Author Topic: Gun Control: US and Global II  (Read 12947 times)

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Optio

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
Re: Gun Control: US and Global II
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2019, 05:44:45 »
Armed off-duty firefighter halts armed suspect at Walmart store in Missouri, police say

https://www.foxnews.com/us/armed-man-arrested-at-missouri-walmart-police-say?fbclid=IwAR2fbj7be3fqLqXHbFH79Q-lS7dnZRQ1DebXrl3CxiRDIWQg-Ps5H0eIRJg

More at link
2 dudes legally allowed to carry. How did that work out? Lucky no one was killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2019, 15:09:35 »
2 dudes legally allowed to carry. How did that work out? Lucky no one was killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just answered your own question. No one was killed.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7545.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2019, 18:33:55 »
I'd rather look at the glass as half full and say what stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. Nobody but the perp knew what he was thinking or whether he is lying after getting caught. What we do know, is this wacko, whatever his intentions, was stopped in his tracks by a good guy with a gun.
Personally, I think his 2nd amendment ploy is bullshit.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7545.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2019, 21:13:56 »
A different perspective.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/mass-shootings-by-country/?fbclid=IwAR2rmMpF18zVhF8vZYD03B6kaxA7M2Av7qNl1-eMaMGpNeHqBPIHxcfjOBM

Crunching data on that will definitely take some time. At first glance, Norway can be excluded immediately from meaningful comparison; their small population means that the single mass shooting event at Utøya accounts for almost the entirety of their aberrantly high mass shooting death rate. Without that single outlier theirs would be very nearly nil.

I’m confident that France and Belgium’s mass shooting rates are mostly attributable to Islamist motivated terrorist attacks, but again it will take more time and digging to bear that out.

High rates in Eastern Europe don’t surprise me.

I’m curious about their selection of 2009-2015 for comparison given that the source data set runs from 1998-2019. Bigger samples are always better if they’re more representative. I’m curious what including the full data set would do for these rates.

There is of course still the fact that apples and oranges are being compared here. Most of the discussion lately has revolves around random mass shootings in the sense of an individual flies off the handle and tries to rack up a kill count, versus a broader categorization that will also capture Islamist terrorism as well as gang shootings. It’s tough to compare the situations of a gangbanger with ready access to illegal firearms, or an organized terror cell to a 21 year old kid who hasn’t moved out of his parents’ basement and has easy access to legally purchase an AR.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2019, 22:19:46 »
What I don't agree with is the FBI definition of 4 or more people killed, this muddies the waters and makes determining causes and prevention difficult. I don't believe that most people think a gangland hit when they think a mass shooter. This link discusses the issue.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-policy/analysis/essays/mass-shootings.html

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2019, 01:47:54 »
There are a lot of definitions in use out there, but pretty much all of them spell out exactly what they are counting.

Statistically, even the outliers are likely to eventually happen.  We just don't know over how many years they should be averaged.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.