Author Topic: NB 2018 Election  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
NB 2018 Election
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:57:30 »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/new-brunswick-election-day-1.4835463

New Brunswick's electoral landscape was thrown into chaos Monday, as both the Progressive Conservatives and the incumbent Liberals hope to form government after the first minority legislature in almost 100 years.

It came down to the final poll in the final riding, when the Progressive Conservatives eked out an apparent minority government, 22 seats to the Liberals' 21, in a legislature where 25 is required for a majority.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Re: NB 2018 Election
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:38:34 »
Worth noting that the Liberals require the support of both junior parties, where the Conservatives only require the support of one.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 13:04:24 »
So the Liberals lose the election but have managed to stay in power. 

I expect this will be at the pleasure of the NDP and Greens who they will need.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 16:41:55 »
So maybe we’ll see how powerful the Irving’s are if the NDP or Greens have a say in the province...

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 17:10:43 »
If things hold the way they are, the Greens won't factor. The NDP is a non-issue. The PANB holds the balance of power if the Tories eventually form government. If the Liberals are to do it they need both the PANB and Greens and they've already stated they'd never work with the PANB.

That's how I understand it.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 09:21:31 »
I hadn't realized until reading this article the Liberal Party had a series of regional losses. 

https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/upstart-caq-party-wins-quebec-election-vote-tva-projects#gs.mgB=Zwk

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 10:36:21 »
A significant difference between US and Canadian politics is that provincial and federal parties are separate and distinct entities, and do not necessarily follow the same policies.  While there is some cross-over from Provincial to Federal (and vice versa) (see: Butts, GM), they frequently act independently and at cross purposes.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 11:14:45 »
Thanks !!