Author Topic: Ft Bliss Blue on Blue  (Read 854 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Ft Bliss Blue on Blue
« on: July 28, 2020, 00:23:52 »
Errant tank round wounded a soldier during a live fire exercise.

https://www.stripes.com/blogs/from-the-archives/army-investigating-after-one-tank-fires-on-another-at-fort-bliss-injuring-one-soldier-1.639030

WASHINGTON — A Fort Bliss soldier was injured last week when his tank was struck by an errant round fired by another tank during a live-fire exercise on the southwestern Texas installation, Army officials said Monday.

The soldier suffered injuries that were not considered life-threatening and had been released from the hospital by Monday, said Lt. Col. Lindsey Elder, a spokeswoman for Fort Bliss’ 1st Armored Division.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Ft Bliss Blue on Blue
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 19:32:49 »
In an update the incident was between 2 Abrams at 2600m using a training round.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-army-m1a2-abrams-tank-203000395.html

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 19:59:48 »
I'm really glad the guy is okay.  Really sucks to lose people, especially in random freak training accidents that aren't anybody's fault. 
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 21:09:57 »
I have seen enough training  exercises go pear shaped and then the witch hunt begins because there must be a fall guy. 8)

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 12:05:36 »
I have seen enough training  exercises go pear shaped and then the witch hunt begins because there must be a fall guy. 8)

Not unique to American forces, either. Canada has had a number of them as well, sadly.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 12:42:44 »
Not unique to American forces, either. Canada has had a number of them as well, sadly.

Yup, dude I know down the street got lit up by a C9 on a night time live fire attack. Ended up med releasing, and the guy on the gun was court martialed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 13:04:24 by Brihard »
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 15:04:53 »

In an almost 42 year career I had a number of close calls on training ranges.  They are split about 75%/20%/5% US/CAF/Other nations ranges.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 21:29:11 »

Buddy of mine was fragged and nearly killed in Suffield on EX COX’S FOLLY when someone (not engineers) decided to BIP a dud about 200 yds from where we were parked.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats