Author Topic: Is the CPC about to split  (Read 6177 times)

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Is the CPC about to split
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2018, 23:22:43 »
If he could find a way to drain some the Labour votes from the NDP, that would be very interesting...

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2018, 13:17:23 »
Digging this back up, Bernier's party seems to be having some birthing pains... He was scheduled to attend a rally at Parliament Hill today against the UN Global Compact For Migration, something he's been quite vocal about in the past little while. It looks like he wisely decided to no-show. At an event where he was to be one of the most anticipated speakers, the crowd that showed up rather inevitably consisted in large part of groups like La Meute and Storm Alliance. He's going to have to contend with the fact that at least one local university chapter of his party's support bases did attend alongside those groups.

He has some very serious headwinds coming into this next year... He has chosen to be prominent on some subjects that place him squarely alongside some groups that will utterly doom him politically if he is seen or perceived to be associated with them, even if only through lack of denunciation. He's going to need to come out with something strong if he's to try to maintain some credibility as a reasonably electable contender. He's also going to have to wrestle with the reality that this ammunition is equally potent both to the left wing who merely don't want to see him get any votes, and to CPC loyalists who don't want him splitting the right and who will use this to continue to further marginalize him and his party.

This is not looking good for Bernier. However pure his intentions, he runs the real risk of whatever he does being co-opted by some pretty radical fringe types who are more than happy to align with someone they see as potentially lending them some legitimacy.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 13:30:31 by Brihard »
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Your example, not your opinion, can cause change
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2018, 08:47:55 »
….doom him politically if he is seen or perceived to be associated with them, even if only through lack of denunciation.
You mean a clear denunciation, like "very fine people, on both sides."   :whistle:
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2018, 11:17:58 »
You mean a clear denunciation, like "very fine people, on both sides."   :whistle:

Indeed. Some things go over better when you’re already elected...
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Your example, not your opinion, can cause change
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2018, 11:32:35 »
Indeed. Some things go over better when you’re already elected...
Well, there was  some initial outcry, but it receded quickly as sufficiently lowered expectations of Presidential decorum had been established.
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2018, 13:48:12 »
He's been walking a tightrope on this since it started but I was impressed by how the party organizers were able to organize while simultaneously keeping this stuff at bay. I don't think this event has any traction to be used against him as ammo, I can't even find anything on it in the news.

My fear is that of the 292 riding associations that are already set up (that's massive success in my opinion), there will be a few scoundrels who are yet to be uncovered. If those are picked up by the mainstream media and he's constantly on the defensive about how x,y,z character managed to get into his party and take on an official role, then the party will quickly be characterized in the minds of the average person.

EDIT: Corrected riding associations to an accurate number.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 17:15:14 by ballz »
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2018, 14:20:26 »
He's been walking a tightrope on this since it started but I was impressed by how the party organizers were able to organize while simultaneously keeping this stuff at bay. I don't think this event has any traction to be used against him as ammo, I can't even find anything on it in the news.

My fear is that of the 280 so riding associations that are already set up (that's massive success in my opinion), there will be a few scoundrels who are yet to be uncovered. If those are picked up by the mainstream media and he's constantly on the defensive about how x,y,z character managed to get into his party and take on an official role, then the party will quickly be characterized in the minds of the average person.

Dammit. I know when you say “scoundrel” you’re thinking like Richard Spencer, but I just can’t help but associate that word with Han Solo.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2018, 16:41:15 »
I can't help but think of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Ruprecht the monkey boy...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline JaredRis

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2018, 06:59:15 »
Dammit. I know when you say “scoundrel” you’re thinking like Richard Spencer, but I just can’t help but associate that word with Han Solo.

You're not alone there. Han Solo was one of the greatest scoundrels of all time. The Harrison Ford's Han Solo, not the new one. haha