015, 10:41:00 »
Current academic programs recognized for ROTP Int O are:
Ideal

Bachelor of Arts in:International Studies, Political Science, Global Studies

As far as applying to the Reserves as an Int O, the academic requirements for both RESO and DEO are slight different than above:

Bachelor of Arts in: International Studies, Global Studies, Political Studies, or Social Sciences (with a major in Politics or Economics)

So you could join the Reserves and then apply for ROTP provided you have not already obtained the requisite undergrad degree required under the ROTP program.

I appreciate the thorough response!
Just to clarify, is a Bachelor of Arts the only one accepted or could I remain in my Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management program provided that I major in International Studies? I was accepted into the programs that I just quoted. Also, would you recommend applying straight to ROTP and avoid Reserves if I am nearly certain that this is a career I would like to pursue?

Thanks again, 

**Note: I only quoted excerpts from DAA's post

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #276 on: January 14, 2015, 11:05:03 »
I appreciate the thorough response!
Just to clarify, is a Bachelor of Arts the only one accepted or could I remain in my Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management program provided that I major in International Studies? I was accepted into the programs that I just quoted. Also, would you recommend applying straight to ROTP and avoid Reserves if I am nearly certain that this is a career I would like to pursue?

Your best option, would be to apply for ROTP NOW before the deadline and see just what comes of it.  If not selected for ROTP, you could always convert your application over to the Reserves or wait until you complete your studies.

As far as the required undergrad degree, I would suggest printing off all the information regarding the academic program that you plan on taking and visit your local CFRC to obtain are more thorough review, just to ensure that it is an "acceptable" program of study for the occupation that you wish to pursue.

Good luck!
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me with an email address!  I don't bite........

Offline hockey1234

• Rate Post
« Reply #277 on: January 14, 2015, 20:02:28 »
Your best option, would be to apply for ROTP NOW before the deadline and see just what comes of it.  If not selected for ROTP, you could always convert your application over to the Reserves or wait until you complete your studies.

As far as the required undergrad degree, I would suggest printing off all the information regarding the academic program that you plan on taking and visit your local CFRC to obtain are more thorough review, just to ensure that it is an "acceptable" program of study for the occupation that you wish to pursue.

Good luck!

Thank you very much DAA, I really appreciate all your helpful advice!

Offline Juliandam26

• Rate Post
About training for intelligence officers.
« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2015, 13:52:42 »
Hi, I'm new in this forum, and I am about to take my CFAT, and hopefully everything will go as expected.

I have a question regarding what kind of training and how long it is for intelligence officers. Also, I would like to kindly request any kind of information regarding that specific trade. I have bee looking into the forum but I haven't been able to find much information (or probably I don't know where to look). I will really appreciate any input regarding this trade.

Thanks

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
Re: About training for intelligence officers.
« Reply #279 on: January 21, 2015, 13:57:24 »
I have a question regarding what kind of training and how long it is for intelligence officers. Also, I would like to kindly request any kind of information regarding that specific trade.

"I want to be Int" Mega-thread 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12858.275
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: About training for intelligence officers.
« Reply #280 on: January 21, 2015, 15:29:12 »

I have a question regarding what kind of training and how long it is for intelligence officers. Also, I would like to kindly request any kind of information regarding that specific trade.

As marionike pointed out there is lots of information on this site that you can read. 

I have bee looking into the forum but I haven't been able to find much information (or probably I don't know where to look). I will really appreciate any input regarding this trade.

You just failed one of the attributes required of someone aspiring for a career in the intelligence field.

Enjoy your reading.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline cryco

Just looking.

• Rate Post
Re: "I want to be Int" Mega-thread
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2015, 15:39:04 »
quote< You just failed one of the attributes required of someone aspiring for a career in the intelligence field. >  <- that's funny because it's true.

Offline Juliandam26

• Rate Post
« Reply #282 on: January 22, 2015, 14:13:55 »
Yeah, I can see that now. Maybe I should start considering another trade.

Thanks anyways.

Offline Thinkingofenlisting

• Rate Post
Intelligence Officer qualifications
« Reply #283 on: January 31, 2015, 13:26:20 »
I have a question about the qualifications for becoming an intelligence Officer.

I have an honours degree in Sociology and a Master's degree in criminology. I have seen the university degrees required for this job and neither of the two I hold match. It's unfortunate because the skill set I have is identical to what is required as an intelligence Officer and it would be a dream job for me. Is there any way to have this problem addressed? For example I believe I have heard of having a department in Ottawa assessing situations like this on a case by case basis (I could be wrong though).

Any information would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

Offline cryco

Just looking.

• Rate Post
Re: Intelligence Officer qualifications
« Reply #284 on: January 31, 2015, 14:53:26 »
What did the recruiter tell you? The only one than can give you an answer to that is a recruiter.
With those degrees, it is definitely worth your time to go ask in person.

• Rate Post
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2015, 15:28:18 »
The recruiter told me I should look at intelligence operator first and was pretty by the book in terms of the qualifications. I had spoken to a recruiter in the past and I believe that is where I got the info about having the situation assessed by a department in Ottawa, that was a while ago though and it was vague at best. I just find it hard to believe that this is e end an issue, I understand policy and procedure has to be followed but frustrating nonetheless.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2015, 20:22:47 »
I have a question about the qualifications for becoming an intelligence Officer.

I have an honours degree in Sociology and a Master's degree in criminology. I have seen the university degrees required for this job and neither of the two I hold match. It's unfortunate because the skill set I have is identical to what is required as an intelligence Officer and it would be a dream job for me. Is there any way to have this problem addressed? For example I believe I have heard of having a department in Ottawa assessing situations like this on a case by case basis (I could be wrong though).

Any information would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

You want to become an Intelligence officer, yet you have failed on one of the most important criteria of what would make you a desirable candidate to become an intelligence operator. 

Some here.

http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12858.200

Thanks mariomike.  Although not an INT OP, you show more skills than many who are asking questions here.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

• Rate Post
« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2015, 13:30:07 »
 :) thanks Georgey Ol Boy tremendous help

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 13:39:19 by Thinkingofenlisting »

Offline Gannet

• Rate Post
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2015, 14:37:01 »
What degrees actually match? Forces.ca mentions 'relevant' degrees, but I was asked if I wanted to go the officer route with a BFA.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2015, 14:46:00 »
What degrees actually match? Forces.ca mentions 'relevant' degrees, but I was asked if I wanted to go the officer route with a BFA.

Did you tell them that you understood that officers generally use a pistol and not a rifle, thus the BFA wouldn't be of much use during training?

Offline Gannet

• Rate Post
« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2015, 14:53:47 »
Did you tell them that you understood that officers generally use a pistol and not a rifle, thus the BFA wouldn't be of much use during training?

No, but I'm remembering that for later. ;D

Offline Steve_m

• Rate Post
Intelligence Officer
« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2015, 22:15:00 »
I'm a university student and working toward a degree in IT(Information technology).  I was thinking over my choices of what i would want to do in the military and narrowed it down to armour, infantry, or intelligence officer through direct entry.  I know i made a post about infantry officer earlier to ask if my degree was fine but wanted to know if my degree would make me eligible to become an armour or intelligence officer as well. Any help would be great just want to make sure i have options if i decide to change my mind about infantry and want to do something else that I'm interested in. 

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
Re: Intelligence Officer
« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2015, 22:23:21 »
Any help would be great just want to make sure i have options if i decide to change my mind about infantry and want to do something else that I'm interested in.

12 pages of Intelligence Officer ( and Operator ) questions and answers:

http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12858.200
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 00:01:43 by mariomike »
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline MShep

• Rate Post
Best route to career in intelligence
« Reply #293 on: October 29, 2015, 00:39:37 »
Good day,
I would like to join the CAF as an intelligence officer. However that trade is not currently open to DEO applicants. I will be graduating with a degree in international studies this spring and I don't want to spend a few years in RMC. So in the long run what trade would prepare me best to be intO? I heard it's very competetive to get in and I have 0 relevant experience beyond my degree.

Thank you

Offline LunchMeat

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Re: Best route to career in intelligence
« Reply #294 on: October 29, 2015, 03:15:45 »
You could start out as a Reserve Int Operator Or Officer if there is a Reserve Int Company in your area.

Otherwise, I'd look into Communications Research Operator. Some of the stuff Comms Rsch Ops do is even more secret squirrel than Int and CANSOFCOM.

Otherwise, there's not much... Sonar Operator, Naval Communicator?  Those aren't officer occupations though.

Fair warning however, it's not easy to change your trade/occupation, the process is very lengthy, and it's not guaranteed to be approved either. I would suggest looking into other occupations that interest you, ones you could see yourself doing for a long period of time and select one of those... Or just wait it out until IntO becomes available to DEO applicants, and probably your least favourite choice, enter under ROTP as IntO (they're hiring), and get another degree.

"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Best route to career in intelligence
« Reply #295 on: October 29, 2015, 05:06:26 »
Good day,
I would like to join the CAF as an intelligence officer. However that trade is not currently open to DEO applicants. I will be graduating with a degree in international studies this spring and I don't want to spend a few years in RMC. So in the long run what trade would prepare me best to be intO? I heard it's very competetive to get in and I have 0 relevant experience beyond my degree.

Thank you

One of the most important skills one needs to become an Intelligence officer or Intelligence Operator, is the skill to surf the internet and research.  That would mean you should enhance your Google Fu.

Here is a source you may read here on this site:

https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,12858.msg1029950.html#msg1029950

A good method of doing a Component Transfer to INT O is to join as a Combat Arms officer and gain knowledge and experience in ORBATS of friendly and 'enemy' organizations and their SOPs and equipment.  The knowledge you will learn as a Combat Arms officer (Army, Navy or Air Force (mostly Army)) will put you in a good position to switch later.

Offline MShep

• Rate Post
« Reply #296 on: October 29, 2015, 20:28:34 »
Thanks for your insight guys! Guess there's just a lot of opportunities available for me after school and I'll have to follow my gut feeling. A good problem to have.

Offline k25

• Rate Post
Reserve branches
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2016, 16:35:23 »
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how a reserve unit operates. More specifically, do each branch of the Canadian forces (Army, Navy and AF) work together? Or are the units specific to each branch?

I am in school right now and want to finish my degree while working for the reserves. I originally wanted to apply to the Air Force as an Intel Officer, but the closest AF base to me is hours away in Borden, which would prove difficult being in school. There is an Army reserve unit walking distance to where I live. I know everything depends on the demand for your trade, and job openings, but if I did apply to the Air Force, would I be able to work at the army unit nearer to me?

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Reserve branches
« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2016, 17:24:00 »
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how a reserve unit operates. More specifically, do each branch of the Canadian forces (Army, Navy and AF) work together? Or are the units specific to each branch?

I am in school right now and want to finish my degree while working for the reserves. I originally wanted to apply to the Air Force as an Intel Officer, but the closest AF base to me is hours away in Borden, which would prove difficult being in school. There is an Army reserve unit walking distance to where I live. I know everything depends on the demand for your trade, and job openings, but if I did apply to the Air Force, would I be able to work at the army unit nearer to me?

Keeping it short and simple, basically when you join an army reserve unit, you need to be one of the trades that unit employs. Most units are majority one trade- infantry, artillery, engineers, armour, etc- but some units will have a variety of different trades, such as the service battalions, communications units, etc. Every unit will employ maybe a couple of clerks, maybe a supply tech or two in addition to their primary trade. But by and large, if you're joining say an infantry unit, expect to be joining and working as infantry. You won't get much if any experience working with the other elements, but you'll sometimes get experience working with other trades within your element- eg an infantry unit will sometimes work with the engineers, medics, artillery, armour, etc.

Which unit is closest to you? That would make it easier to give a more precise answer.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline k25

• Rate Post
Re: Reserve branches
« Reply #299 on: February 16, 2016, 17:57:28 »
Thanks for the help everyone.

Which unit is closest to you? That would make it easier to give a more precise answer.

I live right downtown in Toronto. The closest reserve unit to me is 32 Signal Regiment: Fort York - it's an armoury so I am guessing I would not be able to work there given as I am applying to be intelligence. I know there are a few more in the city, though.