Author Topic: Military reports 15 suicides in 2018 despite new prevention strategy  (Read 887 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Military reports 15 suicides in 2018 despite new prevention strategy

The results, based on a comprehensive review of records from 1976 to 2012, showed that the risk of suicide among male veterans of all ages was 36 per cent higher than in men who had never served in the Canadian military.

Even more worrying was that the risk was significantly higher among younger male veterans, with those under 25 being 242 per cent more likely to kill themselves than non-veterans of the same age.

The risk among female veterans was also found to be alarmingly high: 81 per cent greater than for women who hadn't served. Age was not found to be as significant a factor when it came to female veterans.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-suicide-redouble-efforts-1.4972291?cmp=newsletter-news-digests-canada-and-world-evening
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Re: Military reports 15 suicides in 2018 despite new prevention strategy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 19:19:28 »
This is not good news. Suicide is still regarded by some as “weakness” and if those people who believe that are in positions of power then tragedies will continue to happen.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 19:31:00 »
Military reports 15 suicides in 2018 despite new prevention strategy

The results, based on a comprehensive review of records from 1976 to 2012, showed that the risk of suicide among male veterans of all ages was 36 per cent higher than in men who had never served in the Canadian military.

Even more worrying was that the risk was significantly higher among younger male veterans, with those under 25 being 242 per cent more likely to kill themselves than non-veterans of the same age.

The risk among female veterans was also found to be alarmingly high: 81 per cent greater than for women who hadn't served. Age was not found to be as significant a factor when it came to female veterans.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-suicide-redouble-efforts-1.4972291?cmp=newsletter-news-digests-canada-and-world-evening

Two different things being quoted there- the first line has to do with serving member suicides, 15 this past year. No progress. The latte rhas to do with the suicide mortality survey for veterans that was released in late 2017.

We're due soon for another edition of the CAF suicide mortality study. The last one that was published broke down five year cohorts and found no statistically significant increase in suicide mortality for serving CAF members... *but* the last/most recent cohort used fewer years, and the trend had been increasing and was a short and curly hair away from statistical significance. I suspect the next version will show military members to have a statistically significant higher risk of suicide.

This is a subject close to my heart as some here know. It sucks that we're still not making much of a dent in this. This is something every single one of us has to take ownership of- looking after our colleagues and comrades, the guys we might now have heard from in a while, and leading by example and having the courage of convictions to stop the sort of bullshit people do that pushes others to the brink. This isn't something that will be solved by generals and colonels, but it's something that corporal and sergeants and lieutenants can make a meaningful dent in.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Online Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 19:45:36 »
Two different things being quoted there- the first line has to do with serving member suicides, 15 this past year. No progress. The latte rhas to do with the suicide mortality survey for veterans that was released in late 2017.

We're due soon for another edition of the CAF suicide mortality study. The last one that was published broke down five year cohorts and found no statistically significant increase in suicide mortality for serving CAF members... *but* the last/most recent cohort used fewer years, and the trend had been increasing and was a short and curly hair away from statistical significance. I suspect the next version will show military members to have a statistically significant higher risk of suicide.

This is a subject close to my heart as some here know. It sucks that we're still not making much of a dent in this. This is something every single one of us has to take ownership of- looking after our colleagues and comrades, the guys we might now have heard from in a while, and leading by example and having the courage of convictions to stop the sort of bullshit people do that pushes others to the brink. This isn't something that will be solved by generals and colonels, but it's something that corporal and sergeants and lieutenants can make a meaningful dent in.

Well said. It has to be a grass roots initiative. Who spends the most time with the troops? Sergeants and MCpls.
Col Bob Ritchie had an excellent program in 2 VP.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".