Author Topic: PRC Is Ready to Invade Hong Kong  (Read 5420 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post

Online RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
Re: PRC Is Ready to Invade Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 09:58:37 »

Online Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 10:07:24 »
If it hits the fan......what do we do about the 100,000's of Canadians living there?

I wonder if the gov even has a plan or gamed this?

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 10:23:24 »
300,000 to be exact.

I'm sure they will be fine if they stay away from the protests.  China wants to end the unrest, not deal with foreigners who might be nearby. 

The big worry should be about the numbers that are going to pack up and leave and return or move to Canada and the impact on the economy.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5388549/hong-kong-protests-bc-expats/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:25:59 by Remius »
Optio

Online RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 10:24:51 »
300,000 to be exact.

I'm sure they will be fine if they stay away from the protests.  China wants to end the unrest, not deal with foreigners who might be nearby.
Exactly that’s why I question the use of the word invasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 10:28:27 »
Exactly that’s why I question the use of the word invasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Police action would be more accurate I guess.  I bet the Chinese security forces are bigger than our military by several factors.  So it might seem like an invasion.  Especially if they are brought in from outside the Hong Kong area.
Optio

Online Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 10:40:57 »
But if got really ugly fast?  The thousands heading to the airport.  The cries for help at the embassies.  Canada could do nothing. 

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 11:26:31 »
But if got really ugly fast?  The thousands heading to the airport.  The cries for help at the embassies.  Canada could do nothing.

Not to mention the backlash online from some parts of the population that they're just "Canadians of convenience".   ::) 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Online Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 12:20:15 »
Yup!  I was going to say something about that too.

Xi is really pushing on all fronts.  South China Sea, HK, Trade with the US (trump is really helping on that one)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 12:37:24 »
Guys, guys, guys -- not to worry, they're available to help out if needed, according to CHN's Communist Party media
China's Defense Ministry said on Wednesday that the military is following closely the recent situation in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), citing a law that allows the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA)'s Hong Kong Garrison to conduct public security missions after the local government makes a request to the central government.

"We have been paying close attention to the developments in Hong Kong, especially after riots on Sunday when radical forces besieged the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in HKSAR," Wu Qian, spokesperson of China's Ministry of National Defense, told a media briefing on Wednesday.

Wu said that radical demonstrators have challenged the authority of the central government and touched the bottom line of the "one country, two systems," which is absolutely intolerable.

Tarnishing the "Pearl of the Orient" [which refers to Hong Kong] is not allowed, Wu said. 

Responding to a question on how to deal with Hong Kong secessionist forces, Wu cited the Law of the People's Republic of China on the Garrisoning of the HKSAR, which stipulates that the HKSAR government could request the central government to allow the PLA garrison in Hong Kong to maintain social order and disaster relief when necessary.

Wu's remarks came amid rumors claiming that a number of office buildings will be guarded by the Chinese PLA's Hong Kong Garrison. Those offices include the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the HKSAR and the Chief Executive's Office and the Legislative Council Complex.

The HKSAR government dismissed the rumors on Tuesday, saying they were "totally unfounded."
Nothing to see here, either
The People's Liberation Army (PLA) Garrison in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region conducted joint patrol exercises featuring both ground, naval and aerial forces on June 26, the PLA Daily reported on Tuesday.

The exercises were carried out in the sea and air spaces near Hong Kong, with the goal of examining the troops' combat capabilities in terms of emergency response and joint operations, the report said.

Netizens said the stationed PLA Hong Kong Garrison is not a formality, and the exercises proved just that.

The PLA Hong Kong Garrison is responsible for preparing against and resisting aggression, safeguarding the security of Hong Kong, carrying out defense duties, administering military facilities and handling foreign-related military affairs, reads the Law of the People's Republic of China on Garrisoning the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

The garrison held a three-day open day event on Saturday in celebration of the 22nd anniversary of the city's return to China, with PLA soldiers conducting exercises in combat tactics and various firearms including rifles and machine guns going on display ...
In the meantime, beware fake news
Videos falsely claiming to show a Chinese military crackdown against pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong have flooded social media over the past week, according to an AFP investigation that has debunked multiple posts.

The videos, which have been viewed millions of times, have compounded fears about China's potential intervention into a two-month crisis that has seen increasingly violent confrontations between protesters and Hong Kong's police.

Some of the false posts appeared shortly after a Chinese defence ministry spokesman last week highlighted during a press conference a law that allows troops to be deployed across Hong Kong at the request of the city's government ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 12:38:27 »

A consideration: China doesn’t recognize dual citizenship. I don’t know what the practical consequences of that would be, though.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 12:42:32 »
Xi is really pushing on all fronts.  South China Sea, HK, Trade with the US (trump is really helping on that one)
I would say that Xi is pushing the South China Sea claims.  Hong Kong and trade are more responses -- HK protesters escalating from being against the mainland extradition treaty to anti-HK gov't and PRC;  trade is in response to Trump as well as Trudeau's publicly criticizing PRC's policies.

Any similarities with US/Iran policies?  Bolton, with a known hate-on for Iran comes on board;  Trump's "policies" tend to be whoever talks to him last;  suddenly Iran = Mordor, Iran starts striking back;  Fox & Friends: "See? Told you they were evil."

Cornered animals have a tendency to bite.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:49:28 by Journeyman »

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 12:44:21 »
PRC troops have gathered on the border to invade Hong Kong.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/chinese-forces-gathering-at-hong-kong-border-white-house-officials-monitoring-escalation/news-story/82621253f4c093c69834e041713ab34d
China already has a few troops troops in the city
… The Army brigade of the Hong Kong Garrison is estimated to contain three Motorised Infantry battalions, an Armoured Infantry battalion equipped with Type 92B 6×6 armoured personnel carriers (APC), an Engineer and Chemical battalion, a Special Forces battalion, a Motor Transport company and an Air Defence battalion equipped with the HQ-6A weapon system.

It is unclear how many Special Forces personnel are stationed in Hong Kong, but the figure could be around 120. Anti-terrorism duties are one of their key missions, despite the fact that the territory’s law says the first responsibility to deal with a counter-terrorism incident rests with the Hong Kong Police ...
... so any "invasion" could also happen "Crimea style" from the inside out.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 14:36:42 »
What if China abducts some Canadian citizens in Hong Kong into PRC, both for specific reasons involving the individuals and to put more pressure on us regarding Meng Wanzhou?

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 16:54:42 »
The Hong Kong situation is deliciously or hideously (take your pick) complex. From China's point of view, there are, simply, no good choices: anything and everything they will do or even just want to do will be wrong.

HK is one of the world's financial hubs. Hundreds of billions of dollars (cash, merchandise, futures, you name it) pass through there every day ~ HK matters more than all of Canada in that regard

The business of HK is business. The Hang Seng index (stocks and bonds) is tanking; billions and billions of dollars, yen, euros and so on are being lost, day after day.

The demonstrations have stretched the HK police past the breaking point. The force is 30,000+ strong for a city of 7.5 million. Large, but it is a complex place to police and some parts of the force are not available for routine duties, even in dire emergencies like Force 10 typhoons.

China needs a calm, working Hong Kong for a whole host of reasons including Taiwan.

If, and it's a Huge IF, Taiwan can be persuaded that "one country, two systems" can work and that China can be trusted, then peaceful reunification remains on the table; if China is seen to be subverting HK's (very limited) "independence" then the only way to get Taiwan back is to invade, with uncomfortable, because they are unknown, consequences.

Some Chinese officials are convinced that there must be some foreign interference/instigation in these demonstrations ... I am nearly 100% sure that there is some covert, indirect, foreign support for some of the organizers: from Taiwan, Japan, Singapore and even Australia. I sincerely doubt that the Americans are smart enough subtle enough to work, sub rosa, in HK; the Australians and even the Brits, maybe, maybe even the Canadians, but not the Americans. But what I think doesn't matter, some Chinese officials think John Bolton is behind this.

The HK police force needs some help. The PLA is the worst possible sort of help ... but what else is there?

Carrie Lam has failed, miserably, but I cannot see how Beijing can replace her without losing face ... and HK or not, this is China, face matters, immensely. If you don't grasp that then you cannot ever hope to understand what's going on.

There is only one good course open: the anti-Carrie Lam faction ~ which is at least 35% of HK, maybe 75% right now ~ needs to back away, for a while. They need to give the police time to rest and recuperate and reconsider ... otherwise, the PLA will, most likely, have to go on the streets and that will be a disaster. The young leaders of what is, now, an independence movement don't want to do that because it would look like surrender. It wouldn't be but I doubt they can or will see it that way. Tempers are too high, on all sides. The people are angry at the authorities; the police are getting angry at the protesters and at a government which they think is wishy-washy because it tries to apologize when, inevitably, the police are less than perfect. The Chinese government is confused and, frankly, terrified and has too many balls in the air, right now.

Singapore is making hay ~ money is pouring in. Ditto Sydney. Even London is doing better, despite the Brexit.

As for Canada ... I spent a few minutes this morning with an old friend and mentor. He's a HK native whose judgement is always sound and who has extensive contacts in the Canada-HK community. He says that thousands, likely tens of thousands of Canadians who live in HK are packing their bags right now. What will that mean for Canada? We will get thousands of highly skilled (mostly business-oriented) people with large cash reserves; they are amongst the most productive people on earth; Canadians, by and large, are amongst the least productive people in the OECD.

My  :2c:   
+2,100
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Online Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 17:10:47 »
ER Campbell

Great summary of the news.  Thanks.  Well some of that sounds good for Canada.  It does not sound great for the world.   I have way thought HK was a great thing for China.  We had all my business contracts and banking with China run though HK.  I have always hoped that the HK example would help to change China (like the rule of law) for the better not the other way around.

Is China being moved to some breaking point?   Trump and US on trade, Business and economic growth is moving in the wrong direction, the Uyghars, Iran pushing for help, Taiwan seeing what is happening and not liking it.  The SCS situation. Crackdown on internet and media, The social credit system.  I doesn't seem like happy times

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 17:12:06 »
Circumstances aren't the same, but HK has gone through this before.  It was also the reason for one of the emigration waves from HK in the 70s and onwards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_1967_leftist_riots
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 18:19:50 »
Part of the problem for China too is social media and reporters, news travels much faster these days, while they may be able to censor things internally, external not so much. This isn't the 1980's another tiananmen square would greatly damage China in the eyes of the world, and would solidify Taiwan that Beijing will try to take it by force.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 21:14:37 »
They will probably close down the internet and the airspace to civilian traffic before moving in.
Living the lean life

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 22:34:40 »
Remember China suppressed dissent in Tibet and their muslim population so suppressing unarmed civilians won't be hard. Of course just the threat of PRC intervention might be enough to send the youngsters back to their apartments.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 22:43:11 »
Some more of the latest ...
Chinese army’s Hong Kong chief says troops are ready to protect China’s sovereignty

Commander of People’s Liberation Army’s Hong Kong garrison comments on Hong Kong for first time since protests against extradition bill began in June
    Garrison releases three-minute video of anti-riot drills, featuring tanks

Teddy Ng, South China Morning Post, 10:28am, 1 Aug, 2019

The chief of the Chinese military garrison in Hong Kong has warned that violent clashes in the city will not be tolerated and said the army is determined to protect China’s sovereignty.

Chen Daoxiang, the commander of the People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA’s) Hong Kong garrison, made the warning at a reception in Hong Kong celebrating the 92nd anniversary of the Chinese military on Wednesday, when the garrison also released a promotional video that stated that troops stationed in the city were able to protect its long-term stability.

One of the scenes in the video features a soldier shouting in Cantonese during an anti-riot drill: “All consequences are at your own risk.”

Chen’s comments marked the first time he had commented on Hong Kong since protests erupted in early June against the city’s controversial extradition bill. The bill proposed the transfer of suspects to jurisdictions with which Hong Kong has no extradition agreement, including mainland China.

A still from the PLA garrison’s video showing anti-riot drills and issuing warnings to rioters. Photo: www.163.comA still from the PLA garrison’s video showing anti-riot drills and issuing warnings to rioters. Photo: www.163.com
A still from the PLA garrison’s video showing anti-riot drills and issuing warnings to rioters. Photo: www.163.com

The chief of the Chinese military garrison in Hong Kong has warned that violent clashes in the city will not be tolerated and said the army is determined to protect China’s sovereignty.

Chen Daoxiang, the commander of the People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA’s) Hong Kong garrison, made the warning at a reception in Hong Kong celebrating the 92nd anniversary of the Chinese military on Wednesday, when the garrison also released a promotional video that stated that troops stationed in the city were able to protect its long-term stability.

One of the scenes in the video features a soldier shouting in Cantonese during an anti-riot drill: “All consequences are at your own risk.”
Chen’s comments marked the first time he had commented on Hong Kong since protests erupted in early June against the city’s controversial extradition bill. The bill proposed
the transfer of suspects to jurisdictions with which Hong Kong has no extradition agreement, including mainland China.

“Recently, there have been a series of violent incidents happening in Hong Kong,” he said at the reception, held at the garrison’s central barracks in Admiralty on Hong Kong Island. “This has damaged the prosperity and stability of the city, and challenged the rule of law and social order.

“The incidents have seriously threatened the life and safety of Hong Kong citizens, and violated the bottom line of ‘one country, two systems’.

“This should not be tolerated and we express our strong condemnation.”

Chen said the garrison resolutely supported Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor and the Hong Kong police in maintaining law and order ...
More @ link

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 06:59:35 »
And this from the CHN military info-machine here ....
The commander of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Garrison in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Wednesday strongly condemned the recent violent acts in Hong Kong and vowed to firmly safeguard national sovereignty.

Chen Daoxiang made the remarks during a reception in Hong Kong to mark the 92nd anniversary of the founding of the PLA, which is August 1.

In his first public statement on the Hong Kong issue, the PLA commander noted that a series of violent incidents have seriously undermined the overall prosperity and stability of the HKSAR, challenged the rule of law and social order in Hong Kong and threatened the safety of life and property of Hong Kong residents.

These violent acts have touched the bottom line of the "one country, two systems" principle and are "totally intolerant," Chen said.

He also expressed the garrison's support of HKSAR’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam and the Hong Kong police in maintaining law and order.

"We resolutely support the action to maintain Hong Kong’s rule of law by the people who love the nation and the city, and we are determined to protect national sovereignty, security, stability and the prosperity of Hong Kong," Chen said.
... and here
The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Garrison in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) hosted a reception on Wednesday to mark the 92nd anniversary of the PLA's founding.

Major General Chen Daoxiang, commander of the PLA Garrison Commander, said that since the PLA Garrison was stationed in Hong Kong 22 years ago, it has been firmly implementing the principle of "one country, two systems," performing defense responsibilities in accordance with the law, firmly supporting the SAR government in governing according to the law, thus playing a significant role in maintaining Hong Kong's stability and prosperity.

The series of violent incidents that happened in Hong Kong recently have severely damaged Hong Kong's prosperity and stability, severely challenged Hong Kong's rule of law and social order, seriously threatened the lives and properties of the Hong Kong people, and touched the bottom line of the principle of "one country, two systems," Chen said.

"This is absolutely intolerable and we strongly condemn these acts," he added.

Chen said that the PLA Garrison firmly supports Hong Kong Police Force in strictly enforcing the law, and firmly supports the SAR government and the SAR Judiciary in meting out punishment to the violent criminals according to the law ...
Text of articles also attached (in case you don't want to click on a CHN gov't site).

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 07:08:48 »
Remember China suppressed dissent in Tibet and their muslim population so suppressing unarmed civilians won't be hard. Of course just the threat of PRC intervention might be enough to send the youngsters back to their apartments.

That's what a lot of people, in HK and in the 'corridors of power' in Beijing, hope ... but I am in direct contact with a couple of 20somethings who are participating in the demonstrations. They say that is unlikely to happen, even though they agree it would be a good idea. This movement has a lot of public support, from young people and older folks, alike.

There is a yearning ~ I suppose that is the right word ~ for a different future for HK, people want something they never had: independence.

There will be rallies this weekend in several Canadian cities, large ones in Vancouver and Toronto, but also in Calgary, Winnipeg and Montreal ~ https://www.facebook.com/freehkmtl/videos/1334883946675168/?t=18 . I'm guessing there will also be similar rallies in Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, London, Birmingham, Edinburg and in New York, Los Angeles and Washington, too. Beijing will be embarrassed if they are large. 'Face' matters.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 07:44:07 »
Some more of the latest ...
... the garrison also released a promotional video that stated that troops stationed in the city were able to protect its long-term stability.  One of the scenes in the video features a soldier shouting in Cantonese during an anti-riot drill: “All consequences are at your own risk.” ...
Uploaded said video here @ YT -- you can see the riot control scenes from around 0:45 through 1:05 -- as well as all sorts of "Hong Kong loves the PLA" shots between 2:07 and 2:50.  The rest is slickly produced air, land and naval force promotion/"recruiting porn".

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 15:31:18 »
Apparently 7,000 troops have rolled in.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2019, 16:10:33 »
Apparently 7,000 troops have rolled in.
In, or out?  PLA's HK Garrison has ~6K - these are new?

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2019, 18:24:12 »
Apparently mainland troops

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 07:58:38 »
Apparently mainland troops
Seen -- any links on that?  I can only find one FB reference that I can't tell the authenticity of at this point.  Also, I suspect if all the travel restrictions mentioned here were in place, it would have made MSM by now.  Thanks for that!

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online Spencer100

• Rate Post

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 12:04:16 »
Hong Cong also has a PLA garrison which would facilitate any reinforcement.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 14:38:07 »
Seen -- any links on that?  I can only find one FB reference that I can't tell the authenticity of at this point.  Also, I suspect if all the travel restrictions mentioned here were in place, it would have made MSM by now.  Thanks for that!

That's what I saw, hence my use of the word 'apparently"

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 19:50:14 »
That's what I saw, hence my use of the word 'apparently"
Fingers crossed ...

Meanwhile, good question:  "Hong Kong strike: Can protesters shut down the city?" ...
Mong Kok is a busy neighborhood in Hong Kong known for its maze of narrow streets brimming with lots of markets and eateries. 

Carol Ng, the chairperson of the Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions, and several staff were busy Thursday handing out white wristbands to busy shoppers and commuters in Mong Kok for a general strike planned for Monday, August 5.

Protesters are calling for a general strike in Hong Kong in an attempt to put pressure on the city's government to meet their so-called five demands. These include full withdrawal of draft legislation for a controversial extradition bill, and the creation of an independent committee to investigate alleged police brutality during the mass protests over the past two months, among other things.

They reminded all Mong Kok residents and visitors to join the general strike and wear black shirts to work every Monday.

Ng said it took just a week for protesters to call for a strike and to mobilize citizens through various unions. Social media, like Telegram, has also been used to mobilize demonstrators. Various industry bodies have set up their own groups to take part in the strike ...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 19:54:12 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6495.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 18:24:48 »
Perhaps we should start referring to them as Red China again. People seem to have forgotten their pedigree.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2019, 18:40:09 »
I prefer Chicoms.

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2019, 21:05:27 »
I prefer Chicoms.

Mark
Ottawa

Indeed. Though it’s probably in our interest to have a better grasp of their power structure than to just dumb it down and write ‘em off as commies. There’s a lot more going on there than that. Functionally there’s a centralized state-directed corporatist economy with quasi-capitalist selected ‘champions’ supported by the state regulatory and intelligence apparatus. They’ve learned a great deal about how to move capital in the last 70 years. Which is part, I think, of why they have so much fear regarding how Hong Kong goes. They’ve become sophisticated enough to know they need to not screw this up.
+600
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2019, 14:01:08 »
Interestingly the hacktivist group as they have been called, anonymous has come out of the shadows to voice their opinion on events, encouraging Hong Kong to keep up the protests and push for full independence.

In real news all eyes are on what happens tomorrow and how big the called on General Strike ends up being. From what I am reading in the New York Times, and else where protesters seem to be getting more supplies, more people and I'd say mondays strike will likely bring Hong Kong, one of the financial hubs of Asia to a grinding halt. Protesters are resorting to hit and run tactics, once a protest hits resistance from police they will melt away and reform else where, forcing the police to redeploy, over and over again.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2019, 15:11:56 »
Interestingly the hacktivist group as they have been called, anonymous has come out of the shadows to voice their opinion on events, encouraging Hong Kong to keep up the protests and push for full independence.

In real news all eyes are on what happens tomorrow and how big the called on General Strike ends up being. From what I am reading in the New York Times, and else where protesters seem to be getting more supplies, more people and I'd say mondays strike will likely bring Hong Kong, one of the most important top 5 financial hubs of Asia in the whole world to a grinding halt. Protesters are resorting to hit and run tactics, once a protest hits resistance from police they will melt away and reform else where, forcing the police to redeploy, over and over again.

FTFY.

Singapore and London are rubbing its hands with glee as HK suffers ... none of Paris, Frankfurt, Toronto or Sydney is even on the same financial map as London, New York, Hong Kong and Singapore.
----------

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2019, 23:35:28 »
My guess is that riot troops and police will be deployed before the protests get going. Subways will be shut down. The internet and cell phones may not be working. The government will not let the protesters mobilize and any protest leaders would be arrested.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 05:52:45 »
My guess is that riot troops and police will be deployed before the protests get going. Subways will be shut down. The internet and cell phones may not be working. The government will not let the protesters mobilize and any protest leaders would be arrested.

I'm watching a near-real-time feed, it's about 5 minutes delayed and as I write it is 5:50 PM on Monday afternoon in Hong Kong ... reports say that almost 500 people have been arrested; hundreds of flights delayed; some MTR lines and streets have been shut down by the protesters.

Huge stores and malls that are, normally, jammed with tens of thousands of people on a Monday, at the end of the working day, are empty and many shops have been closed all day.

Shutting down the mobile phone service would require a court order. I doubt the police have applied ~ on what grounds would they?

----------

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 07:09:15 »
Interesting wordsmithing by the CHN Communist Party info-machine ...
The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday refuted reports that the People's Liberation Army Garrison in Hong Kong would allegedly be deployed to enforce martial law* on Sunday, and that US and UK passport holders would be "cleaned up," calling such reports "rumors" and " aimed at creating panic."

Hua Chunying, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, said that some Western governments, including the US, have turned black into white and made irresponsible remarks on Hong Kong's situation, which wantonly interfered in China's internal affairs.

"We urge those foreign forces to recognize the situation and determination and ability of the central government to support the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government in administering its policies in accordance with the law and maintaining Hong Kong's security and stability," Hua said.

Since June, rallies have been staged in Hong Kong on the extradition bill. Some radical demonstrators deliberately provoked and created violent incidents, which seriously threatened public safety and affected the rule of law, social order, economic livelihood and international image of Hong Kong. The central government firmly supports the Hong Kong government in handling the situation according to law, Hua said.

"We hope that journalists distinguish between the appeals of ordinary Hong Kong residents from the violent activities of a very small number of radical forces. Do not let the majority of Hong Kong citizens be abducted by a small number of violent forces," Hua said.

Hua added that she has seen reports saying that more and more Hong Kong residents have expressed their dissatisfaction with the actions of radical forces, and wish peace would be restored to Hong Kong as soon as possible.
* - Cynic's read:  if troops help out, they won't be HK Garrison troops?  Or they'll come in under HK law, not Chinese-imposed martial law?

Meanwhile, a bit of what some of those other troops are up to ...
"China, Singapore hold joint military drill on urban anti-terrorism" (CHN military media, with some video)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2019, 20:27:43 »
This from Radio Free Asia (RFA) ...
Veteran journalist and political commentator Willy Lam spoke to RFA's Cantonese Service on Tuesday about why the ruling Chinese Communist Party hasn't cracked down on Hong Kong yet, in spite of escalating protests against amendments to the city's extradition law that could see alleged criminal suspects sent to face trial in mainland Chinese courts:

RFA: So will Beijing send in the People's Liberation Army (PLA) to control unrest in Hong Kong?

Lam: I can say for certain that Xi Jinping isn't even going to consider sending in the PLA before the Oct. 1 National Day celebrations. The reason is very simple: On Oct. 1, they will be celebrating the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China, and President Xi has already arranged for the biggest ever display of military strength on Tiananmen Square. Any deployment of the PLA in Hong Kong before that date would spoil the festive atmosphere, because it would signal the end of the framework of one country, two systems. It would also diminish China in the eyes of the world, and be a loss of face for President Xi.

The entire state machinery for maintaining stability, that's to say the machinery of the police state, began under [former presidents] Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao, but it has become much more powerful since Xi Jinping took power. It now incorporates high-tech features, like artificial intelligence and big data, and the social credit system. So there are many ways in which we can say that the machinery of the police state has already crossed the Shenzhen River into Hong Kong. The clearest example of that is the deployment of a large number of mainland police officers in Hong Kong, after Beijing decided the protests were a color revolution at the beginning of June. The ranks of the Hong Kong riot police now include anti-riot police from the north, who are wearing the uniforms of the Hong Kong police.

RFA: So what about the people in white shirts who attacked the protesters in black shirts in North Point, where people were surrounding the police station?

Lam: Cooperation between the Chinese police and triad organizations goes back many decades, and the mainland Chinese police and armed police forces have always used them to deal with problems that can't be allowed to see the light of day. For example, the use of violence to take land from farmers. This allows them to evade legal responsibility. But we haven't seen this kind of large-scale collusion between police and triad gangs in Hong Kong to target ordinary citizens in more than a century.

The anti-extradition movement in Hong Kong has become a black swan incident for mainland China. Ever since a million people took to the streets on June 9, the whole of Hong Kong society, at every level and in every sector, has been united against the government. Now the movement has broadened into a demand for fully democratic elections. Xi Jinping's main worry right now is how to deploy the machinery of stability maintenance to bring Hong Kong to heel.

RFA: But now the Chinese economy is having problems, isn't it?

Lam: China is facing a serious financial crisis and it is basically insolvent, so Hong Kong's status as an international financial center is more important to China than ever. The Chinese government may also start to demand a "public-private partnership" with the Hong Kong economy. But Hong Kong people won't just demand genuine universal suffrage; they will also extend this struggle to economic and financial activity. More and more middle class businesspeople will be breaking their silence.

And even though the [ruling] Chinese Communist Party keeps suppressing them, there are more and more civil organizations springing up in mainland China all the time. For example, the number of Protestants and Catholics may exceed the number of communists nationwide. Then you have the groups of veterans who often demonstrate, you have a large number of grievances at home, and then there is resistance in Hong Kong. This isn't something that can be solved in the long term using the machinery of stability maintenance. The greater the pressure, the greater the resistance will be.

The continued struggle of the people of Hong Kong over the past few weeks has inspired civil society in mainland China, Taiwan, Southeast Asia, and the rest of the world. I predict that the stability maintenance regime of the Chinese Communist Party dictatorship won't stay effective for very long.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2019, 07:03:15 »
From China's military media - text also attached ...
China on Tuesday further responded to questions on whether the People's Liberation Army (PLA) will be deployed to take over Hong Kong.

Yang Guang, spokesperson for the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council, responded to the question with three points at a media briefing held by the State Council Information Office on Tuesday.

"First, the PLA's 92 years of glorious history has proved its unparalleled reliability and strength when it comes to safeguarding the country's sacred territory.

"Second, the PLA is not only a mighty force, but also a civilized one. The PLA listen to the orders from the Communist Party of China and acts in accordance with laws. And so does the PLA Hong Kong Garrison, which acts in accordance with relevant rules of the Basic Law and the Law of the People's Republic of China on the Garrisoning of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

"Third, we believe that with firm support from the central government and from people in Hong Kong together with people from all over the country, the Hong Kong regional government and Hong Kong police are fully capable of punishing violent crimes and restoring social order and stability.

"These three points become a complete system, and if I need to say one more sentence, it is that the central government and people from all over the country give true support to the prosperity and stability in Hong Kong. The central government will never allow any violation of the principle of 'one country, two systems' to go unpunished and will never let unrest take place that is uncontrollable by the Hong Kong regional government and endanger national unity and safety," Yang said.

Yang's remarks came after Chen Daoxiang, commander of the PLA Garrison in Hong Kong, condemned violence on the streets of Hong Kong and vowed to firmly safeguard China's sovereignty and national security.

The Hong Kong police Tuesday dismissed rumors the PLA has been deployed as Hong Kong police, according to a statement released on the website of the Hong Kong regional government.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2019, 12:03:42 »
Meanwhile, a bit of what some of those other troops are up to ...
"China, Singapore hold joint military drill on urban anti-terrorism" (CHN military media, with some video)

Given that China supported a decades long insurgency conflict against Singapore, and is likely continuing to foment low level insurgency in the Malayan peninsula, I find this joint training interesting.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2019, 20:12:45 »
A reminder from CHN's Communist Party media of who else could drop by to help (with a yet another reminder @ the end of the article)?
Shenzhen police drill mirrors Hong Kong protests
Source:Global Times Published: 2019/8/6 13:08:19

A total of 12,000 police officers in Shenzhen, South China's Guangdong Province participated in a drill on Tuesday, attracting online attention as the drill features emergency scenarios that resemble the ongoing riots in adjacent Hong Kong.

Shenzhen police said that the drill aimed to maintain social stability, encourage the morale of police forces, and prepare the forces ahead of 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China, according to a statement sent by the police to the Global Times on Tuesday.

Participants included all police forces - land, air and sea - and equipment such as armored cars, helicopters and amphibious vehicles.

However, the drill attracted unusual attention on social media as many netizens, who hold a grudge against recent riots in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, said the drill can also call the attention of rioters in Hong Kong, and give Hong Kong police a tip about how to deal with radical protesters.

According to video clips of the drill, people in the crowd simulating a mob wore helmets, masks and black outfits. They constantly threw objects at the shield-holding police forces, and attacked them with wooden sticks.

To deal with such violence, the police fired tear gas and sent police dogs. They used a newly developed cluster tear gas, which has wider coverage and stronger effect compared with traditional ones.

The crowd also pushed blazing carts toward police, who immediately put out the fire with fire extinguishers.

The drill was live broadcasted via many online media platforms.

The crowds' outfits, equipment and the manner in which they attacked the police were very similar to those of the radical protesters in Hong Kong, which prompted many netizens to link the drill with the riots in Hong Kong.

Many suggested that this could send a signal to those rioters, and called on Hong Kong police to learn from the drill.

The live broadcast suffered from lagging streaming speeds from time to time as too many netizens were tuning in.

Hong Kong police are showing restraint in dealing with the radical protesters, and their efforts to safeguard the stability of the region are winning increasing support in the Chinese mainland.

Many mainland netizens, especially young people, who grew up watching Hong Kong crime movies and developed an admiration for Hong Kong police officers, took to social media to express their anger toward the radical anti-government protesters.

Xu Luying, a spokesperson for the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of China's State Council, said Tuesday that with firm and steady support of the central government and all Chinese people including Hong Kong compatriots, the Hong Kong government and the police force have the full ability to bring violent criminals to justice and restore social order and peace.

The netizens' response and assumption came from their worries about the recent situation in Hong Kong and did not indicate the government's intention, Zhang Dinghuai, a professor at the Center for Basic Laws of Hong Kong and Macao Special Administrative Region of Shenzhen University, told the Global Times, noting that the central government will act according to relevant laws.

Responding to a question concerning how to deal with Hong Kong secessionist forces, Wu Qian, a spokesperson of China's Ministry of National Defense cited the Law of the People's Republic of China on the Garrisoning of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), which stipulates that the Hong Kong government can request that the central government to allow the Chinese People's Liberation Army Garrison in Hong Kong to maintain social order and provide disaster relief when necessary.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2019, 17:08:11 »
Friend shared this on facebook, it is being reported that ambulance crews are being spotted wearing military uniforms and are only helping police, and the white shirt gangs. Supplemented by the rumors that the PLA is deploying troops in Hong Kong police uniforms, feels like Beijing is puling out all the stops short of rolling the tanks in. Protesters are also escalating using laser pointers to counter police and facial recognition cameras.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2019, 07:10:19 »
I have heard ~ not confirmed by anyone who is really in the know ~ that some Shenzhen police officers are already in HK, working sort of semi-undercover. They were said to have been dressed in black T-shirts, but blue police trousers and boots, and some tried to mingle with the demonstrators. When confronted they withdrew to the police lines; they were followed and asked for their warrant card numbers, something that every HK police officer recites at the drop of a hat. But, the source says, since they were Chinese cops, not HK ones, they have no warrant cards.

The Hong Kong police have been run off their feet; the current "flow like water" tactics stretches them even further; they are tired and it is showing, I think. They are making mistakes, discipline is breaking down in some cases ~ all to be expected and all in line with old fashioned "revolutionary warfare" doctrine and tactics. 

The use of Chinse Army troops would be an admission that HK cannot govern itself. That's something that neither the officials, in Beijing and HK, nor the demonstrators want. The only source of police reinforcements is the mainland Chinese civil police, but they are very, very unlike the HK police in training and attitudes.

----------

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2019, 10:21:59 »
I have heard ~ not confirmed by anyone who is really in the know ~ that some Shenzhen police officers are already in HK, working sort of semi-undercover. They were said to have been dressed in black T-shirts, but blue police trousers and boots, and some tried to mingle with the demonstrators. When confronted they withdrew to the police lines; they were followed and asked for their warrant card numbers, something that every HK police officer recites at the drop of a hat. But, the source says, since they were Chinese cops, not HK ones, they have no warrant cards.

The Hong Kong police have been run off their feet; the current "flow like water" tactics stretches them even further; they are tired and it is showing, I think. They are making mistakes, discipline is breaking down in some cases ~ all to be expected and all in line with old fashioned "revolutionary warfare" doctrine and tactics. 

The use of Chinse Army troops would be an admission that HK cannot govern itself. That's something that neither the officials, in Beijing and HK, nor the demonstrators want. The only source of police reinforcements is the mainland Chinese civil police, but they are very, very unlike the HK police in training and attitudes.

The Gurkhas always had good success at controlling the crowds in Hong Kong, although the results were not always to the liking of the protesters :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2019, 11:22:16 »
The Gurkhas always had good success at controlling the crowds in Hong Kong, although the results were not always to the liking of the protesters :)

I hear a lot of the things the Gurkhas did and do are not to the liking for those on the other side.  :)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2019, 12:03:27 »
I hear a lot of the things the Gurkhas did and do are not to the liking for those on the other side.  :)

Different time zone, different ROE ;)

https://coconuts.co/hongkong/news/british-army-would-have-shot-hong-kong-protestors-80s/

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2019, 12:20:40 »
I wish the US could raise a Gurkha battalion or two.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2019, 12:38:32 »
I wish the US could raise a Gurkha battalion or two.

You can, for the right price :)

Trump might need the objective body guarding help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha_Reserve_Unit

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2019, 19:42:24 »
I have heard ~ not confirmed by anyone who is really in the know ~ that some Shenzhen police officers are already in HK, working sort of semi-undercover...
A reminder from CHN's Communist Party media of who else could drop by to help (with a yet another reminder @ the end of the article)?
Shenzhen police drill mirrors Hong Kong protests

(...)
Same Communist Party info-machine sharing some Twitter video of "armed police armored vehicle fleet" preparing for "a drill in Shenzhen, S China's Guangdong province" - a few screen captures attached, as well as a map showing where Shenzen is re:  Hong Kong.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 19:45:05 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 07:25:15 »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 12:14:13 »
Hong Kong the pearl of the orient is about to be overwhelmed by the PRC. To be just another part of the megapolis pearl delta megacity. 

As all things come to an end.

But in decades future they can look back an say it was better under the British

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2019, 12:21:16 »
The "T" word and variations seem to be popping up in Communist Party and Chinese government media ...
Looks like they're setting up their response to any deaths from the inevitable PRC intervention;  crushing internal pro-democracy = bad -- responding to evil domestic terror = well, what country wouldn't do the same?

Given the photo op that was Tiananmen Square, you won't see any tanks, merely  'armoured cars'... like many police forces and Brinks or Garda use.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2019, 12:27:09 »
… responding to evil domestic terror = well, what country wouldn't do the same? ...
Especially terror fanned by foreign interlopers, right?

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2019, 12:31:11 »
To be honest, when you said "the T-word," I initially presumed you meant "Trump" or "Trudeau" -- those words tend to set some people off regardless of context or details.   ;D

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2019, 12:33:24 »

I'm an amateur in the world of international relations, but isn't it a bit rich of China to express displeasure at "foreign interlopers"?

:2c:
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2019, 12:33:55 »
To be honest, when you said "the T-word," I initially presumed you meant "Trump" or "Trudeau" -- those words tend to set some people off regardless of context or details.   ;D

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2019, 14:44:39 »
"Just because we do it doesn't mean we like others doing it to us" ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2019, 19:36:19 »
This from POTUS45 - more in the South China Morning Post here.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2019, 22:45:08 »
This from POTUS45 - more in the South China Morning Post here.
Just to confirm, this is the 16-17 US Intelligence Agencies that Trump hates/distrusts/undermines.....  NOW  they're magically quotable? :pop:

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2019, 23:22:55 »
No, he used open source ....
Living the lean life

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2019, 09:33:54 »
Just to confirm, this is the 16-17 US Intelligence Agencies that Trump hates/distrusts/undermines.....  NOW  they're magically quotable? :pop:

Perhaps Fox News hasn't taken a position yet ...  :dunno:
----------

Online Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2019, 10:55:36 »

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2019, 11:39:49 »
China has cancelled upcoming port visits to Hong Kong by two US Navy warships amid continued protests and rising tensions.

The San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS Green Bay was set to visit Hong Kong on August 17, and the Ticonderoga-class cruiser USS Lake Erie was expected to arrive next month.

The Chinese government has, however, decided to deny these requests, the US Pacific Fleet told INSIDER in a statement Tuesday ...
Source (businessinsider.com, 13 Aug 2019)
The US' request to have its navy warships visit Hong Kong amid protests there is inappropriate and could have ulterior motives, Chinese experts said on Wednesday as China has reportedly turned the request down.

US Navy's transport dock ship Green Bay and guided missile cruiser Lake Erie requested port visits to Hong Kong in the next few weeks, but China has rejected the request, CNN reported on Wednesday, citing a statement by Nate Christensen, the deputy spokesman for the US Navy's Pacific Fleet.

This is not the first time China has denied a visit by a US warship to Hong Kong. In September 2018, China decline a port visit for US amphibious assault ship Wasp.

Yang Yujun, dean of the Academy of Media and Public Affairs at Communication University of China and a former Defense Ministry spokesperson, told the Global Times on Wednesday that it is within China's scope of sovereignty to approve a US warship's request to visit Hong Kong, just as the US needs to approve visits by Chinese naval vessels to Hawaii

"The security situation in Hong Kong is very severe, and the US government had just issued a travel warning to US citizens. At this timing, the US' request to have warships stop by in Hong Kong is contradictory to the warning and very inappropriate," Yang said.

"We can clearly see the role the US has been playing in the turmoil in Hong Kong. We are highly suspicious of US motives, now that it still expects to have warships visit Hong Kong," Yang noted ...
Source (CHN military media, 14 Aug 2019 - full text also attached if you don't want to click on a CHN mil link)

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline commander-cb

• Rate Post
    • wx
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2019, 22:21:27 »
Funny. The Tiananmen square guy standing in front of a column of tanks.. If you look around you can find the picture of the column that goes for miles
Application began approx 2010
Cfat passed
Current first choice  00135
Second. 00136
Third. Avn structures

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 00:34:45 »
Global news video about protests (on both sides) in Halifax. 

I chuckled a bit at the end with the modified Mustang with a "Bayi" decal, which happens to be one of the insignia for the PLA.  That means "August 1st", in honour of its formation on Aug 1, 1927. 

https://globalnews.ca/video/5779861/hundreds-rally-in-halifax-over-hong-kong-political-unrest

Offline commander-cb

• Rate Post
    • wx
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 11:13:57 »
300,000 to be approximate ...  I lived in Vancouver. I left because of Chinese abuse and bulling. Only so many times I can be spit on before I call them out. I would do a Tiananmen 2.o
Application began approx 2010
Cfat passed
Current first choice  00135
Second. 00136
Third. Avn structures

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: Yesterday at 11:19:45 »
300,000 to be approximate ...  I lived in Vancouver. I left because of Chinese abuse and bulling. Only so many times I can be spit on before I call them out. I would do a Tiananmen 2.o

Spit on?   ???

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: Yesterday at 11:31:13 »

Who was bullying?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 23:18:38 »
I lived in Vancouver. I left because of Chinese abuse and bulling.

That's disappointing and surprising to hear. Here in the GTA I've had nothing but positive and pleasant experiences - professional and personal - with Chinese-Canadians.

If I had any negative experiences, I don't remember any.

This man passed away last year and did a lot for our community ( Swansea ).
http://www.swansea.ca/people-alex-ling.php

Looking at some photos of the protest at Hong Kong airport. People holding up signs apologising to travellers for inconvenience.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=641&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=wBFaXdCDOZCHggfKpaSYAg&q=%22hong+kong%22+airport+apology+&oq=%22hong+kong%22+airport+apology+&gs_l=img.12..35i39.325663.336560..340594...0.0..0.164.766.0j6......0....1..gws-wiz-img.QvigGV6jCes&ved=0ahUKEwjQ45jL-Y3kAhWQg-AKHcoSCSMQ4dUDCAY#spf=1566184218630
« Last Edit: Today at 09:33:46 by mariomike »