Author Topic: October 2019: Turkey into Syria to Deal With Kurds  (Read 12578 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: October 2019: Turkey into Syria to Deal With Kurds
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 17:26:57 »
If I was a Kurd I'd give them all one way tickets to New York, and book them into Trump Towers :)

You're a brilliant man. :nod:
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2019, 17:38:38 »
You're a brilliant man. :nod:

Please tell my kids that.... ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2019, 18:31:28 »
He said, "They didn't help us in the Second World War. They didn't help us with Normandy, as an example."

I don't know how they could have, other than as individuals, because the Kurds were - and are - stateless. 

In any case, the United States today is friendly with Germany, Japan and Italy.

Saw this in the New York Times today,
Others questioned whether any member of the Trump family had fought for the United States during World War II and noted that during the Vietnam War, the president received five draft deferments.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/10/world/middleeast/trump-kurds-normandy.html

The NYT also posted this in the same article,
Who would Donald Trump have supported in World War Two or would this draft-dodger have sat the war out as a non participant!
https://twitter.com/BarrySheerman/status/1182192987083825152

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 19:10:02 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2019, 20:03:12 »
He said, "They didn't help us in the Second World War. They didn't help us with Normandy, as an example."

That comment made me want to Spartan kick him. What an absolutely obnoxious crap head thing to say.

You're right again, he didn't serve in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, either gulf wars. Who on earth is he to make a comment like that? Just brutal.

That comment put me square in the GTFO camp.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2019, 20:56:47 »
That comment made me want to Spartan kick him. What an absolutely obnoxious crap head thing to say.
Whenever he talks about NATO not pulling it's weight, he seems to forget all the NATO folks who died in Afghanistan & Iraq, too, so sadly, it's not the first time he appears to take allies for granted. :(

Meanwhile, a few recent tidbits ...
* - Emphasis mine.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 21:03:03 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2019, 21:16:29 »
And one more, from the "child kills both parents & asks judge for mercy because he's an orphan" file ...
Turkey's assault on Syrian Kurdish forces has not breached a red line declared by President Donald Trump, a US official said Thursday, as he added that Washington wanted to broker a ceasefire.

(...)

On Twitter on Thursday, Trump said that he hoped to "mediate a deal between Turkey and the Kurds" -- saying the alternatives were sending in "thousands of troops" or hitting Turkey hard with sanctions.

Asked to elaborate on the remarks, the US official said that Trump had asked diplomats to seek an end to the violence.*

"We have been tasked by the president to try to see if there are areas of commonality between the two sides, if there's a way that we can find our way to a ceasefire," the official said ...

* - edited to add:  In fairness, here's the full quote from a Whitehouse scrum ...
... we have no soldiers in Syria. We've won. We've beat ISIS. And we've beat them badly and decisively. We have no soldiers.

The last thing I want to do is bring thousands and thousands of soldiers in and defeat everybody again. We've already done that.

So what we have is really two choices: You have the choice of bringing in the military and defeating everybody again, or you have the choice of financially doing some very strong things to Turkey so that they take it a little bit easy on, really, competition that is -- I don't think it's being fairly treated in many ways, okay? We have a very good relationship with the Kurds. Or we can mediate. I hope we can mediate, John. I hope we can mediate ...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 21:32:31 by milnews.ca »

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2019, 23:41:25 »
Maybe we could buy Turkey off with arms and cash rather than sanctions ?

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2019, 00:56:55 »

You're right again, he didn't serve in WW2, Korea, Vietnam, either gulf wars. Who on earth is he to make a comment like that? Just brutal.

That comment put me square in the GTFO camp.

This is the article he is poorly quoting, although i don't agree completely with it either. https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2019/10/08/critics-aghast-as-trump-keeps-word-about-no-more-wars-n2554328

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2019, 02:32:54 »
  I am deeply troubled by this decision and I see Jarod Kushner and like minded people in the White House behind this. I suspect that is why Matis left. Kushner lacks experience in the military-political sphere. Well Obama lacked experience and his foreign policy was a failure. You can trust the Israelis but you cant trust Erdogen I know I dont. But then I am just an arm chair strategist now. ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:52:56 by tomahawk6 »

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2019, 07:15:18 »
This is the article he is poorly quoting, although i don't agree completely with it either. https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2019/10/08/critics-aghast-as-trump-keeps-word-about-no-more-wars-n2554328
Thanks for this.  I note the author also takes the tack used by Turkish media about "we're not really fighting the KURD Kurds ..." too ...
... all Kurds are not equal. The PKK – the Kurdistan Workers' Party – are a bunch of commie terrorists who have been fighting the Turks for a long time. Those reds are no friends of ours, and it’s their antics that seem to be inspiring the Turkish campaign ...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:18:38 by milnews.ca »

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2019, 07:33:21 »
P.S. -- A reminder (with thanks to Ted Campbell for pointing this out in one of his latest pieces) ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2019, 09:16:33 »
You can trust the Israelis but you cant trust Erdogen I know I dont. But then I am just an an chair strategist now. ;D

Having met a few guys in the 6th Airborne Division who fought against the Irgun & Stern gangs post-WW2, as well as a couple of UN Canadians who were blown up by them in the Sinai, I'd prefer to continue to view them as just another bunch of folks in the middle east who should be viewed with polite suspicion from a safe distance.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2019, 09:40:53 »
I'd prefer to continue to view them as just another bunch of folks in the middle east who should be viewed with polite suspicion from a safe distance.

Well, Trump has already been bought off by Netanyahu's Potemkin village, so no anti-Israeli suspicion allowed.  Nothing to see here; move along.

Offline Czech_pivo

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2019, 11:00:13 »
Having met a few guys in the 6th Airborne Division who fought against the Irgun & Stern gangs post-WW2, as well as a couple of UN Canadians who were blown up by them in the Sinai, I'd prefer to continue to view them as just another bunch of folks in the middle east who should be viewed with polite suspicion from a safe distance.

Let's not forget how many times our passports have been abused around the world.

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2019, 12:45:49 »
  . . .  You can trust the Israelis . . .

There are probably a couple hundred former US sailors who may disagree with you.

http://www.gtr5.com/
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2019, 14:45:32 »
Why the hate ?

Online CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2019, 15:13:13 »
Not hate.  But not unconditional support either.

It was Israel who sank a US warship, deliberately.  And much more recently, it was Israel who shelled UN observation posts, killing a Canadian among others.

But between Israel and Turkey, Israel absolutely is the better choice between the two - I think most people would agree with you on that.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
... Move!! ...

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2019, 17:43:30 »
Turkey Bombs US Special Forces: https://nationalpost.com/news/world/report-turkey-has-just-bombed-u-s-special-forces-in-syria

If they were SEALS or Green Berets then it’s ok.  Neither unit were at the Normandy invasion to help out.
Optio

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2019, 17:54:21 »
Not hate.  But not unconditional support either.

It was Israel who sank a US warship, deliberately. 

If you are talking about the USS Liberty she wasn't sunk, but shot to pieces and 34 people killed. And you are right, it was deliberate.
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2019, 18:04:13 »

If you are talking about the USS Liberty she wasn't sunk, but shot to pieces and 34 people killed. And you are right, it was deliberate.

Thats messed up. Seems Israel does whatever it wants.

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2019, 18:21:18 »
P.S. -- A reminder (with thanks to Ted Campbell for pointing this out in one of his latest pieces) ...

Yeah, but they didn't help out at NORMANDY....  :tsktsk:
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2019, 19:31:07 »
(with thanks to Ted Campbell for pointing this out in one of his latest pieces) ...

He had this to say,

Donald Trump is a disgrace.

He is an intellectually weak bully who, almost instinctively, sides with autocrats against freedom fighters.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 19:54:17 by mariomike »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2019, 20:29:20 »
Yeah, but they didn't help out at NORMANDY....  :tsktsk:

Neither did KSA, hmmm wonder if they are worried?