Author Topic: The Great Toque and Glove Conundrum, Solved  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
The Great Toque and Glove Conundrum, Solved
« on: November 23, 2018, 21:45:10 »
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline BurmaShave

• Rate Post
  • Hates lines.
Re: The Great Toque and Glove Conundrum, Solved
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 21:56:44 »
Needs flight suits on the RCAF side. Not that anyone understands flight suit dress regs.
YQR Pirep from DH8: And it’s hard to fly an airplane, in the cold November rain

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 22:13:41 »
Needs flight suits on the RCAF side. Not that anyone understands flight suit dress regs.

Don't give them any ideas.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 23:00:16 »
LOL, how about the door gunner from the Argylls on 3-08? His dress of the day during workup in Pet was flight suit with Glengarry. You want to see some cranky RCR NCOs...
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 23:06:37 »
LOL, how about the door gunner from the Argylls on 3-08? His dress of the day during workup in Pet was flight suit with Glengarry. You want to see some cranky RCR NCOs...

The mental image of them spinning, but not being able to jack him up b/c he's totally correct, pleases me.

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 23:21:46 »

I have the right to not jump in here but I will. As long as we have all kinds of regiments the CAF will have difficulty enforcing dress regs.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 23:48:17 »
The mental image of them spinning, but not being able to jack him up b/c he's totally correct, pleases me.

It pleased a lot of people.

I have the right to not jump in here but I will. As long as we have all kinds of regiments the CAF will have difficulty enforcing dress regs.

But he did nothing wrong. There was no dress reg not being enforced. That was his appropriate headdress as a member of a regiment which wore that as their garrison headdress for NCOs. Does it look weird as hell? Yes. Was it silly? Yes. But it was 100% legit. The fact that nobody in times past foresaw toons leaning out the side door of helicopters, and consequently never wrote dress regs to prevent the Glengarry/flight suit fiasco was not his problem.

It's too bad he didn't wear it while flying. There would have been something majestic about those two black tassels flapping in the wind from behind a side mounted minigun...
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 23:58:34 »
It's too bad he didn't wear it while flying. There would have been something majestic about those two black tassels flapping in the wind from behind a side mounted minigun...

Well that would have been FOD (Foreign Object Debris), and it's tough to explain to the boss why your hat-tails caused the helo to crash.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 23:59:24 »
Well that would have been FOD (Foreign Object Debris), and it's tough to explain to the boss why your hat-tails caused the helo to crash.

Ah, but you don't have to, because you're dead. Gloriously.

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 09:44:00 »
It pleased a lot of people.

But he did nothing wrong. There was no dress reg not being enforced. That was his appropriate headdress as a member of a regiment which wore that as their garrison headdress for NCOs. Does it look weird as hell? Yes. Was it silly? Yes. But it was 100% legit. The fact that nobody in times past foresaw toons leaning out the side door of helicopters, and consequently never wrote dress regs to prevent the Glengarry/flight suit fiasco was not his problem.

Totally understood. I think my point is that despite our tolerance for things outside the mainstream some cannot tolerate Regimental customs etc.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 10:44:36 »
Totally understood. I think my point is that despite our tolerance for things outside the mainstream some cannot tolerate Regimental customs etc.

Copy.

I don't know if it's at this point 'myth, passed into legend', but does anyone have the real story on the RCAF subbie some years ago who, while allegedly posted OJT to 427 squadron, and without yet having earned his RCAF cap badge, was (again allegedly) quite properly wearing his old RCR death star on a blue beret and causing much consternation?

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 11:19:23 »
Came across this article about a week ago - Now I have found a home for it.

http://www.craigrobertdouglas.co.uk/punk-history-military-ally-ness/?fbclid=IwAR2_0QuqYrc6cF7ujCOumF2SeayIyP4HfanvaEIhMfu2ZRA0GVAfU-C6s1g

A Punk History Of Military Cool, or the pursuit of ally – ness

Then

....The Origins of Ally
I’m going to give you a flavour of how the British army has always valued unconventional military fashion.  Here’s an excerpt from Cornelius Ryan’s masterful account of Operation Market Garden, ‘A Bridge too Far’. An observer describes the audience for Lt. Gen. Brian Horrocks’ briefing –

There was a real casualness about everyone’s attire… most commanders were dressed in ‘sniper’s smocks, parachutist’s jackets and jeep coats over brightly coloured slacks, corduroys, riding breeches or even jodhpurs’. Instead of ties many sported ascots or ‘scarves of various colours’.

Now

The Circle of Ally
Or, is anti- ally the new ally? One of my sources writes…

I was flying back from Cyprus, and in the departure area at Akrotiri were a number of soldiers returning from Afghanistan. They were ally ‘d up to the eyeballs – a fortune had been spent at Silverman’s by this lot.

Nobody really noticed the unassuming group of about 20 guys who were all dressed in issued kit (Salomon boots excluded) keeping a low profile. No points for guessing who they were….

"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 12:12:00 »
Copy.

I don't know if it's at this point 'myth, passed into legend', but does anyone have the real story on the RCAF subbie some years ago who, while allegedly posted OJT to 427 squadron, and without yet having earned his RCAF cap badge, was (again allegedly) quite properly wearing his old RCR death star on a blue beret and causing much consternation?

If this is indeed true, then perhaps the individuals responsible for dress should spend less time ******* around with gloves and toques (not in the dress manual btw) and crack down on asshats who try to push the limits.

From the dress manual.  “Component and Occupational Transfers. Members who have previously been qualified in their former occupation shall wear the cap badge of their new branch effective on the date of their component or occupational transfer.”

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 12:21:01 »
As an aside are you now allowed to wear fleece toques in garrison or must you still sport “toque, OD itchy scratchy “? 😉

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 12:22:19 »
Copy.

It was one day, and more a lark than anything, and he had the eagle on the day after.  Not sure how much consternation there could have been, given the only other guys sporting the ‘Death Star’ at the Squadron were not of the ‘get wound up trying to enforce highly personalized interpretations of vague and conflicting dress regs’ ilk.

Regards
G2G

Offline Eagle Eye View

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 12:25:24 »
As an aside are you now allowed to wear fleece toques in garrison or must you still sport “toque, OD itchy scratchy “? 😉

Not sure about the CA but the RCAF wear the fleece blue tuque with operational dress. The older light blue scratchy one is for DEU only.
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.

John F. Kennedy

LightFighter

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 12:25:57 »

The Army issues a fleece toque now. 

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 12:45:09 »
Rumour has it that the CO of one Tac Hel squadron got a custom rank patch made up for his CADPAT: an Air Force blue pip and crown.  Allegedly, the Army didn't know any better, and the RCAF just assumed it was correct...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 12:55:25 »
Rumour has it that the CO of one Tac Hel squadron got a custom rank patch made up for his CADPAT: an Air Force blue pip and crown.  Allegedly, the Army didn't know any better, and the RCAF Commander just assumed it was correct...

;)

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 13:24:23 »
Not sure about the CA but the RCAF wear the fleece blue tuque with operational dress. The older light blue scratchy one is for DEU only.

frig that noise.  Wear the Yukon cap!

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 13:55:37 »

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 14:26:24 »
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 14:32:27 by Hamish Seggie »

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 12:29:28 »

My toque is black.  It's always fashionable - for operational dress.  Wearing it in service dress is an abomination!
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.