Author Topic: Combat Boots policy 2018-CANFORGEN 127/18  (Read 19203 times)

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
Re: Combat Boots policy 2018-CANFORGEN 127/18
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2018, 20:46:20 »
:facepalm: indeed...  :not-again:

Maybe in due course, Rocky can update their moulds.  The S2V is a stand up boot.  :2c:

Regards

G2G

Offline Piece of Cake

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2019, 10:26:43 »
Hello, I'm in need of some assistance with regards to the bootforgen.  I recently purchased a pair of boots from a well known manufacturer that happens to be in the US. I used my USD visa to pay for the boots. Unfortunately my clerk is saying the claim cannot be processed because it is not in Canadian funds.  The amount of the boots is well within the 340 Canadian dollar limit.  Also the canforgen does speak to foreign currency, "FUNDING ENTITLEMENT. REGULAR SHIPPING COSTS AND FOREIGN CURRENCY

EXCHANGE COSTS WILL BE REIMBURSED ONLY IF THEY ARE WITHIN THE 340"

It seems logical to me that the CAF can use the BOC exchange rate on the date of purchase and do the exchange. Anyone ever experienced this issue? And if so, was it resolved?
Policy is more than black and white.  We need to not only understand the spirit of why a policy was written, but also how the policy affects people.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2019, 10:41:10 »
Hello, I'm in need of some assistance with regards to the bootforgen.  I recently purchased a pair of boots from a well known manufacturer that happens to be in the US. I used my USD visa to pay for the boots. Unfortunately my clerk is saying the claim cannot be processed because it is not in Canadian funds.  The amount of the boots is well within the 340 Canadian dollar limit.  Also the canforgen does speak to foreign currency, "FUNDING ENTITLEMENT. REGULAR SHIPPING COSTS AND FOREIGN CURRENCY

It seems logical to me that the CAF can use the BOC exchange rate on the date of purchase and do the exchange. Anyone ever experienced this issue? And if so, was it resolved?

I would assume that if you had the receipt or credit card statement that showed the exchange rate, it would be good.  Also, a CC statement would show how much you paid in CAD.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2019, 10:42:48 »

Escalate the issue higher in your clerk's CoC, foreign currency claims are common and solved the way you laid out
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2019, 11:21:45 »
As stated above take your monthly Visa credit card statement that shows the Cdn$ amt and name of supplier along with your receipt which verifies the name of the supplier/amt from the Visa statement,  so the clk can correlate the two. The Visa statement should show the USD converted to Cdn$.

Is "my clk" the Chief Clk? If not, see the CC.

P.S the Bank of Canada exchange rate is not what Visa charges. Visa charges approx. $0.035 commission on each USD exchanged.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Piece of Cake

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2019, 11:49:00 »
As stated above take your monthly Visa credit card statement that shows the Cdn$ amt and name of supplier along with your receipt which verifies the name of the supplier/amt from the Visa statement,  so the clk can correlate the two. The Visa statement should show the USD converted to Cdn$.

Is "my clk" the Chief Clk? If not, see the CC.

P.S the Bank of Canada exchange rate is not what Visa charges. Visa charges approx. $0.035 commission on each USD exchanged.

As stated in the original post, this was charged to a USD visa. Thus it is posted to the card in US funds.
Policy is more than black and white.  We need to not only understand the spirit of why a policy was written, but also how the policy affects people.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2019, 11:59:08 »
As stated in the original post, this was charged to a USD visa. Thus it is posted to the card in US funds.

Solved easily by using the exchange rate at the BOC on that day
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Piece of Cake

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2019, 12:04:35 »
Solved easily by using the exchange rate at the BOC on that day

Thank you

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2019, 14:15:11 »
Piece of Cake, missed in your post that you used a USD credit card. Have you looked at this Cdn credit card?

Home Trust Preferred Visa Card.  No fee currency exchange.

https://www.hometrust.ca/credit-cards/preferred-visa-card/

•   No annual fee
•   1% CashBack with no limits to your total rewards
•   No restrictions on where you earn your rewards
•   Roadside Assist membership at no extra charge
•   No foreign currency conversion surcharges (US, Europe, etc)

Auto Rental Collision Insurance
Need to rent a car? Use your Visa when paying and you’ll get Visa’s Auto Rental Collision and Loss coverage.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2019, 17:55:30 »

Is "my clk" the Chief Clk? If not, see the CC. see the Unit FSA.

The Chief Clerk is an HRA and doesn't handle claims processing anymore or employ the FSAs that do.

This is a very simple matter. Whoever is saying this about it not being paid because it is USD is wrong. Escalate it to their supervisor, and if their supervisor doesn't correct it, grieve it. Seriously, do not let this one go, it's ridiculous.

The CF-52, for which boots are claimed on, even has "foreign currency" and "rate of exchange" written right on it for this purpose.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2019, 19:35:21 »
The Chief Clerk is an HRA and doesn't handle claims processing anymore or employ the FSAs that do.

Thanks. Been out for awhile. As a matter of fact on 4 Aug I get my 12 years of retirement CD. ;D

Offline Log Offr

• Rate Post
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2019, 17:36:15 »
I paid for mine in Euros and had zero problems getting my refund in Canadian dollars, converted by the Clerk at what the rate was on the day of purchase. Your Clerk is wrong, full stop. So, push back.

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2019, 04:44:31 »
The Clerk is incorrect in their determination that you are not entitled due to paying in USD funds.

Many of our military units proceed across international borders and require claims settled with exchange calculations, we even issue Foreign currencies at times.

IF you are talking with a Clerk, head to the 2IC Fin, if talking to the Fin Super Visor, head into the ICFin office, if that's not working head to the CClk's office(Likely an FSA but still has power in the OR's) and if they aren't helping, talk to your units Fin Officer(if they are around).

One of them should be of sound mind and be able to get the claim finalized for you.