Author Topic: Accidentally bought a yacht  (Read 4554 times)

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Accidentally bought a yacht
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 17:05:58 »
On a positive note, Abdullah, your wife is getting savvy enough to know about some key factors to sailing...interest is a good thing....perhaps, so long as it doesn’t become ‘administratively burdensome administratively’.... :warstory:

Regards
G2G

I may have to hear the war story some time.. ;)

He might want to consider letting her do the navigating...

Well as I understand it when a sailor wants to go right he turns left, due to the copious amounts of Rum he has imbibed. So since we don't drink having a power struggle over navigation could be fun.

But yeah, in all seriousness if I want her to be interested in sailing she needs something to do instead of just cooking the food. To be honest I'm not tech savvy at all, so it make sense she navigates lol

We have radar on this beast, AIS, installing sonar and a new chart plotter, and of course a fish finder and the stereo system and the radar and chart plotter will be mirroring to our devices. All the while having this all set up to the auto pilot... cruising along out in the ocean or the interior channels.. I'd screw it up.. she could handle it.

Abdullah

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 18:24:33 »
And if you combine stoker's advice with that of OGBD you get NOAA's great loop...

I didn't realize that so much of the US was an island.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 18:45:05 »
Interesting thought that, about the Eastern US as an island.  Perhaps we could relocate the northern boundary to the line of the Canals, the Trent-Severn, the Rideau and the Lachine.

We'd lose Lakes Ontario and Erie (no great loss).
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2019, 23:36:50 »
Which begs the question how deep does the water have to be to form said "island"  ;D

All those people on the "island" can they call the others Mainlanders and from "away"

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 00:22:19 »
Well I might as well post my gripe lol

Just used personal leave days, booked my flights, told the captain I would fix ANYTHING he said needed to be fixxed before we move the boat.

So I knew the electronics were an issue, which needs addressing and the engine needs a servicing before we set sail... so I arranged my brother to go to WA to install a new depth sounds, radar, chart plotter and vhf radio next weekend. He is arranging to have friend from work service the engine too possibly or her will himself.

But.. the captain who was going to help us backed out. Due to the engine having sat for a year and the electronics were bare or outdated. I can't even blame the chap, trusting some random unknown person who promises these things will be addressed.. can very well end in a let down lol. But he recommends a chap that is asking at least $1,000 USD or more 😂

My brother is looking into other options, thinking the 1k or more is insane 🤣

Gotta love the boats haha if someone knows someone feel free to steer me in a direction I need something for the weekend of the 30th of this month. The other chap was going to contact me today, but didnt. Good times lol

Abdullah

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 00:28:45 »
any pictures?

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 00:50:48 »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 12:20:00 »
For it's age, it's in very nice condition.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 12:25:43 »
Where is it located?

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 12:27:31 »
Where is it located?

Thanks, I hope it is as nice in person too :)

It is in La Conner WA we have arranged a slip in Sooke. So roughly a 2 day trip, counting the check in, in victoria.

Abd

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 13:00:02 »
Interesting, looks to be best to depart to the south and out through Deception Pass. Swinomish channel has some currents to manage and you have to wait for favourable tides to get through deception. After that fairly clear sailing if the weather cooperates. It's 10nm to Deception so assume at least 2 hrs to get there. You want to depart about 3 hrs before slack at Deception and then be ready to run the slack before the ebb (I am assuming the ebb is westward there).

If that scares you to much Swinosh channel also goes North, takes you pass Anacortes and then into deep water. The Northern route is 21nm and the Southern route is 16nm, so an hour longer, but not tide constrained. You still need to use the tide in Swinomish as you won't want to buck it in a sailboat I suspect, ask the broker for local tips. Do you have a chart plotter and US/Canadian charts? Also a tide book is your friend. Don't rely on having data access on your phone.

https://48north.com/2017/02/23/tbt-deception-pass-an-exciting-destination/

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/navigation/

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 14:50:36 »
Interesting, looks to be best to depart to the south and out through Deception Pass. Swinomish channel has some currents to manage and you have to wait for favourable tides to get through deception. After that fairly clear sailing if the weather cooperates. It's 10nm to Deception so assume at least 2 hrs to get there. You want to depart about 3 hrs before slack at Deception and then be ready to run the slack before the ebb (I am assuming the ebb is westward there).

If that scares you to much Swinosh channel also goes North, takes you pass Anacortes and then into deep water. The Northern route is 21nm and the Southern route is 16nm, so an hour longer, but not tide constrained. You still need to use the tide in Swinomish as you won't want to buck it in a sailboat I suspect, ask the broker for local tips. Do you have a chart plotter and US/Canadian charts? Also a tide book is your friend. Don't rely on having data access on your phone.

https://48north.com/2017/02/23/tbt-deception-pass-an-exciting-destination/

http://www.laconneryachtsales.com/navigation/

No chart plotter, currently in the process of buying and installing a chart plotter with depth sounder and radar. Will get the local charts at that time too.

We have a stack of paper charts in the boat, possibly a tide book too, but I will get a new tide book regardless. Then get paper charts as back up or a pdf file on multiple devices with charts on them (but that option has issues)

Abdullah

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2019, 19:28:06 »
so was this what you used to sell this idea to your wife https://www.facebook.com/monster.rib/videos/253219242246654/

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 19:42:51 »
Good advice from Colin.

If my memory serves, however, Deception pass can have some pretty impressive tide rips, even at slack water. In a small boat like that, you have to really mind your course as you can start to be spun around fairly easily in passes like that.

Good luck ... and, I agree: nice looking boat for her age.

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 20:40:47 »
so was this what you used to sell this idea to your wife https://www.facebook.com/monster.rib/videos/253219242246654/

There may, or may not have been videos of the black pearl super yacht and Caribbean beaches involved. I will neither confirm nor deny these points.

Good advice from Colin.

If my memory serves, however, Deception pass can have some pretty impressive tide rips, even at slack water. In a small boat like that, you have to really mind your course as you can start to be spun around fairly easily in passes like that.

Good luck ... and, I agree: nice looking boat for her age.

Thanks Ogbd and  I will heed the warnings, I currently have two captains that are local to the area offering to give me a hand. Same price pretty much, so really just trying to see who I vibe better with.

Lots of respect for the membership here, so count me well and duly warned about the risks.

Abdullah

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 17:43:53 »
So funny little update.

As I believe I've stated I am buying this boat sight unseen.

I was led to believe it has no electronics at all, by the surveyor, the captain who backed out etc. Any rate, we bought a couple little things to get her to Canada safely and planned on installing them this weekend (well more my brother would be, since I'm up north). My brother and I had been informed two cabinets seemed to be sealed shut and no one had been able to open them, we were told or well led to believe only knick knacks and some auto pilot things were in there and well.. that was true but their was a lot more haha

The boat has an older top of the line Lowrance system from the early 2000ish chartplotter/gps, depth sounder, autopilot, radar and a vhf radio. All tested today, all working.

I am quite surprised and happy. I paid a price for this boat that I had assumed included absolutely zilch for electronics.. now that I know it has a full working system.. I am kind of excited, I feel like I got quite the deal now. I will be replacing the electronics down the road, with newer stuff but the fact it has so much, right now.. is awesome.

The charging systems on the boat, the quality, christ let's just say I am hearing a lot of good news today haha and had to share.

Abdullah

P.s there may or may not have been one little fuse my brother had to change to bring everything online 👹😉 now he is apparently doing redundant testing and checking other systems. I'm stoked.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 18:45:41 »
Make sure you got a good supply of fuses, wire, cutter, crimpers and tape to fix stuff. Unseen corrosion on connectors can do all sorts of weird things. If you have some money to spare, get the fuel sucked out of the system and either scrubbed or replaced. Get a couple sets of fuel filters at the very least. when an older boat hits rough weather, it can churn up krud in the fuel tank and clog your filters, causing engine to die. If the going gets a bit choppy don't be afraid with running on a engine with your mainsail partly up and reefed to slow the roll.   

Offline Felix44

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2019, 14:03:14 »
When I saw the title I remembered how Joey Tribbiani accidentally buys a boat  ;D Well Fiji and Thailand are definitely nice and cheap but I'd go for Greece. The other day I was checking the listings for the villas for sale in Greece and when I saw the prices I could barely stop myself from buying a villa accidentally ;D

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2019, 14:51:35 »
When I saw the title I remembered how Joey Tribbiani accidentally buys a boat  ;D Well Fiji and Thailand are definitely nice and cheap but I'd go for Greece. The other day I was checking the listings for the villas for sale in Greece and when I saw the prices I could barely stop myself from buying a villa accidentally ;D

I can only explain away so much 😂 yacht one year.. villa the next.. my wife might shoot me haha...

But, then again.. it does, give us a place to.. sail to 😂😂😂

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2019, 15:55:29 »
Make sure you got a good supply of fuses, wire, cutter, crimpers and tape to fix stuff. Unseen corrosion on connectors can do all sorts of weird things. If you have some money to spare, get the fuel sucked out of the system and either scrubbed or replaced. Get a couple sets of fuel filters at the very least. when an older boat hits rough weather, it can churn up krud in the fuel tank and clog your filters, causing engine to die. If the going gets a bit choppy don't be afraid with running on a engine with your mainsail partly up and reefed to slow the roll.

What Colin said. :nod:

Racor is your friend! ;)

Good luck!

G2G

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2019, 15:59:42 »
What Colin said. :nod:

Racor is your friend! ;)

Good luck!

G2G

Hey, how about the LocTite?
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2019, 16:00:13 »

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2019, 14:17:13 »
Hopefully the link works, but here is some pictures of my first trip, for yall :)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2320204264930713&id=100008234866702

Abdullah

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2019, 14:39:40 »
Nice you got through Deception and on a great looking day!!!

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2019, 14:49:32 »
Nice you got through Deception and on a great looking day!!!

I brought rain gear, thought for sure we would be rained out on this trip and miserable. Instead I now have a sun burn happily, that'll learn me I will always prepare for the best and worse haha.

But I am afraid I am addicted. Was an amazing trip, I have about 20 minutes of video and 90 pictures from the trip lol. Wife and kids cant wait to get out on her.