Author Topic: 96-year-old ham radio operator makes an out-of-this world connection  (Read 262 times)

Offline BeyondTheNow

Commencing countdown, engines on.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
That must’ve been very exciting for her!

96-year-old ham radio operator makes
an out-of-this world connection

... You can send your signals to satellites. I’ve talked to people from the arctic to the Antarctic.” And on Wednesday at the Ontario Science Centre, the 96-year-old got to go even further...

... A ham radio connection, relayed through Northern Italy, allowed the senior and a group of students to speak with Commander Luca Parmitano aboard the International Space Station (ISS)...

...Moffat grew up in North Bay and moved to Toronto as a young girl with her family hoping that there would be opportunities for a girl interested in science and technology.
“When we moved to Toronto I desperately wanted to go to university, but my mom and dad had bought a house, and there was just enough money for my brother to go to university.” Undeterred, Moffat said she took a course in amateur radio and shortly after, got her licence.

More at link:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/96-year-old-ham-radio-operator-makes-an-out-of-this-world-connection-1.4779505
“I’m so sick of people thinking they can just waltz into my office when I’m obviously listening to music in 4/4.”

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: 96-year-old ham radio operator makes an out-of-this world connection
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:18:15 »
I was working in the 90's with a group of amateur ham radio enthusiasts and the Underwater Archaeology Society to setup a link from divers on a underwater wreck talking to the ISS through transducers and Ham radio. We had practised a few times setting up and sorting out the equipment, including having the divers talk to people in Toronto (in a traffic jam) and was waiting for permission and coordination with NASA, then one of the organizers was killed in a car accident and the project fell apart. This was in the 90's and we were using the old crashboat "Black Duck" as the support vessel.