Author Topic: 4 things paratroopers can teach the business world  (Read 691 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
4 things paratroopers can teach the business world
« on: March 25, 2019, 16:22:07 »
.. as well as amazing new uses for gun tape.... :)

Airborne soldiers are exceptional individuals, but the commitment they demonstrate is not innate. It is built on trust — and managers should take note

Paratroopers know that when the light goes green, there is no turning back. The time comes, and they leap into the sky without a second’s hesitation. This is their job; they are professionals.

Airborne soldiers are exceptional individuals, to be sure. But the commitment they demonstrate is not innate. It is built on four levels of trust: trust in training, trust in equipment, trust in teammates and trust in leaders.

In business, you can similarly lay the foundation for engagement through trust. Here are four things business leaders can learn from airborne soldiers to better prepare employees for when the proverbial light goes green.

https://business.financialpost.com/executive/leadership/4-things-paratroopers-can-teach-the-business-world
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: 4 things paratroopers can teach the business world
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:36:33 »
Landing with the airplane is optional?

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 07:00:37 »
For the flight crew, it is!  ;)

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 07:01:05 »
Complete lack of trust in planes.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 12:13:12 »
.. as well as amazing new uses for gun tape.... :)

. . .

https://business.financialpost.com/executive/leadership/4-things-paratroopers-can-teach-the-business-world

Consultant!  Okay, it's not always used as an expletive.  I had a look at the linked piece and, as I usually wonder about the background (especially practical experience) of those who expound on leadership (or military) topics, I did a quick search on the author of this piece.  Additionally his name sounded familiar; turned out it wasn't the person I thought it was.  But there are a few words of value from amongst his on-line presence.

From his LinkedIn page
And here’s the journey that led me to those conclusions:
★ During seven years in the Canadian Army I earned Canadian and German parachute wings, trained in demolitions and qualified as a marksman. You get people to do dangerous things by recruiting people who want to do dangerous things.

So, nearly four decades after his military service he is still drawing on lessons learned.  That's a valuable takeaway for those who move on to other careers (or even for those who move forward in their service career).  A lot of the life lessons we garner while in uniform are just as applicable when no longer in uniform.  The biggest difficulty most have is translating that experience when selling yourself or not coming across as an arsehole telling another old war story when trying to pass that wisdom on to civilian colleagues.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 14:40:56 »
The biggest difficulty most have is translating that experience when selling yourself or not coming across as an arsehole telling another old war story when trying to pass that wisdom on to civilian colleagues.

Hey man, I'm in the room!  ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon