Author Topic: Presidents Need to Visit the Troops  (Read 7520 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Presidents Need to Visit the Troops
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 01:05:32 »
Sadly due to the demise of conscription we may not see another President who has had military service.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 01:08:27 »
Sadly due to the demise of conscription we may not see another President who has had military service.

Or who has dodged the draft....
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 02:23:19 »
Or who has dodged the draft....
Or who has recieved a deferment.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:12 »
Not so sure about that. 

Plenty of politicians have military experience.  And with things like the Gulf wars, Iraq and Afghanistan we may see more in the future.

I think it is more of a function that maybe Americans don't care anymore if their politicians have that experience like they did in the past.  Trump supporters at the very least don't seem to mind a president who does not visit troops, makes fun of Gold star parents, war heroes and distinguished military career types.

John McCain ran against Obama.  Obama had zero military experience and won.  His supporters didn't seem to care much about that sort of thing either. 

Edit: The point about conscription is actually a good one.  If your kids are going to be drafted you might want a leader who understands the military or has experienced it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:39:32 by Remius »
Optio

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2018, 08:55:07 »
Edit: The point about conscription is actually a good one.  If your kids are going to be drafted you might want a leader who understands the military or has experienced it.

Which is why the British Royals all do some kind of military service.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 22:00:55 »

Governor General visits 17 Wing

. . .

Wing commander Col. Eric Charron was glad the Governor General took the time to meet with members in-person.

"Seeing the people, shaking hands, asking them what gets them excited about their job and giving them a chance to see someone of that importance really paying attention to their day-to-day jobs," he said. "We’re very happy to have her here."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our-communities/metro/Governor-General-visits-17-Wing-501798652.html

:subbies:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 22:03:33 by FJAG »
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 22:22:51 »
Works for me.

After all, unlike the PM, she IS our Commander in chief, as representative of the Queen of Canada.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 11:58:34 »
Works for me.

After all, unlike the PM, she IS our Commander in chief, as representative of the Queen of Canada.

Yup. Good on her!

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 13:56:34 »
Pressing the flesh is one thing, then there's a whole other way of interacting with the troops.

https://www.gg.ca/en/activities/2018/visit-newfoundland-and-labrador
September 21, 2018

The Governor General learned about Labrador’s rich Indigenous history through the exhibits on display at the Labrador Interpretation Centre. While visiting Canadian Armed Forces personnel at 5 Wing Goose Bay, she participated in a familiarization flight on board a CH-146 Griffon helicopter.

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 14:00:24 »
Pressing the flesh is one thing, then there's a whole other way of interacting with the troops.

https://www.gg.ca/en/activities/2018/visit-newfoundland-and-labrador

Did anyone tell the FE he's not part of the RCR anymore?   :whistle:
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2018, 19:01:37 »
Credit where it’s due.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/trudeau-pays-surprise-pre-christmas-visit-to-troops-in-mali-1.4229028?fbclid=IwAR0X724kRjCS5lT9FcK2Wxa89JbOYUbSpf8TEhP8yO40wxwFedaXZMjdi-M

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau paid a surprise pre-Christmas visit to Canadian troops in Mali on Saturday.

Trudeau shared a turkey dinner with the soldiers stationed at Camp Castor near Gao. He thanked them for their service and dropped off a foosball table, CTV’s Glen McGregor reports from Africa.

The delegation, which has since left Mali, also included Minister of National Defence Harjit Sajjan and Chief of Defence Staff Jonathan Vance. They were on the ground for about five hours, during which Trudeau met with Malian president Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga.

Canada joined the dangerous United Nations peacekeeping mission in Mali in June, with a one-year commitment. Trudeau would not say Saturday whether he plans to extend the mission past July.

The Canadian Forces have six helicopters and approximately 250 military personnel in the African country, which has been destabilized by poverty, drought and Islamic extremism.

A total of 177 peacekeepers have been killed since the international peacekeeping mission began in 2013.

The main contributors to the 15,000-strong UN force are nearby African countries. Bangladesh, China and Germany also have a significant presence.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 21:34:22 »
Whereas you-know-who, before the budget/wall debacle, had planned on 16 days and nights at Mar-a-Lago.  :facepalm:

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2018, 21:54:48 »
Canadians eat turkey during the holidays ? :D

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2018, 18:13:57 »
Canadians eat turkey during the holidays ? :D

There's a brief span of months from mid July to late October where they can survive up here, and we get enough of the migratory variety that Turkey for Christmas caught on fairly easily. Generally they're harvested late October before they start heading south again and are frozen for sale. That's why our grocery stores generally have quite an array of frozen turkey in the latter half of December.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2018, 18:19:47 »
Do you prefer turkey or ham for Xmas or perhaps prime rib ?

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2018, 18:33:06 »
Turducken.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2018, 22:28:33 »
Do you prefer turkey or ham for Xmas or perhaps prime rib ?

It's not a matter of having to choose. Christmas eve dinner is a large ham while Christmas day dinner is a turkey. After that its just pounds and pounds of ham and turkey leftovers in many imaginative variations.   ;D

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2018, 23:01:41 »
Sounds good to me. :christmas happy:

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2018, 14:36:52 »
President Trump and wife are on the ground now in Iraq.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 14:41:55 by Rifleman62 »
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 15:09:29 »
Very good. The visit should boost morale.

https://www.foxnews.com/

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2018, 21:43:34 »
Very good. The visit should boost morale.

https://www.foxnews.com/

It may have.  It may have also exposed that a team was in Al Asad Airbase thanks to a photo op.  I'm personally taking this with a grain of salt b/c it wasn't like there was a huge banner saying "SEAL Team 5 and POTUS 2018!", but it still seems weird to not have faces blurred.

In the pool report of the trip — which was embargoed to help protect the Trumps’ safety in Iraq — the president asked the chaplain of Seal Team 5, Lieutenant Commander Kyu Lee, to take a picture with him, revealing the presence of the special-ops team at the al-Asad Airbase in western Iraq. When Trump left Iraqi airspace, he posted a video in which he and the First Lady pause for photos with members of Seal Team 5, decked out in full battle gear and night-vision goggles.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/trump-exposes-location-identities-of-navy-seals-in-iraq.html?utm_campaign=nym&utm_medium=s1&utm_source=fb&fbclid=IwAR0fRdtSzx_L09GxrgpIX_zPGLdR9P1xU-7a28kmjvk-XUBuYRJx3di6Zhk
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2018, 07:32:18 »
It may have.  It may have also exposed that a team was in Al Asad Airbase thanks to a photo op.  I'm personally taking this with a grain of salt b/c it wasn't like there was a huge banner saying "SEAL Team 5 and POTUS 2018!", but it still seems weird to not have faces blurred.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/trump-exposes-location-identities-of-navy-seals-in-iraq.html?utm_campaign=nym&utm_medium=s1&utm_source=fb&fbclid=IwAR0fRdtSzx_L09GxrgpIX_zPGLdR9P1xU-7a28kmjvk-XUBuYRJx3di6Zhk

I've come to dislike Donald Trump.  I am glad he visited the troops which was something long overdue.  The criticism levelled at him for that is fair game as far as I am concerned.  But the media is tripping over themselves to find every little thing they can to diminish his visit.

Someone, should have properly briefed the President on OPSEC policies, the SEALs probably should not have put themselves in that situation to begin with or at least they should have had a PR (PAFFO type) deal with that.  The president will take the blame but really the handlers and staff should have dealt with all of that.   I also would not have known that SEAL Team 5 was there until the media reported it...

Good on him for finally going (probably because of the bad press but I digress) but the logistics and security issues are someone else's fault. 
Optio

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2018, 08:32:15 »
Good on him for finally going (probably because of the bad press but I digress) ......

What do you mean by that? Reports started by NBC on 26 Dec, and picked up by all the MSN, David Akin in Canada, Twitter, etc slamming Trump for not visiting the troops at Christmas?

He and his wife (the first "First Lady" to visit a combat zone) were on Air Force One and almost in Iraq when the reports started. You don't get a POTUS visit off the cuff.

Trump signed MAGA hats the troops had (not as MSN reported that Trump gave them out), had a photo Op with SEALS, only visited as he was outed by MSN, and whatever else the MSN can dig up because they hate him. Some journalism.

Meanwhile Trudeau continues to smile and walks on water according to our loving Cdn MSN who spend all their time mimicking the US MSN on Trump.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:38:24 by Rifleman62 »
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2018, 08:38:57 »
What do you mean by that? Reports started by NBC on 26 Dec, and picked up by all the MSN, David Akin in Canada, Twitter, etc slamming Trump for not visiting the troops at Christmas?

He and his wife (the first "First Lady" to visit a combat zone) were on Air Force One and almost in Iraq when the reports started. You don't get a POTUS visit off the cuff.

no, those reports and criticisms go back a bit.  Over a month ago.  Probably started more or less after Rememberance day.

Here is just one...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-told-aides-hes-afraid-to-visit-troops-in-combat-zones-report

and another by the Washington post dated Nov 22nd

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2018/11/20/why-lincoln-eisenhower-obama-visited-troops-combat-trump-hasnt/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aa2edd3a0109

Optio