Author Topic: Defense Secretary Mattis Is Out  (Read 7408 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Defense Secretary Mattis Is Out
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2018, 09:52:24 »
If you disagree with the policy,quit.

I feel your answer wouldn't be the same if Clinton won.

If someone believes a policy is really really shitty shouldn't they try to change it instead of just quitting?  Our military has had some shitty policies that we had to fight and change and we're better for it. Or is that apples and oranges?

Why did the US invade Syria and get involved in their civil war in the first place?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2018, 10:25:34 »
Why did the US invade Syria and get involved in their civil war in the first place?

The US never invaded Syria.  It started escalating its involvement in the Civil War in 2014 when ISIL established its caliphate.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2018, 10:39:35 »
I feel your answer wouldn't be the same if Clinton won.

If someone believes a policy is really really shitty shouldn't they try to change it instead of just quitting?  Our military has had some shitty policies that we had to fight and change and we're better for it. Or is that apples and oranges?

Depends. Fighting to change a policy is one thing.  Enforcing and enabling one you fundamentally and ethically disagree with is another.  Sometimes stepping down is the right path for certain people who have strong principles.
Optio

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2018, 16:46:23 »
The US never invaded Syria.  It started escalating its involvement in the Civil War in 2014 when ISIL established its caliphate.

They started supplying anti-government Syrian rebels with food, vehicles, cash and training w. Rebels who in turn were trying to oust the president of Syria. They invited themselves to become involved in another countries civil war. Isn't that basically an invasion?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2018, 17:25:51 »
No.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2018, 19:17:33 »
They started supplying anti-government Syrian rebels with food, vehicles, cash and training w. Rebels who in turn were trying to oust the president of Syria. They invited themselves to become involved in another countries civil war. Isn't that basically an invasion?

As long as your invited by the party holding that particular region, then no. The Syrian government claim to ownership of that land is by the barrel of a gun anyways , so good for the goose, good for the gander.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2019, 09:32:09 »
For the record, here's the A/DefSec's statement coming into office ...
Under the direction of President Trump, the Department of Defense remains focused on safeguarding our nation. We have deep respect for Secretary Mattis’ lifetime of service, and it has been a privilege to serve as his deputy secretary.

As acting secretary of defense, I now look forward to working with President Trump to carry out his vision alongside strong leaders including the service secretaries, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the combatant commanders, and senior personnel in the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

The Department of Defense continues to be one of our nation’s bedrock institutions. Our foundational strength lies in the remarkable men and women who volunteer to serve our country and protect our freedoms, while making immense personal sacrifice. It is an honor to work with such a dedicated team committed to the greatness of our nation.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2019, 04:44:30 »
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2019, 18:42:55 »
Radm Sweeny I suspect was the force behind a drone strike that killed the man behind the USS Cole bombing. I like it.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/al-qaeda-operative-tied-to-uss-cole-bombing-killed-in-us-airstrike-trump-says

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2019, 19:06:53 »
Radm Sweeny I suspect was the force behind a drone strike that killed the man behind the USS Cole bombing. I like it.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/al-qaeda-operative-tied-to-uss-cole-bombing-killed-in-us-airstrike-trump-says

Good catch. Potentially the “closure” he needed to retire in peace?
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2019, 12:14:26 »

The good thing about this event is that it reminds would be terrorist that sooner or later they will get you.