Author Topic: System Upgrade: Please Report Problems  (Read 220495 times)

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: System Upgrade: Please Report Problems
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2018, 19:30:48 »
Chased down a high CPU issue and either fixed it... or didn't. :)

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2018, 19:44:47 »
At approx 2100hrs NDT had this error might have been related to your tinkering:

Service Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2019, 05:00:11 »
Well folks, yesterday I activated a new security feature, which caused some problems. For those who care, I enabled TLSv3, which is the latest encryption protocol. It's the "s" in https. Currently, just about everywhere uses TLSv2, but I enabled v3 in addition. The problems stemmed from a few issues, but basically 2 big causes. If you use an old browser it won't support TLSv3. I strongly advise you update! :D Also, TLSv3 cannot be decrypted by proxies like TLSv2 can be, so most work sites (including DND) block it because they can't see what you're doing.

I've turned it off for now, but I will work to find a way, as it provides increased security capabilities.

Cheers
Mike

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #453 on: February 02, 2019, 06:21:32 »
Well folks, yesterday I activated a new security feature, which caused some problems. For those who care, I enabled TLSv3, which is the latest encryption protocol. It's the "s" in https. Currently, just about everywhere uses TLSv2, but I enabled v3 in addition. The problems stemmed from a few issues, but basically 2 big causes. If you use an old browser it won't support TLSv3. I strongly advise you update! :D Also, TLSv3 cannot be decrypted by proxies like TLSv2 can be, so most work sites (including DND) block it because they can't see what you're doing.

I've turned it off for now, but I will work to find a way, as it provides increased security capabilities.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. I first noted I couldn’t access any of our sites yesterday at around 09-0930 EST from my mobile device. I continued to check approx once or twice an hour from both my phone and work computer throughout the day with no luck. I noticed I could access it again at around 18-1830.

Your information explains work access difficulties (the DWAN gets angry at internet activity very easily ;) ), but I’m surprised my mobile device was affected. I haven’t done the most recent iOS update, but otherwise I wouldn’t consider anything out of date. Hopefully you’re able to work around things, as I don’t think more security is a bad thing. (Although it would be lousy not being able to access the site from work. It’s a great lunch-hour and/or slow-day filler for me.)
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #454 on: February 02, 2019, 06:55:27 »
A big part of the issue was that yesterday, I enabled only TLSv3. This morning I enabled both v2 and v3, so folks should have better luck. :)

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Your example, not your opinion, can cause change
« Reply #455 on: February 02, 2019, 08:11:51 »
I first noted I couldn’t access any of our sites yesterday at around 09-0930 EST from my mobile device.
I had the opposite situation;  no access with laptop, but I could get in via the cell phone.

So I guess I have to act on those irritating spams that pop-up saying "Do you want to switch to Chrome?" to update the browser.  ;)
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #456 on: February 02, 2019, 09:51:11 »
... I first noted I couldn’t access any of our sites yesterday at around 09-0930 EST from my mobile device. I continued to check approx once or twice an hour from both my phone and work computer throughout the day with no luck. I noticed I could access it again at around 18-1830.

That parallels my experience: I don't know what time I noticed I couldn't access it, mid-afternoon I think ... but I did try with both my Mac (using both Chrome and Safari) and with my iPhone, again using both Chrome and Safari. I did make sure both browsers were up to date on both devices. Then, at about 1830 Hrs, Bingo!
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #457 on: February 02, 2019, 09:53:42 »

Cheers
Mike

Site works today via DWAN...yesterday not so much...
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #458 on: February 02, 2019, 10:07:03 »
I couldn't load the site from my bookmark but could if I Googled it.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #459 on: February 02, 2019, 10:23:09 »
No problems here in AZ.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #460 on: February 02, 2019, 17:40:35 »
Hopefully green across the board as of today. If you still have issues please let me know! (Somehow...)