Author Topic: Toronto Area Reserve Taskings  (Read 755 times)

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
Toronto Area Reserve Taskings
« on: November 02, 2018, 17:04:37 »
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Over the last few weeks you guys have helped me clear up a lot of questions I had prior to application. The following excerpt from an email I received from a Toronto Scottish Regiment recruiter has popped up another few questions for me (newbie question alert):

"our newest tasking: Direct Fire Support.  This newest challenge given to the Toronto  Scottish Regiment includes operating the .50 Calibre Heavy Machine Gun and the C16 Automatic Grenade Launcher."

1. What exactly is a tasking, and what are the different types of taskings?
2. Where can I find a list of "taskings" for the units in my area; specifically: Toronto Scottish Regiment (Mississauga), Lorne Scots (Brampton), 32 Combat Engineers Regiment, Queens Own Rifles of Canada, Royal Regiment of Canada (all 3 in Toronto)

I do know that the QOR has a Parachute Company, which I assume is a "tasking".

I'll be visiting the 32 CER and Toronto Scottish open house in two weeks.

Thank you

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Toronto Area Reserve Taskings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 17:57:28 »
Read this, it may answer some of your questions.

http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/news-publications/national-news-details-no-menu.page?doc=backgrounder-strengthening-the-army-reserve-through-mission-tasks/jgb8dbj5

When this initiative was announced there was some discussion on these forums about the issue.  If you can't find it maybe someone will be along who will take the time to find it and point you in the direction.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 18:06:23 »
Some discussion here,

Reply #3226 >
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24381.msg1536139.html#msg1536139
"Starting in 2018, Army Reserve units will be assigned specific Mission Tasks: mortars, pioneers, light urban search and rescue, and direct fire support."

The following excerpt from an email I received from a Toronto Scottish Regiment recruiter has popped up another few questions for me (newbie question alert):

As always, your unit Recruiter is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 18:10:31 by mariomike »

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 20:22:51 »
Thank you all. So, if I understand correctly, a tasking is a speciality assigned to a unit? In essence, while all infantry units might train for all types of operations, a unit with an "urban search and rescue" tasking would spend more time doing that specific task?

Also, why do Reserve units not list their tasks on their page? Seems like the kind of information potential recruits would like to have.

I'm hoping to get more information on this in person in the coming weeks.

Offline kratz

Laughter drives the sun.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 20:31:04 »
Thank you all. So, if I understand correctly, a tasking is a speciality assigned to a unit? In essence, while all infantry units might train for all types of operations, a unit with an "urban search and rescue" tasking would spend more time doing that specific task?

Also, why do Reserve units not list their tasks on their page? Seems like the kind of information potential recruits would like to have.

I'm hoping to get more information on this in person in the coming weeks.

All employers enjoy the ability to be flexible.
Detailing the minutia of potential jobs is mind numbing.
The job is to recruit people, not scare them away.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.