Author Topic: Is the CPC about to split  (Read 10595 times)

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Is the CPC about to split
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2019, 00:13:57 »
That's a hyper-specific crystal ball you got there.

No, that would imply it was a prediction. It certainly wasn't. It's almost play-by-play of what happened with the reform party, except with different characters.

Just pointing out what I believe is absurdity to act like the PPC is a write-off that can't even get started because it has "only" managed to get 10% in a by-election, it has "only" managed to sign up 30,000 members, it has "only" managed to put together 338 riding associations, and it has "only" raised over a million dollars, all in less than 5 months since it was first announced it would actually exist... and less than 2 months after actually getting officially recognized by Elections Canada so that it can offer tax receipts.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2019, 10:02:29 »
No, that would imply it was a prediction. It certainly wasn't. It's almost play-by-play of what happened with the reform party, except with different characters.

Just pointing out what I believe is absurdity to act like the PPC is a write-off that can't even get started because it has "only" managed to get 10% in a by-election, it has "only" managed to sign up 30,000 members, it has "only" managed to put together 338 riding associations, and it has "only" raised over a million dollars, all in less than 5 months since it was first announced it would actually exist... and less than 2 months after actually getting officially recognized by Elections Canada so that it can offer tax receipts.

No, the PPC are a write off because they’re a bug lamp for xenophobes and wing nuts. I’m by no means saying that anyone following that party is that kind of person, just that they have established a natural home in the Canadian political landscape for the crazy racist uncle who makes family dinners awkward. Their arms are u comfortably open to some very ugly fringe politics. I believe that many of us who will comfortably alternate between CPC and LPC will never think about voting for them.

Regarding the Reform Party, don’t forget that they plateaued around 20% of the seats and couldn’t crack that until “unite the right” brought in the PC wing of the Canadian conservative movement. If you want to predict a similar trajectory for PPC, fine, but really all you’re predicting is the LPC being the beneficiary of a few ‘gimme’ elections until Canadian conservatism gets its act together.

Best case for Canada is a Conservative win in this election, and PPC gets the rug yanked out from under them. A party enticing to populist right wing demagogues is not something Canada stands to benefit from.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2019, 11:15:40 »

Ah, the Galactica Political model; "All this has happened before, and it will happen again".
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2019, 19:27:05 »
No, the PPC are a write off because they’re a bug lamp for xenophobes and wing nuts. I’m by no means saying that anyone following that party is that kind of person, just that they have established a natural home in the Canadian political landscape for the crazy racist uncle who makes family dinners awkward. Their arms are u comfortably open to some very ugly fringe politics. I believe that many of us who will comfortably alternate between CPC and LPC will never think about voting for them.

You may, in the end, be correct on this, but it's simply far too early to write them off because of that. Indeed, they had a large collection of the fringes try to hijack the party, and of course the media and other parties tried to bolster that reputation, but they have done a pretty good job so far keeping the party on track including kicking out a bunch of people very swiftly upon uncovering any bad history they have. It's a test of time they have to pass.

If you want to predict a similar trajectory for PPC, fine, but really all you’re predicting is the LPC being the beneficiary of a few ‘gimme’ elections until Canadian conservatism gets its act together.

Oh give it up. I'm not predicting anything, I'm just not being stupid enough to declare very possible things as impossible.

Anyway, find me an argument for voting for Scheer that is rooted in principled conservatism and not that he is the lesser of two evils, and I'll care. The difference between the Libs & the CPC at this point is in rhetoric only.

Best case for Canada is a Conservative win in this election, and PPC gets the rug yanked out from under them. A party enticing to populist right wing demagogues is not something Canada stands to benefit from.

The irony here is too much. The Libs and CPC are sucking at the teet of every given identifiable group in existence, and it's the PPC who have categorically stated they will do otherwise, and yet its the PPC accused of being demagogues. Canada stands to benefit a lot from moving away from identity politics, not further into it.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2019, 19:36:56 »
My perspective on the upcoming election...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6mJw50OdZ4
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html