Author Topic: This Marine nails what it's like to get out of the military  (Read 759 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was

This Marine nails what it's like to get out of the military

I think that for most of us we leave the military wanting desperately to escape. At some point, the majesty and nobility and glamour runs out. The pride has been spent sometime between the incompetent staff-non commissioned officer who yelled at you that last time for something stupid, or CIF giving you a hard time because there is dust on your gear, or S-1 messed up your leave, or you have just done the math and you have only woken up next to your wife 22 of the last 48 months and even more time waking up within arms reach of a rifle. For me, my last year was horrible. I had everything in that year, with some of the worst of it in the last three months.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/this-marine-nails-what-its-like-to-get-out-of-the-military?fbclid=IwAR3uUb9lkMg1GDHNll2cVOpsb50pbBzo9XO-IL19PthrmkD0-PDRp0JQ-T8
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: This Marine nails what it's like to get out of the military
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 10:50:37 »
I faced some people who saw my military experience as a problem. I might be too aggressive to work with customers, I have never had a real job, I might have PTSD.

Anyone see, "Brooklyn's Finest"?

Old cop: What did you say your name was?

Rookie:            Melvin Panton. Lance Corporal, US Marines. ( Talks of dreaming his whole life about arresting and handcuffing people. )

Marines. Well, Lance Corporal Melvin Panton, wait here. Don't touch or do anything. ( Exits driver's seat to do some personal shopping, out of zone. )

You know what? F*&^ you.  :)

Reminds me of some of the frustrations I read about ex-Marines, and a former US Navy SEAL, applying to join the FDNY. That's the municipal firefighter-paramedic department in NYC.

FDNY Discriminated Against Me Over PTSD
https://www.thedailybeast.com/iraq-vet-fdny-discriminated-against-me-over-ptsd
"Two tours in Iraq with the Marines."

You are four years older than almost anyone around you.

You should not reach your 29th birthday by the beginning of the application process. If you were on active military duty, you can subtract up the amount of time you spent on duty from your actual age. The maximum you can subtract is 6 years.

A Navy SEAL Special Operations Chief, who served four combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan—earning medals of valor during that time, was rejected because he missed the cut-off age by six months. He passed the civil service exam, scoring in the top 1 percent out of the 43,900 people who took the test, and he met the job's physical requirements.

A 23-year old USMC Medal of Honor recipient missed the deadline to apply by only 12 hours. Applications are only accepted during a two month window once every four years.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 13:47:27 by mariomike »

Offline stoker dave

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 07:40:51 »
DaftandBarmy,

Thanks for that link.  That was really well written and helpful.  I can identify with that guy.

SD

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 10:45:37 »
DaftandBarmy,

Thanks for that link.  That was really well written and helpful.  I can identify with that guy.

SD

My pleasure. He’s pretty much scary accurate.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon