Author Topic: New Armor Brigade Rotates to the ROK  (Read 739 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
New Armor Brigade Rotates to the ROK
« on: February 13, 2020, 22:27:46 »
Rather than permanently base a unit in Korea the plan is to rotate a unit in and out of the country. Lots of good things come from this.

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/new-rotational-brigade-begins-transition-to-south-korea-with-equipment-arrival-1.618538

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
Re: New Armor Brigade Rotates to the ROK
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 23:19:00 »
I went to Seoul about a year & a half ago, and getting posted to Korea would honestly be awesome.  Such a great country - food was amazing, people were super genuinely friendly, great energy to the place, lots to do.  Not a bad posting at all.

I got a quick little 'bus tour' of Camp Humphreys, and it's quite the place!!  Literally feels like your in upper-class suburban America.  Has it's own decent sized shopping mall, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.  We went to a movie at the movie theatre on base, voted "Best in the Army" - and it was pretty impressive.  Felt like a new upper-end movie theatre here.

All in all - minus it raining NK artillery - pretty good posting for sure.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 18:08:52 »
I got a quick little 'bus tour' of Camp Humphreys, and it's quite the place!!  Literally feels like your in upper-class suburban America.  Has it's own decent sized shopping mall, restaurants, grocery stores, etc.  We went to a movie at the movie theatre on base, voted "Best in the Army" - and it was pretty impressive.  Felt like a new upper-end movie theatre here.

That's pretty much all US bases.  Sigonella was somewhat similar but split with the Italians.  Still, the US part had the same architecture, etc as the California and Hawaii US bases.

I still get a kick out of having to stand at attention for the US national anthem prior to a movie playing.  I'm not sure if it varies by base, but the montage during the anthem is 10000% 'Murica.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 19:52:27 »
I still get a kick out of having to stand at attention for the US national anthem prior to a movie playing.

No. Way.  :o
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 20:08:53 »
No. Way.  :o

This one is USN-specific (who knew they had service-specific movie theatre national anthems?) but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErYJtDGaJY
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."