Author Topic: US Navy Woes  (Read 11345 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: US Navy Woes
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2020, 23:01:26 »
The US Navy has devised a solution to the problems of competency and morale among its surface warfare officers.  Leather jackets!

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=111811

At least the aviation community has some history with leather jackets.  I'm not sure how a leather jacket will make people want to stay.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2020, 00:40:21 »
The USN has more people than some armies, over 300000, but they will try to fix this with more money. I think the real problem is lack of leadership. Same issue in the Army. You have to actally live leadership. For example early in my career it was all about taking care of your men and they will take care of you.  8)

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2020, 10:53:14 »
At least the aviation community has some history with leather jackets.  I'm not sure how a leather jacket will make people want to stay.

I'm picturing a bunch of Navigators who just finished the FNO course sitting around the gun room whinging....

"But we're pilots too you know!"

I like sailing but I've got no problem saying certain NWOs come off a little self-entitled at times.  The career manager briefs with all the whinging about promotion speed, money, etc are always entertaining.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2020, 11:12:57 »
I'm picturing a bunch of Navigators who just finished the FNO course sitting around the gun room whinging....

"But we're pilots too you know!"

I like sailing but I've got no problem saying certain NWOs come off a little self-entitled at times.  The career manager briefs with all the whinging about promotion speed, money, etc are always entertaining.

Meanwhile, half of the aircrew officers are trying to find ways NOT to get promoted and posted out of line squadrons...
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2020, 12:06:43 »
Well, it worked for the RCAF's pilot problems, right?

No.

The difference is that the US Navy PROVIDES the jackets and lets you WEAR them on operations = potential improvement to morale, however minor.

The RCAF makes you BUY the jacket, and PROHIBITS you from wearing them on operations = institutionally passive-aggressive kick to the groin.

;D

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2020, 13:11:02 »
Meanwhile, half of the aircrew officers are trying to find ways NOT to get promoted and posted out of line squadrons...

Hahahaha!

I'm using that... "If you are such a shiphandling rockstar, why are you trying to get promoted so you no longer have to do it?"   ;D

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2020, 13:44:16 »
No.

The difference is that the US Navy PROVIDES the jackets and lets you WEAR them on operations = potential improvement to morale, however minor.

The RCAF makes you BUY the jacket, and PROHIBITS you from wearing them on operations = institutionally passive-aggressive kick to the groin.

;D

I think the disconnect is this:

“The Surface Warfare community has a long-standing history of excellence, and a uniquely identifiable item is one way to signify the outstanding achievement and professionalism of our Surface Warfare Officers,” said Vice Adm. Richard Brown, commander, Naval Surface Forces. “Those who wear the jacket will be easily identified as a part of a long lineage of professional ship drivers and maritime warfighters.

People who see "leather jacket" will think "aviator", not "Surface Warfare Officer".  They could have their warfare insignia on the nametag but everyone will still think "hey, s/he's a pilot!" 

Also, the leather jacket is hardly unique; flight crew have been wearing them for almost a century.  If anything, having SWOs wear it now is weird.  If they want to be unique, give them something else.  Maybe a ColRegs patch*.   ;)

*too soon?