Author Topic: Gun Control: US and Global II  (Read 5185 times)

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
Re: Gun Control: US and Global II
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2019, 13:49:51 »
a)  I can live with that;

b)  Insulting you could be considered a 'personal attack' under the site's regulations.  Rather, I was suggesting that if you don't like the quality of political reporting from Yahoo's Entertainment people, etc, perhaps you should consider upping your game for what sources of journalism you choose to read.  Naturally, it's completely up to you.

You didn't get it did you? I chose this particular piece on purpose. I was not endorsing Yahoo Entertainment as a source of news. Sometimes over analysis of a post leads to misunderstanding. Didn't I not sufficiently explain myself with the quotation marks? Maybe I should have used some emoticons but I stay away from them as much as possible.
I like beer.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2019, 15:48:28 »
I really think people over estimate the "positive" reaction a US Government sanctioned gun grab would get from US Military people. 

I would predict vast swaths of the US Military and Police Forces simply disregarding or outright resisting and such direction or order on the basis of their oath to defend the constitution.

This is the crux of the gun issue in the USA IMHO.  You can not take forceful action against firearms or it leads to open and violent insurrection in that country.  I see no other outcome.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2019, 17:02:33 »
I really think people over estimate the "positive" reaction a US Government sanctioned gun grab would get from US Military people. 

I would predict vast swaths of the US Military and Police Forces simply disregarding or outright resisting and such direction or order on the basis of their oath to defend the constitution.

This is the crux of the gun issue in the USA IMHO.  You can not take forceful action against firearms or it leads to open and violent insurrection in that country.  I see no other outcome.

Rep Eric Swalwell is running for president in the next election you may have heard. The top item on his campaign site is called "Ending gun violence".

https://ericswalwell.com/my-plan/
Ending Gun Violence

No more turning a blind eye to American lives stolen by gun violence. We must enact truly universal background checks for all gun and ammunition purchases, do more to take guns away from domestic abusers, push states to adopt gun violence restraining order laws, and remove weapons of war from our communities once and for all. I’m the only candidate calling for a mandatory national ban and buyback of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons.
I can't figure out in this how his policy would ever end gun violence. He advocates a buyback of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons, whatever that is. But it seems to be is should be called confiscation, the government can't buy back what they never owned in the first place. They belong to individual citizens and such a proposal would make them criminals overnight.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 17:06:10 by kkwd »
I like beer.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2019, 17:58:07 »
KKWD I like the article you posted because to me it highlights how self-important we've become. The people reacting to Chuck Norris's announcement I mean.

"I'm unsubscribing from you!" - I think Mr Norris will survive.

“Chuck shouldn't be working with gun companies at a time like this,” wrote a commenter, who — like Norris — is a martial artist. “He should be advocating ways to keep his gun loving friends from possible becoming surprising random mental health people that use guns to kill others and children. Please tell me Chuck, that you do something like that for the kids at least and aren't all about the money. I mean no wonder Bruce Lee died....he wasn't like all these a holes, just about the [money].”

Riiiiight.

Mass shootings in the US, horrific as they are, are an insignificant number compared to where the majority of shootings are coming from.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 18:03:02 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2019, 23:20:03 »
" advocating a buy back of military style, semi automatic, assault weapon.

It won't be a buy back. It'll be a $25 convenience fee for them not having to come take them. A true buyback of blue book value would be beyond the reach of any system. Given the ignorants' ever shifting definition of assault weapons, given the amount of AR's and variants alone numbering in millions, no goverment could afford it.

I won't even attempt to parse his definition, other than to say, military style and semi automatic don't belong in the definition of assault weapons. We've been down that road here more than once here and I doubt anyone's thoughts on it have changed very much.

Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2019, 10:23:08 »

Not to mention there is tons of citizens in the USA who did serve at some point and would not be willing to accept that as well. When you have a military of 1 million troops, and your system is designed and optimized for quick rotations (3 years and out if you like), you end up with a lot of trained citizens on the streets. 7.3% of all Americans have served (specifically 1.4% of females and 13.4% of males) which is a large amount who would also likely resist.

Offline kkwd

• Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2019, 05:46:01 »
Fear & Loading: Chuck Norris vs. President Trump in Indianapolis?

Who wins?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/4/12/fear-loading-chuck-norris-vs-president-trump-in-indianapolis/
I like beer.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2019, 21:49:11 »
" advocating a buy back of military style, semi automatic, assault weapon.

It won't be a buy back. It'll be a $25 convenience fee for them not having to come take them. A true buyback of blue book value would be beyond the reach of any system. Given the ignorants' ever shifting definition of assault weapons, given the amount of AR's and variants alone numbering in millions, no goverment could afford it.

I won't even attempt to parse his definition, other than to say, military style and semi automatic don't belong in the definition of assault weapons. We've been down that road here more than once here and I doubt anyone's thoughts on it have changed very much.

yep let say an average price of $700 per gun x 350-400 million = $245,000,000,000.00 (at 350)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2019, 22:30:23 »
Toronton will be holding a gun buy back.

$250 for a rifle, $350 for a pistol.

There's a Canadian company that's selling pistol frames for $49. You need to register pistol frames with the RCMP, so, considered guns?

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2019, 07:55:40 »
Toronton will be holding a gun buy back.

$250 for a rifle, $350 for a pistol.

There's a Canadian company that's selling pistol frames for $49. You need to register pistol frames with the RCMP, so, considered guns?
Who has frames? Registered portion is the gun.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2019, 08:05:51 »
Who has frames? Registered portion is the gun.

https://sjhardware.com/product/stripped-tt33-handgun-frame/

You should buy us each one buddy :)

All kidding aside I think gun buy back programs are great. I actually arranged for a guy to turn an unregistered pistol over to the police without repercussion and man it was stressful and intimidating for me and i was the middle man.

The programs are great (as long as jerks like us don't ruin it) but I've also heard of someone being charged for bringing a gun to the police a day before the amnesty started which is pretty stupid.

And there was our own Toronto police selling 'turned in' guns back to the public to 'raise funds' for the department a few years back

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post