Author Topic: Controversial vehicle - upsets residents  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Controversial vehicle - upsets residents
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2019, 15:11:54 »
Lets not forget "cougar" is a derogatory term for older women. The name of this vehicle is problematic and misogynistic and has no place in a memorial park.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 17:33:01 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2019, 15:25:53 »
See also,
https://www.sackvilletribunepost.com/news/local/reactions-mixed-over-cougar-controversy-329715/

SACKVILLE, N.B. —  Scott Timpa is no stranger to military vehicles. Having served over a decade in the Canadian Army, Timpa said he spent five years in the back of a Light Armoured Vehicle Three (LAV 3) during his years as an infantry soldier.

And while these types of armoured vehicles incite mixed feelings for Timpa, a medically-retired, disabled veteran, most of those emotions are not good ones.

“As much as I loved the LAV 3, every time I see a military vehicle like it such as a Cougar, it triggers me and I can’t stop that,” said Timpa.

Timpa, who suffers from severe post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), said although armoured vehicles provide safety and security to the armed forces, he also recalls how “for many of my brothers and sisters, these vehicles also became death traps on the streets of Kandahar, easy prey for the Taliban and a well-placed bomb.”

“I hear the sounds of the cannons, I smell the exhaust fumes, the dust, the grease and I think about the people I knew who were killed in them,” he said. “I’ve seen what a bomb blast does to a human body if you happen to be sitting inside one of these things. I can smell and taste the blood and I probably always will. It’s awful.”

Timpa said he has made Sackville his home because there is no military base here and he wanted to live in a small peaceful town for his mental health.

“When I lived in Halifax, it was a constant trigger seeing the navy ships in the harbour, all the military personnel walking around in uniforms or military aircraft constantly flying overhead.”

He said placing a vehicle such as the Cougar in Memorial Park will only serve as a recruiting tool for young people to want to join the military, at a time when the federal government is not living up to its obligations of caring for injured soldiers and disabled veterans.

The size of the Cougar was also a factor for those opposing its placement in Memorial Park, with many saying that the “massive machine” would dwarf the other monuments and minimize the Cenotaph’s central role in the park.

Lets not forget "cougar" is a derogatory term for older women.

Not necessarily derogatory. Sometimes, complimentary,  :)
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cougar

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 15:32:33 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2019, 15:39:25 »
Ever since the decision was made to withdraw the donation, a petition has surfaced online with the signatures of more than 1,000 people hoping that the armoured vehicle will be reconsidered.

SACKVILLE Population
(2016)
• Total5,331

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2019, 15:50:08 »
The story has been reported across Canada. Anyone on the internet can sign the petition,
https://www.change.org/p/residents-of-the-town-of-sackville-bring-the-cougar-to-sackville

It's up to their municipal taxpayers to decide.

"sign an agreement exempting the Department of National Defence from liability for any injuries associated with the display."

That's what caught my eye.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 15:58:41 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2019, 15:57:29 »
Oops lol
Good catch thanks!