Author Topic: Pick Up Truck thread  (Read 2301 times)

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Pick Up Truck thread
« on: April 03, 2019, 17:09:08 »
Well, Jeep has finally offered the Gladiator pick up truck: https://www.jeep.ca/en/gladiator
It’s been a long time coming, they discontinued the Comanche in 1992.  Looking at this new truck though, I really am not all that impressed. It just looks like a Wrangler with a box on the back.  Jeep claims it can pull a great weight (about 7500lbs) but I’m not sure the engine is built for that sort of weight without a new, heavy duty transmission.
I don’t think it will compete well with other light trucks like the Tacoma, Canyon or new Ford Ranger. 
Thoughts?
Living the lean life

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Pick Up Truck thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 17:16:37 »
You call that a truck?  This is a truck!

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 18:58:05 »
Did they hire a well known cartoon character to design that thing?

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 18:59:12 »
Well, Jeep has finally offered the Gladiator pick up truck: https://www.jeep.ca/en/gladiator
It’s been a long time coming, they discontinued the Comanche in 1992.  Looking at this new truck though, I really am not all that impressed. It just looks like a Wrangler with a box on the back.  Jeep claims it can pull a great weight (about 7500lbs) but I’m not sure the engine is built for that sort of weight without a new, heavy duty transmission.
I don’t think it will compete well with other light trucks like the Tacoma, Canyon or new Ford Ranger. 
Thoughts?

That thing is fugly.

Jees are great for what they are, but the boxy design on them makes them very uncomfortable for long hauls. They are great for what they are which is essentially a super all-terrain vehicle, but to me they are not great for a long-distance trip like say, 4-8 hours one-way to go camping / hunting etc. Trucks are great for that, they are comfortable, powerful, hold lots of gear, and more and more fuel efficient. Jeeps for that kind of trip are uncomfortable, powerful, don't hold lots of gear, and super hard on fuel, plus the square design means a lot of broken windshields. To me, it looks like the only thing they improved upon is that now it can hold lots of gear because of the added box... everything else remains the same, so why would you choose this Jeep truck over a real truck?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 19:29:02 by ballz »
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline reverse_engineer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 18:59:27 »
The new Ranger is surprisingly nice. Too bad they aren't bring the Ranger Raptor to Canada.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 19:22:31 »
My wife has a new Wrangler JL. It's V6 is the same V6 you will find in the charger and the same in the Gladiator I believe. Now she owned a 2011 Wrangler before with V6 and this engine now definitely has more acceleration and power in it. Fuel wise it sucks and drinks it pretty quick.

I have a 2018 Ford F150  lariat with 2.7 liter V6 Ecoboost 10 speed and gas mileage is awesome on it. I honestly couldn't tell that I wasn't driving a V8 except that it's more quiet. We definitely take my truck over the Jeep for longer trips and the super crew is huge.

Offline reverse_engineer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 19:25:27 »
Not sure if anyone has looked at the new RAM Rebel, but it's pretty sweet too.

Offline AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 20:01:49 »

My in laws are all dodge lover, me being the respectable Chevrolet fan that I am has heard to much of the ram rebel lol.

But, still, kind of a neat truck.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 20:29:56 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQuLBKdTttk

2020 Jeep Gladiator Quick Review 3 Apr 19 (17 min video)

https://driving.ca/jeep/gladiator/reviews/first-drive/first-drive-2020-jeep-gladiator

First Drive: 2020 Jeep Gladiator - 3 Apr 19
      The Jeep Gladiator might look like a Wrangler with a box out back, but judged as pickup alone, it's plenty capable and totally cool

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-jeep-gladiator-review/

2020 Jeep Gladiator review: The Wrangler pickup truck that really hauls - 3 Apr 19
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline reverse_engineer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 21:01:21 »
My in laws are all dodge lover, me being the respectable Chevrolet fan that I am has heard to much of the ram rebel lol.

But, still, kind of a neat truck.

I was impressed by the one I was in. Very nice cab, capable, great ride with the air suspension.

With that said, I prefer Ford trucks.

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 21:38:03 »
I like the F150, but I just can’t pull away from Toyota’s. I have a Tacoma TRD and an FJ Cruiser, both 2013 and neither one is due for a change until 2025 at least.
Living the lean life

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 09:13:18 »
Looking at the Honda Ridgeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 19:59:45 »
That's an interesting choice. Did you buy it?
Living the lean life

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 20:13:38 »
That's an interesting choice. Did you buy it?
If this is referring to the Ridgeline, nope still motorcycling. Would like an electric truck. Standing by... 

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 20:18:57 »
I’ve done Chevy, Jeep, Dodge and would look next at a Cummins-powered Nissan Titan XD...that things a beast, tows a mountain and rides like like a Merc.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 20:25:03 »
If this is referring to the Ridgeline, nope still motorcycling. Would like an electric truck. Standing by... 

I have just discovered plug-in hybrids and I've gotta say I am super super intrigued. What are you looking at?

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 20:28:38 »
I have just discovered plug-in hybrids and I've gotta say I am super super intrigued. What are you looking at?
https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 21:31:48 »
I like it, especially the fact in the XP they open the platform up for other developers.

Needs to be winter tested in Canada though....all those fancy sensors get covered in snow and salt film and they are next to useless.
Living the lean life

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 21:42:54 »
Damn, I was hoping there'd be a plug-in hybrid version. To me, that is that cat's *** and far more suitable for someone who likes to go for the long-haul trips... and the gas will always be there if something is up with the battery.

I'm also not a fan of fancy gizmos like replacing side mirrors with cameras... I really can't even get used to back-up cameras, I don't have one in my truck (2011, wasn't mandatory) and I back-in everywhere for parking, so when I'm in a vehicle that has one I only use it after I'm in the stall and judging where to stop.

But I like the esthetics of the truck and some other features.

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 21:46:11 »
Interesting concept:
Atlis Subscriber Club

- New vehicle every 3, 5 or 7 years
- Maintenance is 100% covered
- Insurance is 100% covered
- Unlimited free charging
- Starting at just $700/month[/li][/list]
Living the lean life

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 00:48:22 »
Last year, after 14 years in a 4-door Chevy Blazer, I bought a slightly used 2019 Chevy Canyon.

Couldn't be happier... the thing hauls a$$, as well as alot of other stuff :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 09:57:37 »
Just pickup trucks in general.

I've got a crew cab Ram 1500/ 5.7 hemi. I have more room in that, than any vehicle I've had since my '77 Cordoba. The only passenger vehicle I've had with more room was a '74 Lincoln. I could fit a rifle section in there and with all the gear in the trunk. It was also 20 ft long.

Lots of the higher end pickup are appointed as well as top line luxury cars.

I have only one rule. I don't move people, nor do I lend my truck for that purpose.

My wife drives an F-150 super cab. She likes the height it gives her to see surrounding traffic. Not many cars or vans will give you that height.

I doubt we'll ever go back to cars, in my family.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 10:27:38 »
Great web page and youtube channel for my fellow truck lovers:

https://www.tfltruck.com/

The new Ranger is surprisingly nice. Too bad they aren't bring the Ranger Raptor to Canada.

I am on my 3rd F150 and really wanted to move down to a Ranger but for the price, I think I will stay with a 150.

I turn in my 2016 in Sept and will be vehicle free until Fall 2020.  Cant wait to go shopping again. 

Great trucks, not sure I could justify the ownership.  While I am often on dirt and gravel its a bit much for what I do.  And well, friends dont let friends buy Dodge. ;)

Looking at the Honda Ridgeline.

I looked one of these recently.  I loved the trunk space under the bed.  Great idea.

Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 12:41:17 »
Great web page and youtube channel for my fellow truck lovers:

https://www.tfltruck.com/

I am on my 3rd F150 and really wanted to move down to a Ranger but for the price, I think I will stay with a 150.

I turn in my 2016 in Sept and will be vehicle free until Fall 2020.  Cant wait to go shopping again. 

Great trucks, not sure I could justify the ownership.  While I am often on dirt and gravel its a bit much for what I do.  And well, friends dont let friends buy Dodge. ;)

I looked one of these recently.  I loved the trunk space under the bed.  Great idea.
A huge factor for me is whether the truck will fit in garage with motorcycle so I think it will have to be the Ridgeline.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 13:05:00 »
A huge factor for me is whether the truck will fit in garage with motorcycle so I think it will have to be the Ridgeline.

I dont think you can go wrong there.  So long as it has the specs to meet your requirements.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 17:31:13 »
Is this a pickup truck made for ownership by prostitutes?

"The actual exterior design of your Dongfeng Unique collection truck body, along with the Foday Lion F22 close friend, is often desirable, present day and trendy, naturally, with the eyesight to the body variety capabilities. "

"The beauty salon of your new Dongfeng Rich pickup truck will assist you to support any driver and some travelers easily. Spots in the first and next ore are adequate in all of the recommendations, for both the thighs and on top of the mind and breadth from the cabin. "

https://www.2020pickuptruck.com/2020-dongfeng-rich-release-date-price-changes/
Living the lean life

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 21:26:36 »
Thoughts?

Based on the American pricing I have seen you're likely better off buying a full-size truck, it will be more capable and just as hard on fuel.

If I wasn't commuting back and forth to Ottawa from Trenton every weekend I would never have given up my Frontier, a tough simple 4x4 that was a perfect size for my needs/wants. I think most people forget about it because it hasn't been updated in a long time, but just like the Ranger had been before it's demise, the Frontier the least expensive 4x4 you can buy.

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2019, 20:45:59 »
Nothing wrong with this pickup. A hard on the ***, no fancy electronics but it will get the job done!!!
Living the lean life