Author Topic: Former U.S. military service  (Read 48478 times)

IJB21

Re: Former U.S. military service
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2004, 23:37:00 »
Hey

I‘m an American citizen, but would love to serve in the Canadian Forces- Army. I‘ve been to Canada and loved it, and have had an interest in the military for as long as i could remember. I would definately move north and enlist if I could. Any advice from anyone?

Thanks Alot

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2004, 23:53:00 »
Originally posted by IJB21:
[qb] Hey

I‘m an American citizen, but would love to serve in the Canadian Forces- Army. I‘ve been to Canada and loved it, and have had an interest in the military for as long as i could remember. I would definately move north and enlist if I could. Any advice from anyone?
[/qb]
A landed immigrant can serve in the reserves, you need to be a citizen to serve in the regular forces.

Offline Sappo

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2004, 02:39:00 »
I was asking the same thing about going the other way, from Canada to US forces.

Sounded long and complicated.

Offline bbupd

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2004, 21:57:00 »
Originally posted by Sappo:
[qb] I was asking the same thing about going the other way, from Canada to US forces.

Sounded long and complicated. [/qb]
I take it you gave up?

Offline kurokaze

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2004, 10:40:00 »
Originally posted by Just a Sig Op:
[qb]  
Originally posted by IJB21:
[qb] Hey

[/qb]
A landed immigrant can serve in the reserves, you need to be a citizen to serve in the regular forces. [/qb]
Not anymore.  Now you have to be a Canadian Citizen to serve in regs or reserves.

Offline Caz

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2004, 15:42:00 »
Originally posted by kurokaze:
[qb]Not anymore.  Now you have to be a Canadian Citizen to serve in regs or reserves. [/qb]
Can you show me reference on that?

We just had a reserve officer attested that‘s a landed immigrant.
JRC

Offline East Side Soprano

• Rate Post
  • Soldier
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2004, 17:29:00 »
Check this link out:   http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/html/careers/career_advantage/training.html  

The jist of it is that you have to be a Canadian citizen to serve in the reg force but a landed immigrant can serve in the reserves as an NCM.

Offline Caz

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2004, 20:29:00 »
In CFAOs we trust  ;)

Thanks, East Side.
JRC

Offline BenFG

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 16:42:41 »
Does anyone know if someone with prior military service applying for the Canadian army can bypass basic training and/or receive advanced rank upon enlisting?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 17:00:13 »
Does anyone know if someone with prior military service applying for the Canadian army can bypass basic training and/or receive advanced rank upon enlisting?

These discussions may be of interest to you.

Will the Canadian Armed Forces count time served in the US Army?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=108238.0

Will my time in the U.S. Army count for anything?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,18494.msg914640.html#msg914640
Reply #305
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 17:15:15 by mariomike »

Offline BenFG

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 17:41:49 »
Appreciate the response, answer seems to be a "no" with the exception of some speciality schools.

MikeL

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 18:04:07 »
Ben,  do you have prior service in the US Military?  I'm curious because in 2011, you were asking questions regarding joining as Signaller in the Canadian Army. As well, going off info you posted, you would be 19 or 20 right now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 18:11:26 by -Skeletor- »

Offline BenFG

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 18:49:21 »
20 as of yesterday. I picked a bad time to try and join the forces, after 2+ years of trying to go combat arms with the forces. I was lucky enough to get a TACP contract with the USAF. I'm currently 5 months into my pipeline.  I did this in the hopes of making myself more marketable to the forces when I reapply after my 4 year stint.

MikeL

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 19:04:20 »
I'm assuming you are an American citizen? Are you/were you a dual Canadian/US citizen?

So, you joined the USAF in the hopes of making yourself a better candidate for the Canadian Forces?

Also,  because you were asking about JTACs in the CF; you are aware that you may not be a JTAC at the end of a 4 year TACP contract? No doubt, a TACP/ROMAD will get some great experience and training in their first 4 years. However, JTAC qualification may or may not be something you get in that time frame.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 19:06:57 by -Skeletor- »

Offline BenFG

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, 19:16:24 »
I am indeed a U.S citizen.  I joined the USAF for a multitude of reasons, mainly to be an operator regardless of the flag on my shoulder. I love both my countries but I had to pursue the opportunity presented to me. I wanted a chance to deploy at a younger age and get operational experience rather then go  to college and drink away my 20s.

Although not guaranteed it is possible to get my jtac quals before my enlistment is up, fingers crossed I don't get hurt or caught up with the law. With the war winding down it's mostly a waiting game until I make SrA to get a school slot.

On a side note they are trying to put JTAC and JFO into the pipeline to expedite the wait.

Offline notreallypaul

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 19:31:44 »
I have been a long time reader but have not posted, but I have come up wifh a question I can't find an answer to.

I have had a longstanding desire to serve in the military, and actually had made application early this year.  I still want to do it, but I was also just hired to a municipal police department.  So I am now thinking reserve as opposed to my original plan for regular forces.  While I am a Canadian citizen, I live and work in the US...specifically in Northern Maine which is geographically and culturally very close to New Brunswick, just 10 minutes drive east.  Gagetown is an hour away, and US reservists here travel there quite often to train.  The simple solution would be to move and change jobs 10 minutes east.  However, as a police officer in a place with different laws, and retirement system considerations, this is not a simple career decision...although I am still early enough to switch I suppose. 

Anyway, my basic question is this: Is it reasonable or possible to enlist while living and maintaining my career just west of the border?  Does anyone know someone who does this successfully?

Thank you for your responses, and for your service.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 19:36:57 »
I have had a longstanding desire to serve in the military, and actually had made application early this year

I was also just hired to a municipal police department. 

In the US.

Since you have already applied to the CAF, why not contact Recruiting? Let them know what's going on with your US police career. That you will no longer be joining the CAF Regular Force, and ask their advice.

•   Visit the link to our Forces site, ( http://www.forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73 ) and submit a status update request for your application.
•   If you know your application number, include it in the email.
•   If you do not know your application number, ensure you include your first name, last name, date of birth and the postal code of your home address. This will ensure that the recruiter who receives your email can locate your application and provide you with a status update.

Who can apply:

To apply to the Forces, you must:
1.Be a Canadian Citizen.
2.Be 17 years of age, with parental consent, or older, except: •Regular Officer Training Plan – Junior applications must be 16 or older.
•Reserve Force - Applicants may be 16 years of age if they are also enrolled as a full-time high school student.
3.Have completed at least Grade 10 or Secondaire IV (in Quebec). •Certain entry programs and occupations require higher levels of education.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#who

If you have ever lived outside Canada or have an immediate family member who currently lives outside Canada: You will be asked to fill out the “Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment Questionnaire”.  You should be prepared to provide adequate, verifiable information for the last 10 years. This information is used to determine if a Security Clearance Pre-Assessment is required, especially if you:
•have dual citizenship
•if you lived, worked, studied or travelled outside of Canada in the last 10 years for a total of at least 180 days
•if you have a child, parent, step-parent, spouse, in-laws, brother or sister (half & step) living outside of Canada

If a Clearance Pre-Assessment is required, it can take between 6 to 18 months to complete.

Gagetown is an hour away, and US reservists here travel there quite often to train.

If you don't mind me asking, if you are eligible to do so, why not join an American Reserve unit?

Also, is joining the CAF Reserve ok with your municipal US police department?

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Is it reasonable or possible to enlist while living and maintaining my career just west of the border?

DAA would be a good person to talk to ask about this,
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=7446

Also your US employer.

Personally, I'd get settled into the new full-time job in the US, before looking for a part-time job in Canada.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 20:18:47 by mariomike »

Offline notreallypaul

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 20:18:16 »
I will contact recruiting.  This site is such a good resource I thought I'd find some starting answers, but as I said, no one seems to have asked this.  As far as the other general requirements posted go, I meet all of them, so thats no issue.

To be honest my US police department may not be that excited about me taking large amounts of additional time off, however I would not have any issue giving one weekend a month; they really don't care what I do in my scheduled time off.  I do intend to settle in with them first, they have been good to me and I am happy with my job.  This is more of a plan going forward I am thinking about.  I like to be prepared.

I did inquire about a US reserve unit, however I am not eligible as I do not meet their age requirement, I just turned 40 and their cut off is 35 in recent years.  I am in excellent health and physical shape, but thats their limit, so it is what it is.  Some jobs like law enforment also may require me to renounce my Canadian citizenship for a security clearance (I hold US citizenship as well).  That is something I absolutely will never do.
Thanks for giving me some starting points to think about.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 20:22:06 by notreallypaul »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 20:20:34 »
To be honest my US police department may not be that excited about me taking large amounts of additional time off, however I would not have any issue giving one weekend a month; they really don't care what I do in my scheduled time off.

You know from reading here that BMQ and trade training can be a challenge if you have a full-time job. Especially if you are on shift work.

Is there a CAF armoury anywhere near you?

Thanks for giving me some starting points to think about.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

And talk to DAA!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 20:31:15 by mariomike »

LightFighter

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 21:07:13 »

To be honest my US police department may not be that excited about me taking large amounts of additional time off, however I would not have any issue giving one weekend a month; they really don't care what I do in my scheduled time off. 

The weekend BMQ schedule would probably be 2 weekends a month.

Also, you would be required to do your DP1 course(length varies depending on trade/MOSID) over the summer, which would be full time. As well, you would require time off for other courses required for career advancement(DP2, PLQ, etc). Some may be offered part time while others would be full time.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 21:13:56 by LightFighter »

Offline muskrat89

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Desert Rat
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2016, 23:51:52 »
It was 20 years ago (or more), but I was a member of 89 Bty in Woodstock, NB and moved to Houlton, Maine. I continued to train in Woodstock (and drive back and forth across the border) for a couple of years, until I took my release and moved to Arizona. Granted, I didn't make any official inquiries, I just did it
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 08:45:14 »
I did inquire about a US reserve unit, however I am not eligible as I do not meet their age requirement, I just turned 40 and their cut off is 35 in recent years. 

That is interesting compared to the CAF.

Similar to Emergency Services ( at least in NYC ),
Not have reached 29th birthday by the beginning of the application process.

To be honest, I can't say that I disagree with that.

It was 20 years ago (or more), but I was a member of 89 Bty in Woodstock, NB and moved to Houlton, Maine. I continued to train in Woodstock (and drive back and forth across the border) for a couple of years, until I took my release and moved to Arizona. Granted, I didn't make any official inquiries, I just did it

See also,

Canadian Reserves, just a few questions - Locked.
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=80175.msg763605#msg763605
"If you move to the US before you join the Reserves, there will be an effect, and you will in all likelihood not be able to join the Reserves.  If you apply to join the Reserves prior to any plans to move to the US, then there will probably not be any problems."

This is a long shot as it is for trained Reservists, but the OP may, or may not, find this of interest,

Milnet.ca
Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=104905.0

Forces.ca
Reserve Force Foreign Service Arrangements
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-for-members-reservists/foreign-service-agreements.page

CAN Reservists serving overseas (merged thread)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=58217.msg1179622#msg1179622
3 pages.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:47:48 by mariomike »

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 08:56:26 »
Since you're already a permanent resident in the US and discouraged from the US Army's age 35 cutoff, have you instead considered the Air National Guard in your state?

This link below says that the ANG age limit is 40: (please scroll down to the list below the article)
https://www.thebalance.com/us-military-enlistment-standards-3354001

While another one says it's 39 for regular US Air Force:
http://www.stripes.com/news/air-force/air-force-raises-enlistee-age-limit-from-27-to-39-1.290578

If one reads the various sources online, you'll see the age limit means the cutoff is above the specified age limit, not when they turn into the cutoff age; this means he has until just before his 41st birthday to enlist in the Maine ANG.

I think there may be age waivers as well. You can double check the Maine ANG website to be sure.

HOW TO JOIN
DO YOU QUALIFY?

Non-Prior Service Requirements
     (If you've never been in any military service):
-At least 17 years old (with parental or guardian consent), and not older than 40

I hope the links above can help.

SMA
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:25:09 by S.M.A. »
Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 09:08:02 »
I just turned 40

This link below says that the ANG age limit is 40:

While another one says it's 39 for regular US Air Force:

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2016, 09:44:54 »
That is interesting compared to the CAF.

Similar to Emergency Services ( at least in NYC ),
Not have reached 29th birthday by the beginning of the application process.

To be honest, I can't say that I disagree with that.

See also,

Canadian Reserves, just a few questions - Locked.
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=80175.msg763605#msg763605

Reserve Forces Foreign Service Arrangements
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=104905.0

Forces.ca
Reserve Force Foreign Service Arrangements
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-support-services-for-members-reservists/foreign-service-agreements.page

CAN Reservists serving overseas (merged thread)
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=58217.msg1179622#msg1179622
3 pages.

The RFFSA (UK/AUS) and RFTP (US) do not apply in this situation.  The OP would have to have already been a currently serving member of the CAF P Res for consideration under these programs.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:57:56 by Haggis »
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.