Author Topic: CPC Leadership Potentials if Scheer Implodes  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
CPC Leadership Potentials if Scheer Implodes
« on: February 14, 2019, 17:13:50 »
Interesting comment.

Is that indeed the view in the Liberal East?  Out here in Conservative Lethbridge we don't get that kind of scuttlebutt.

Well who would be his successor? Let’s say he gets defeated next election.  No way he stays on.  Who would replace him?  Who might? It is becoming closer to reality with this latest scandal.  It’s not just a liberal view but a political view regardless of your stripe.  She’s one of his stronger ministers heading one of the more important portfolios. 

if Scheer loses the election who might succeed him? It isn’t a partisan question.
Optio

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: CPC Leadership Potentials if Scheer Implodes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 17:16:33 »
if Scheer loses the election who might succeed him? It isn’t a partisan question.

There's a bunch in the shadow cabinet that could do it, and Peter McKay has kept his foot in the water via political commentary.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 17:21:00 »
There's a bunch in the shadow cabinet that could do it, and Peter McKay has kept his foot in the water via political commentary.

My thoughts exactly.  But if scheer wins or holds the Liberals to a minority that door will close for good likely. 
Optio

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 19:18:24 »
We screwed our self out of Rona Ambrose.  I have no doubt she would have beat JT, Telford and Butts.

Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 19:49:10 »
My thoughts exactly.  But if scheer wins or holds the Liberals to a minority that door will close for good likely.

Honestly I thought if Scheer held the Libs to a minority, he'd get another shot... he may still, but it would be a mistake for the CPC. While an election is still a long ways away, if he can't beat Trudeau given the past 3.5 years + this current scandal + Norman affair which will still be nice and fresh come October, then why bother letting him lead the party into another election... the Liberals are literally beating themselves, jumping up and down on their own plumbing, and there are still major doubts about whether or not they win again.

Most of the big names stayed out of the last CPC race because they thought Trudeau would be at least a two-term PM.... they've been proven wrong, and if Scheer isn't the PM after the next election, those folks will be out for blood. I'd guess Peter McKay and Rona Ambrose would throw their names in the ring for sure.

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 20:03:32 »
An Ambrose, McKay combo would be deadly.  Not sure either would be willing to play second fiddle though...

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 20:56:15 »

Most of the big names stayed out of the last CPC race because they thought Trudeau would be at least a two-term PM.... they've been proven wrong,

Not yet.  But the LPC has a chink in their armour now.
Optio

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 20:59:23 »

The chink in their armour has always been there, people are now just waking up. This is still the Sponsorship/Adscam/HRDC Boondoggle party from the 1990s.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 22:34:50 »

You're right, I worded that stupidly. It's purely speculating on my part on a "what if" but if the CPC had even half a leader this election would be in the bag. What I mean to communicate is, those who didn't run because they thought Trudeau would get at least two terms are probably thinking "FFS, I should have ran..." right about now.

EDIT to add:

If Ambrose did this on purpose, she's a political genius. Coming in as interim leader, all she needed to do was keep the ship straight and she'd look like a winner. She did a great job of that, and walked away.... probably thinking like many that Trudeau would need at least 2 elections to defeat. She could now walk back in as the hero who came back to save the party and form government.

I'd be less cracked up about McKay. I sure don't forget how out of touch he became to the point that he was making stupid, boneheaded decisions essentially out of hubris.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 22:46:02 by ballz »

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 22:37:03 »
You're right, I worded that stupidly. It's purely speculating on my part on a "what if" but if the CPC had even half a leader this election would be in the bag. What I mean to communicate is, those who didn't run because they thought Trudeau would get at least two terms are probably thinking "FFS, I should have ran..." right about now.

Totally agree.
Optio

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 23:34:42 »
Ambrose would knock it out of the park.  CPC just needs to figure out how Scheer can gracefully take a knee.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 00:06:22 »
Ambrose would knock it out of the park.  CPC just needs to figure out how Scheer can gracefully take a knee.

Or Michelle Rempel, or Candice Bergen.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 05:17:46 »
Or Michelle Rempel, or Candice Bergen.

Both excellent MPs and would great ministers, I suspect.  But I, like others,  think Ambrose is the best the CPC has.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 13:19:30 »
I subscribed to Michelle Rempel's Youtube channel some time ago, and am very impressed by her passion, energy, determination, and quick-thinking.

Any one of those three women, though, would be most excellent.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 16:35:56 »

I haven't been following since Ambrose left as interim leader, but wasn't there something about her not being able to run?  Or was it that she couldn't run right after becoming interim leader?
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 16:40:50 »
As I recall at the time, the interim leader could not run for leader.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 22:40:25 »
As I recall at the time, the interim leader could not run for leader.
  :nod: 

Ambrose, Rempel, Bergen, Riatt (in my descending order of capability) all show that genuine, non-jingoistic, capable women can represent a very valid and worthy flavour of modern feminism that doesn’t smell of mansplaining, pandering and virtue-signaling hollow feminism.

I truly wish something develops on the CPC side of the House for Rona to return to the leadership position she held so capably.

Regards
G2G

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 23:22:05 »
Not sure why we're completely writing off Scheer. More and more polls are showing statistical tie or Conservative lead, including the latest from Campaign Research: https://www.hilltimes.com/2019/02/15/conservatives-overtake-liberals-lead-snc-lavalin-affair-threatens-imperil-trudeaus-re-election-bid-poll-suggests/189118 which gives the Tories a 5 point lead.

Last year the Tories out fundraised the Liberals in every quarter, so Trudeau won't drop the writ until the very last moment so he can capitalize on third party support outside the writ. If the snowball that is SNC-Lavalin keeps rolling downhill, Scheer could conceivably ride a similar wave as Doug Ford into power: You run a Figure 11 target that's not Liberal as your leader and you win. The NDP are a non-factor right now, and really will only chip away at Liberal votes anyways should they see a resurgence when they finally have a leader in the Commons.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 23:45:43 »
You run a Figure 11 target that's not Liberal as your leader and you win.

That's why everyone is writing off Scheer, because even a figure 11 could do a better job.

He may manage to win the next election... through absolutely nothing but Scheer dumb luck (pun intended).... but if he doesn't, I can't see how the CPC can keep him given that even a Figure 11 could beat Trudeau. That's where this conversation sort of started.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2019, 00:08:28 »
  :nod: 

Ambrose, Rempel, Bergen, Riatt (in my descending order of capability) all show that genuine, non-jingoistic, capable women can represent a very valid and worthy flavour of modern feminism that doesn’t smell of mansplaining, pandering and virtue-signaling hollow feminism.

I truly wish something develops on the CPC side of the House for Rona to return to the leadership position she held so capably.

Regards
G2G

I have a lot of respect for her.  If she were to run, I would be knocking on doors for her.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2019, 08:44:09 »
I sure hope you don't mean knocking on doors the way you did it in the Sandbox.   ;D

Anyone willing to suggest the return of Belinda? :o

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2019, 11:07:10 »
I sure hope you don't mean knocking on doors the way you did it in the Sandbox.   ;D

Anyone willing to suggest the return of Belinda? :o
She's too busy suing / being sued by her father right now...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2019, 14:42:11 »
My, personal, choice in the last leadership campaign was Erin O'Toole, but I, too, would have preferred Rona Ambrose.

In my opinion Ms Rempel, and another young Albertan named Natalie Pon, represent the CPC's future ~ young, urban, nationalist, socially moderate, fiscally prudent, etc ~ but neither is, yet, sufficiently bilingual. Ditto, I think for Ms Bergen, I'm not sure about Lisa Raitt.

I know that will rub a few people the wrong way but the fact is that we are officially, constitutionally bilingual country and a leader must be able to speak to and understand people in the other official language at least as well as Jean Chrétien did; that's not an incredibly high bar.

Just my  :2c:
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 14:53:36 »
My fear is that the moment the Conservatives trot out a female leader, the Liberals will be gleefully salivating and quick to call up the ghost of Kim Campbell's leadership.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 15:58:46 »
Doubtful.  In the current social/political milieu, parties of the left and centre-left will have to tread very carefully when criticizing any CPC candidate who is not "white" and "male".
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.