Author Topic: Prior U.S military service transfer?  (Read 39388 times)

IJB21

Re: Prior U.S military service transfer?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2004, 23:37:00 »
Hey

I‘m an American citizen, but would love to serve in the Canadian Forces- Army. I‘ve been to Canada and loved it, and have had an interest in the military for as long as i could remember. I would definately move north and enlist if I could. Any advice from anyone?

Thanks Alot

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2004, 23:53:00 »
Originally posted by IJB21:
[qb] Hey

I‘m an American citizen, but would love to serve in the Canadian Forces- Army. I‘ve been to Canada and loved it, and have had an interest in the military for as long as i could remember. I would definately move north and enlist if I could. Any advice from anyone?
[/qb]
A landed immigrant can serve in the reserves, you need to be a citizen to serve in the regular forces.

Offline Sappo

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2004, 02:39:00 »
I was asking the same thing about going the other way, from Canada to US forces.

Sounded long and complicated.

Offline bbupd

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2004, 21:57:00 »
Originally posted by Sappo:
[qb] I was asking the same thing about going the other way, from Canada to US forces.

Sounded long and complicated. [/qb]
I take it you gave up?

Offline kurokaze

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2004, 10:40:00 »
Originally posted by Just a Sig Op:
[qb]  
Originally posted by IJB21:
[qb] Hey

[/qb]
A landed immigrant can serve in the reserves, you need to be a citizen to serve in the regular forces. [/qb]
Not anymore.  Now you have to be a Canadian Citizen to serve in regs or reserves.

Offline Caz

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2004, 15:42:00 »
Originally posted by kurokaze:
[qb]Not anymore.  Now you have to be a Canadian Citizen to serve in regs or reserves. [/qb]
Can you show me reference on that?

We just had a reserve officer attested that‘s a landed immigrant.
JRC

Offline East Side Soprano

• Rate Post
  • Soldier
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2004, 17:29:00 »
Check this link out:   http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/html/careers/career_advantage/training.html  

The jist of it is that you have to be a Canadian citizen to serve in the reg force but a landed immigrant can serve in the reserves as an NCM.

Offline Caz

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2004, 20:29:00 »
In CFAOs we trust  ;)

Thanks, East Side.
JRC

Offline BenFG

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 16:42:41 »
Does anyone know if someone with prior military service applying for the Canadian army can bypass basic training and/or receive advanced rank upon enlisting?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 17:00:13 »
Does anyone know if someone with prior military service applying for the Canadian army can bypass basic training and/or receive advanced rank upon enlisting?

These discussions may be of interest to you.

Will the Canadian Armed Forces count time served in the US Army?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=108238.0

Will my time in the U.S. Army count for anything?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,18494.msg914640.html#msg914640
Reply #305
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 17:15:15 by mariomike »

Offline BenFG

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 17:41:49 »
Appreciate the response, answer seems to be a "no" with the exception of some speciality schools.

MikeL

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2013, 18:04:07 »
Ben,  do you have prior service in the US Military?  I'm curious because in 2011, you were asking questions regarding joining as Signaller in the Canadian Army. As well, going off info you posted, you would be 19 or 20 right now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 18:11:26 by -Skeletor- »

Offline BenFG

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 18:49:21 »
20 as of yesterday. I picked a bad time to try and join the forces, after 2+ years of trying to go combat arms with the forces. I was lucky enough to get a TACP contract with the USAF. I'm currently 5 months into my pipeline.  I did this in the hopes of making myself more marketable to the forces when I reapply after my 4 year stint.

MikeL

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 19:04:20 »
I'm assuming you are an American citizen? Are you/were you a dual Canadian/US citizen?

So, you joined the USAF in the hopes of making yourself a better candidate for the Canadian Forces?

Also,  because you were asking about JTACs in the CF; you are aware that you may not be a JTAC at the end of a 4 year TACP contract? No doubt, a TACP/ROMAD will get some great experience and training in their first 4 years. However, JTAC qualification may or may not be something you get in that time frame.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 19:06:57 by -Skeletor- »

Offline BenFG

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, 19:16:24 »
I am indeed a U.S citizen.  I joined the USAF for a multitude of reasons, mainly to be an operator regardless of the flag on my shoulder. I love both my countries but I had to pursue the opportunity presented to me. I wanted a chance to deploy at a younger age and get operational experience rather then go  to college and drink away my 20s.

Although not guaranteed it is possible to get my jtac quals before my enlistment is up, fingers crossed I don't get hurt or caught up with the law. With the war winding down it's mostly a waiting game until I make SrA to get a school slot.

On a side note they are trying to put JTAC and JFO into the pipeline to expedite the wait.

Offline paulc87

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2018, 20:26:47 »
Hi everyone,
first let me say, I have searched this website and others and I haven't been able to find much specifically, but if this has already been addressed, I apologize and will not ask again.

Background: I'm a dual US-Canadian citizen. Born/raised in the states, married my college sweetheart who is Canadian. Served 8 years in the US military as a commissioned officer. Moved to Canada about a decade ago for my wife's career. Became a naturalized Canadian citizen recently and have been considering joining a local reserve unit (enlisted or officer, don't care) or the cadets as a CIC officer just to get involved again because I miss the camaraderie and discipline. No plans to ever go full time again or make this a career.

My questions are: Is there anyone else on here who has a similar background to me and has successfully joined the reserves with prior US military service? If so, was your prior service an impediment in any way? I'm debating whether to try joining. All I have as proof of my prior service is my DD-214 (which includes an honourable discharge and a clean record with several personal/service related awards) that I received when I was discharged over ten years ago. I have not kept in touch with any supervisors and at this point I'm pretty sure my previous CO's are all retired anyway. I certainly can provide references for some of the subordinates I served with, but I haven't kept in touch with my old supervisors. I have no idea how complicated this would be in terms of what the CAF might want beyond my DD-214, old US military references, my old US military medical files, etc. and whether this whole thing would just be a can of worms or whether I'm making this out to be more complicated than it will be.

If there is anyone on here who has gone through this I'd be much obliged to read about your experience joining.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2018, 20:53:22 »
Is there anyone else on here who has a similar background to me and has successfully joined the reserves with prior US military service?

For reference to this discussion,

Prior U.S military service transfer?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=111445.0

Reply #305

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them 
https://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,18494.msg914640.html
18 pages,

etc...

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2018, 20:54:21 »
Hi everyone,
first let me say, I have searched this website and others and I haven't been able to find much specifically, but if this has already been addressed, I apologize and will not ask again.

Background: I'm a dual US-Canadian citizen. Born/raised in the states, married my college sweetheart who is Canadian. Served 8 years in the US military as a commissioned officer. Moved to Canada about a decade ago for my wife's career. Became a naturalized Canadian citizen recently and have been considering joining a local reserve unit (enlisted or officer, don't care) or the cadets as a CIC officer just to get involved again because I miss the camaraderie and discipline. No plans to ever go full time again or make this a career.

My questions are: Is there anyone else on here who has a similar background to me and has successfully joined the reserves with prior US military service? If so, was your prior service an impediment in any way? I'm debating whether to try joining. All I have as proof of my prior service is my DD-214 (which includes an honourable discharge and a clean record with several personal/service related awards) that I received when I was discharged over ten years ago. I have not kept in touch with any supervisors and at this point I'm pretty sure my previous CO's are all retired anyway. I certainly can provide references for some of the subordinates I served with, but I haven't kept in touch with my old supervisors. I have no idea how complicated this would be in terms of what the CAF might want beyond my DD-214, old US military references, my old US military medical files, etc. and whether this whole thing would just be a can of worms or whether I'm making this out to be more complicated than it will be.

If there is anyone on here who has gone through this I'd be much obliged to read about your experience joining.

I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good advice on here, but I also suggest that you go into your local CAF Recruiting office and ask them. They're always up to date on what is, and isn't, possible.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline paulc87

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2018, 21:03:28 »
For reference to this discussion,

Prior U.S military service transfer?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=111445.0

Reply #305

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them 
https://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,18494.msg914640.html
18 pages,

etc...

Thanks, I did see these; I was trying to understand more specifically about the background process for anyone else like me who has US mil service but has been out as long as I have. I didn't see much in those threads answering my specific questions but I really do appreciate the references.

Offline paulc87

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2018, 21:08:42 »
I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good advice on here, but I also suggest that you go into your local CAF Recruiting office and ask them. They're always up to date on what is, and isn't, possible.

Understood, thank you. I did contact a local reserve unit and even went to the local armoury during a drill night. The recruiter there was very busy and we didn't talk much but I had some great conversations with some of the reservists. At the moment, I'm out of town for my job and not near an office, so I thought I'd ask my questions on here in case there are any other Americans like me who have done this.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2018, 21:18:32 »
I really do appreciate the references.

Good. Here is another,

AMERICAN INTERESTED IN CANADIAN ARMY 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=13198.0
2 pages.

As mentioned, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Offline paulc87

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2018, 00:25:01 »
Good. Here is another,

AMERICAN INTERESTED IN CANADIAN ARMY 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=13198.0
2 pages.

As mentioned, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Great. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm already a Canadian citizen and have been for about 5 years. I'm not asking whether Americans can join the Canadian military. I was just looking for any Americans on here who might have prior US military experience before they joined the Canadian Forces. I wanted to know what their experiences were. This thread you've merged my message into, like the previous one, was not what I was asking. I mean no disrespect but can I please have my original post back as a stand alone thread? So far there is no other post/thread that applies specifically to what I've been asking.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2018, 08:37:12 »
For a person from another country they must reside in the US with a green card then go to a recruiting station. The Army just announced that they missed their quota. If you meet the requirements join the USAF or USN and learn a trade.If you go in the Army you would be going to Afghanistan at some point.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/eligibility-categories
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:40:46 by tomahawk6 »

Offline LogOLife

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 09:45:38 »
For a person from another country they must reside in the US with a green card then go to a recruiting station. The Army just announced that they missed their quota. If you meet the requirements join the USAF or USN and learn a trade.If you go in the Army you would be going to Afghanistan at some point.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/eligibility-categories

I think you misread the post.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 10:19:29 »
The father of a peer of mine did a tour in Vietnam and then joined the CAF sometime in the 70s or 80s.  He went on to serve in the PPCLI reaching MWO I think.

Not sure what if any qualifications he was granted to carry over, or awards and declarations as well.

I have also served with a good number of UK expats, so it's not terribly uncommon. 

To get the goods on the actual facts and process though I highly suggest you go to your local CFRC or call them.  I am not and have never been a recruiter so I dont feel I can honestly give you any advice.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way