Author Topic: GDLS unveils new light tank for US army  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
Re: GDLS unveils new light tank for US army
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2020, 18:38:33 »
...Long live MDO.

“A rose by any other name...”  ;D

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2020, 18:47:02 »
I enjoy how they talk about operating in a Chinese or Russian Anti-Access/Area Denial (AAAD). Seems to be the latest jargon to try and get something through Congress or shoot down some other Service's program.

Let's say we accept that premise - how do you get those things into the theatre if the AAAD is so good? So you can get a C17 in there with these things, but nothing else?  :orly:

Don't discount the role of ego in pushing this type of operational capability. Everyone wants to pretend they're capable of leading 'Normandy 2.0' ...

We were pretty clear that, even though we had a big, bad Airborne Brigade, we wouldn't be trying anything fancy anywhere other than a 3rd World scenario. And even then, the whole 'controlling the airfield footprint' thing was hugely important.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 19:25:55 »
What i see a small AFV offering is protected radio comms and surveillance equipment. going by what D&B is saying grabbing and holding an airfield would need a light AFV to provide DF support to take out technical's, APC's and RPG teams. Mortars to provide firesupport  mounted and/or emplaced. Weight and space saved equals more fuel, ammunition, food and water delivered, which is likley more important than a slightly better light tank.

I struggle to see what value all this money spent brings over a upgraded Walker Bulldog or upgraded Scorpion each fitted with a 90mm LP gun.   

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2020, 19:56:22 »
What i see a small AFV offering is protected radio comms and surveillance equipment. going by what D&B is saying grabbing and holding an airfield would need a light AFV to provide DF support to take out technical's, APC's and RPG teams. Mortars to provide firesupport  mounted and/or emplaced. Weight and space saved equals more fuel, ammunition, food and water delivered, which is likley more important than a slightly better light tank.

I struggle to see what value all this money spent brings over a upgraded Walker Bulldog or upgraded Scorpion each fitted with a 90mm LP gun.   

Exactly.

The light tanks brought II/TI and other surveillance tools, comms, and a rapid, all terrain, direct fire capability to the party. And when you add in the mortars, guns, engineers and air support, it makes for a pretty capable package.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2020, 21:08:16 »

If you're going to go small for airborne/air-mobile ops , then go small.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZvVEJ-IOuc
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2020, 21:41:32 »
They are good for all the roles except direct fire. Hell a stripped down Leopard 1 offers pretty much everything you want for about 40 tons.

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2020, 21:50:55 »
Or a CV 90.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2020, 22:09:35 »
Don't discount the role of ego in pushing this type of operational capability. Everyone wants to pretend they're capable of leading 'Normandy 2.0' ...

We were pretty clear that, even though we had a big, bad Airborne Brigade, we wouldn't be trying anything fancy anywhere other than a 3rd World scenario. And even then, the whole 'controlling the airfield footprint' thing was hugely important.

I have Tootle's book, Danger Close about 3 Para's entry into Helmand. Even the 3rd World can be challenging if you've got very little with you.

;D
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2020, 23:41:26 »
I have Tootle's book, Danger Close about 3 Para's entry into Helmand. Even the 3rd World can be challenging if you've got very little with you.

;D

Apparently it can also be challenging if you bite off way more then you can chew :)

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2020, 01:11:43 »