Author Topic: Squad Weapon A Big Hit  (Read 1088 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Squad Weapon A Big Hit
« on: May 14, 2020, 21:45:34 »
SOCOM loves the new 6.8mm squad automatic weapon that is being fielded to Regular Army infantry units.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/army-next-generation-squad-weapon-130736225.html

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Squad Weapon A Big Hit
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 23:07:15 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7MV0H8235o

The above video gives a break down of the US Army's NGWS progam to replace the M16, M4 and and M249 SAW family's. This program has huge implications for NATO and canada because it is a 6.5mm round. If this program reaches full production you will likely see a push from the US for NATO to adopt the 6.5mm to standardize everything. Given our proximity to the US and our close relationship, it is entirely possibly we are also looking at our next gen weapons as well.

Textron's bid looks complicated as hell and that 3D model, as a weapons tech gives me a head ache with the firing mechanism which is designed for telescopic ammunition.

General Dynamics's polymer cases I love in weight savings and in theory you could colour code the polymer for quick ammo identification, not 100% sold on bullpup but it does save weight and make the weapons more compact.

Sig Sauer: Reciprocating barrel on the LMG I would love to get me hands on to see how it works to in the video, Sig claims the recoil of this LMG is about as much as a M16, trade off is a lower rate of fire. They are also offering a .338 MMG to replace the M240B. The Steel/brass hybrid ammo I'd like to see the data on, to see how it compares to the other two, particularly in muzzle velocity and stopping power.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 23:17:00 »
Per the linked article and caliber. But I agree that the US might press NATO to adapt the 6.8 mm round.

"We are an enthusiastic supporter of the Army's 6.8mm Next Generation Squad Weapons," Col. Joel Babbitt, of Program Executive Officer Special Operations

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 11:01:40 »
Per the linked article and caliber. But I agree that the US might press NATO to adapt the 6.8 mm round.

Even if this new 6.8 round is adopted as a NATO standard, that doesn’t mean that every NATO member will switch at once, or even at all. Germany didn’t switch from 7.62 to 5.56 until the late 90’s, and Greece and Turkey are still using 7.62 in their standard issue rifles.

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:06:17 »
Even if this new 6.8 round is adopted as a NATO standard, that doesn’t mean that every NATO member will switch at once, or even at all. Germany didn’t switch from 7.62 to 5.56 until the late 90’s, and Greece and Turkey are still using 7.62 in their standard issue rifles.
Yes but those are also standardized calibers, what if the US goes ahead with the Sig bid and replaces the 240B with a .338 as well?, if the largest army in NATO dropped 5.56mm and 7.62mm there would be implications for the alliance over the following decades.
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 22:49:15 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GC94SexkBg

new interview with the head of the program for the US army next gen weapons program

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 00:23:53 »

Yes but those are also standardized calibers, what if the US goes ahead with the Sig bid and replaces the 240B with a .338 as well?, if the largest army in NATO dropped 5.56mm and 7.62mm there would be implications for the alliance over the following decades.

I think that you are both right. Adding the 6.8 in as a NATO standard does not delete either the 5.56 or the 7.62 standards. The "standards" for those rounds will remain so that any of the 5.56 or 7.62 from any one NATO nation will work with another's weapons.

When the US adopts a certain 6.8 for itself (and right now there are some very different 6.8 cartridges in the running), however, it will not automatically create a new 6.8 standard for NATO. Individual nations will have to determine if they wish to adopt and intermediate calibre themselves and, if they do, whether that will be the US 6.8. If enough folks sign on for that then the US cartridge may very well be adopted as a future NATO standard. That's not guaranteed but if the US goes in whole-hog then that will definitely be a significant influencing factor.

I don't doubt that the 5.56 and the 7.62 will be around for a very long time yet if for no other reason there are still (and will be for decades to come) millions and millions of weapons using these calibres throughout the world.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 09:03:40 »

We already have an amazing array of ball/ grenade type ammo at the section and platoon level compared to 30 years ago.

I don't think one more ammo nature (and mag fed vs. belt fed is a different type of ammo even of it's the same calibre) will make much of a difference to the poor Log people in our supply chain who need to feed our various pedantic, no doubt video game fuelled small arms fantasies.

Now, if we're taking NATO artillery, let's get busy on that 'big ticket item' instead...
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon