Author Topic: Advantages of prior adventure sports exerience  (Read 1127 times)

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
Advantages of prior adventure sports exerience
« on: October 30, 2018, 13:46:35 »
Hello,

I've recently submitted my online application and received a confirmation email. Waiting to hear from from the recruiter(s) to procees further (I've left a phone message).

The application wasn't quite as comprehensive as I had anticipated. Didn't give me a chance to truly "sell" my qualifications. If that sounds weird, please know that the last application I wrote was for my Master's program, and it took days to complete. I guess the Canadian Forces prefer to do most of the evaluation later on in the process.

One of the things I could not include in my application was the fact that I have delved into the world of adventure sports. I've done, recreationally only (not certified), things like skydiving, scuba diving, ice-climbing, back-country camping, portaging, bungee jumping, glacier trekking, cliff-climbing, etc. (can't remember everything at the moment). In this regard, I have the following questions:

1. Do these things even matter to the Canadian Forces?
2. If so, when and how do I add them on my file?
3. Obviously, I would like to pursue para or dive courses if and when I make it into the Forces, and meet all the difficult requirements. Do they care if a candidate has already done some of these things?

Here's some background info, if relevant:

Trades selected: Engineer Officer, Pilot (long shot, I know)
Applying for Primary Reserves as DEO

Thanks

PS: Per the rules, I did my due diligence and searched the forums for info, and didn't find anything. Please don't whack me over the head for it.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Advantages of prior adventure sports exerience
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 16:18:08 »
Hello,

I've recently submitted my online application and received a confirmation email. Waiting to hear from from the recruiter(s) to procees further (I've left a phone message).

The application wasn't quite as comprehensive as I had anticipated. Didn't give me a chance to truly "sell" my qualifications. If that sounds weird, please know that the last application I wrote was for my Master's program, and it took days to complete. I guess the Canadian Forces prefer to do most of the evaluation later on in the process.

One of the things I could not include in my application was the fact that I have delved into the world of adventure sports. I've done, recreationally only (not certified), things like skydiving, scuba diving, ice-climbing, back-country camping, portaging, bungee jumping, glacier trekking, cliff-climbing, etc. (can't remember everything at the moment). In this regard, I have the following questions:

1. Do these things even matter to the Canadian Forces?
2. If so, when and how do I add them on my file?
3. Obviously, I would like to pursue para or dive courses if and when I make it into the Forces, and meet all the difficult requirements. Do they care if a candidate has already done some of these things?

Here's some background info, if relevant:

Trades selected: Engineer Officer, Pilot (long shot, I know)
Applying for Primary Reserves as DEO

Thanks

PS: Per the rules, I did my due diligence and searched the forums for info, and didn't find anything. Please don't whack me over the head for it.

Parachuting is absolutely achievable depending on how terrible a pilot you end up being.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 16:24:00 »
Parachuting is absolutely achievable depending on how terrible a pilot you end up being.
Or how old your aircraft is.

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 18:16:53 »
I was watching a documentary on YouTube in which they interviewed a few paratroopers, and they said the most difficult part of becoming a paratrooper is the mental aspect.

I assume that means getting over the fear of jumping out of a plane with 50lbs of gear. Would it be reasonable then to say that, when applying for the basic para course, somebody who has already jumped out of a place (civilian skydiving) would have an advantage over those who haven't yet done something like that?

Or is that wishful thinking on this newbies part?

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 18:47:30 »
Lol 50 lbs... that's just a bareass jump.

Unless you have your civilian skydiving license, it means very little. Most units pick bpara spots based on PT test scores and your PDRs.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 19:23:35 »
Would it be reasonable then to say that, when applying for the basic para course, somebody who has already jumped out of a place (civilian skydiving) would have an advantage over those who haven't yet done something like that?

I jumped out of a window once.  :)

From 2007 ( perhaps out of date )

skydiving
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,66526.0.html
2 pages.

Has anyone ever been able to go from the civilian licensing to being able to take the military jump course?

Civ licensing has no bearing on selection or loading for Basic Para.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 19:31:40 by mariomike »

Offline cld617

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 22:07:16 »
Your hobbies will have no bearing on whether or not you get Gucci courses unrelated to your trade, and bungee jumping certainly isn't a skill recruiters are looking potential recruits to have.

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 22:14:05 »
"Place" was a typo. I meant "Plane".

And thank you all for the information. It seems much of the selection process is based on physical fitness and luck. Luck being the better part.

Offline cld617

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 22:47:05 »
Not at all. Life experience counts, but it should be applicable to leadership and the job you're applying for.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 00:53:35 »
I was watching a documentary on YouTube in which they interviewed a few paratroopers, and they said the most difficult part of becoming a paratrooper is the mental aspect.

They're wrong... it's the physical part. Lots of running, pushups etc. ad nause.

Very few people ever 'refuse' to jump in a military context. The Army will train you so much that even parachuting becomes boring :)

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon