Author Topic: Former counterterrorism chief: Trump defeat may prompt right-wing terror attacks  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
I remember when motorcycle "enthusiasts" wanted military members. (Some) MPs were suspicious of military members who owned hogs or hung around civilian hog owners.
My first section commander in the Reg F was a proud, card carrying member of the HA.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
The concept of the right winger being the robust individualist standing up for his rights against an oppressive regime is a myth that right wingers tell each other to make themselves feel good about themselves.

There are just as many "individualists" amongst the Antifa rabble that you so detest.

What that "individualism" in fact is is an element of the "me" generation that bridges all sides of society. People who feel that society's laws or mores do not apply to them when it's inconvenient to them. They pick out those aspects of the social fabric that they want and they rail out against those that they don't like. They act out on whatever issues drive them at the moment and have little regard for the rights of others.

We're not talking about the mass of the population that lives peacefully in the centre but who lean left or right on various issues. We're not talking about the Marlboro man who just wants to live peacefully by himself in his cabin in the woods in upstate Idaho here. We're talking about a group of outsiders with radical beliefs for whom violence is an accepted or acceptable way of expressing themselves. They exist on both fringes although, for the time being, the larger number exist on the extreme right (at least based on the statistics coming out of virtually every police force in the western world)

:cheers:

My territory was Northern BC and the Yukon, the individualistic persons were abundant up there and generally wanted to left alone. As I represented the Feds, they were none to pleased to see me, but generally with respectful conversation, I could get my message across and help them map out a solution that required minimal further interactions with the likes of me. Sometimes we could even have a cup of coffee as well. If you come in those places with a burr up your arse with how important you or your work is and try to show your authority over them, it's not going to end well. Not everyone is going to respond to the nice approach, but it's a good place to start.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
There was a certain person in The RCR in the 80s that I had a passing acquaintance with who made no secret of the fact he was hooked up and could make bad things happen to people he took a dislike to. Ended up zooming up the ranks pretty quickly, strangely enough.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
>The concept of the right winger being the robust individualist standing up for his rights against an oppressive regime is a myth that right wingers tell each other to make themselves feel good about themselves.

That's not what I meant.  The media default for initial speculation regarding violence by apparent lone wolves or fringe groups is "right-wing extremist", until social media posts or other evidence surfaces which demonstrates progressive leanings if not outright political affiliations and endorsements.  The political left tries to exclude such people by assertion/definition: racists can't be leftists, misogynists can't be leftists, etc.  There are only two wings, so those people must be right-wing.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Actually there are two wings one that supports Trump and the other are composed of Never Trumpers/Rhinos.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
Actually there are two wings one that supports Trump and the other are composed of Never Trumpers/Rhinos.

Hold on - so in your view, if you don't support the current President and are a member of the Republican Party (or support the GOP) then you're a RINO? 

It's possible to support the views of the party (GOP, Dems, whatever) but not the leader of said party. 
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
Hold on - so in your view, if you don't support the current President and are a member of the Republican Party (or support the GOP) then you're a RINO? 

It's possible to support the views of the party (GOP, Dems, whatever) but not the leader figurehead of said party.

FTFY

;D
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline RangerRay

• Rate Post
  • Kloshe Nanitch
American politics has become just like Canadian politics where one now has to blindly follow the leader, no matter how toxic the leader is.
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
There was a certain person in The RCR in the 80s that I had a passing acquaintance with who made no secret of the fact he was hooked up and could make bad things happen to people he took a dislike to. Ended up zooming up the ranks pretty quickly, strangely enough.

I'm quite sure you're thinking of a close associate of my section commander.  He was a MWO before his career came to a halt?
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
I'm quite sure you're thinking of a close associate of my section commander.  He was a MWO before his career came to a halt?

If it came to a halt rather abruptly, then most likely yes. First name rhymes with Sled.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Optio

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target

This will certainly reinforce certain thoughts on right wing terrorism in the US.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/us/kenosha-wisconsin-wednesday-shooting/index.html

https://www.foxnews.com/us/jacob-blake-kenosha-wisconsin-protest-shooting-militia

A video I saw showed at least two people shot, one dead, while trying to jump on/take the gun from a male with a rifle on the ground. That said, I don’t know what happened prior to that. It could be the shooter was defending himself against assault; it could be people were trying to stop/arrest someone who had already used force unlawfully. Either way, his photo is out everywhere, so his life is pretty screwed regardless of the legality or illegality of the shooting.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Vigilantism isn't terrorism.

Despair is a sin.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Vigilantism isn't terrorism.

Doesn’t matter.  The militia group is what they are focusing on.  The media is already going route. Right wing militia groups taking matters into their own hands. 

I’m not disagreeing with you but it was just a matter of time before someone got shot at these protest. 
Optio

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
It matters because there will be more vigilantism if authorities continue to decline to exercise the powers that were delegated to them.  And it won't do to try and push it off as "terrorism".  To describe people defending themselves or their homes or their businesses (their "property") - righteously or mistakenly - as terrorists is to incite them (and others) to vote for the politicians who stand against the disorder.  How badly do people want to unseat Trump?  Badly enough to swallow some of their self-indulgent satisfaction at watching the ongoing temper tantrum?  Badly enough to take the media to task if the media start playing word games in order to try and score political points?

Vigilantism must, like any problem, be correctly identified to be fixed.  And the fix for vigilantism is government-imposed order.

Despair is a sin.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Regarding same- a 17 year old male has been arrested and charged with first degree intentional homicide. Not sure how many counts of same. Once we get a sense of which specific shooting(s) he’s charged with, that will be indicative.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
I understood that he was part of a group that was guarding property and one person he shot was holding a gun, another may have been using a skateboard as a weapon. As video of the incident is collected, it may be difficult to prosecute for murder and likely his lawyer will claim self-defense.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
It matters because there will be more vigilantism if authorities continue to decline to exercise the powers that were delegated to them.  And it won't do to try and push it off as "terrorism".  To describe people defending themselves or their homes or their businesses (their "property") - righteously or mistakenly - as terrorists is to incite them (and others) to vote for the politicians who stand against the disorder.  How badly do people want to unseat Trump?  Badly enough to swallow some of their self-indulgent satisfaction at watching the ongoing temper tantrum?  Badly enough to take the media to task if the media start playing word games in order to try and score political points?

Vigilantism must, like any problem, be correctly identified to be fixed.  And the fix for vigilantism is government-imposed order.

All good points.  Interesting that it seems that he cane to protect “his” property and business from out of state .  He came from Illinois. 

Wisconsin is an open carry state.  What powers to the authorities have to stop this sort of vigilantism? People are free to walk around with guns and stand at public places like gas stations and such.  So how does one stop that when the laws allow it.
Optio

Offline LittleBlackDevil

• Rate Post
  • Hostium acie nominati
Do you have a source for that?

I don't think there are official sources willing to admit or consider the left as dangerous, despite the evidence we can see with our own eyes by following what's going on in current events.

For political reasons, I suspect, law enforcement does not consider the rioting and looting going on in many large U.S. cities to be a problem.

Yet they do media releases warning us about the "far right terror". If the far right is so dangerous, how come the U.S. didn't have the sorts of civil unrest it's experiencing now when Obama was elected or during his two terms? I recall dire warning of white supremacist violence if Obama won a second term. He did, nothing happened. Also, the white supremacists small numbers and pathetic stupidity at Charlottesville is evidence to me that these guys couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag and the threat is overblown.

Similarly, if Biden wins I bet nothing happens. Whereas if Trump wins I think we haven't seen anything yet.

The problem is that all of this stuff has become so politicized it is hobbling law enforcement. They're not allowed to acknowledge any threat from the left because that will be decried as racist or crazy conspiracy theorism.

Offline QV

• Rate Post
More and more people are seeing it that way.

Offline LittleBlackDevil

• Rate Post
  • Hostium acie nominati
All good points.  Interesting that it seems that he cane to protect “his” property and business from out of state .  He came from Illinois. 

Wisconsin is an open carry state.  What powers to the authorities have to stop this sort of vigilantism? People are free to walk around with guns and stand at public places like gas stations and such.  So how does one stop that when the laws allow it.

If authorities CEASE "to decline to exercise the powers that were delegated to them" the vigilantism will disappear.

Authorities don't need to arrest the vigilantes and they probably can't stop them all. But if they start enforcing the law again and restore peoples' trust that in the authorities and belief that law and order has been restored, you won't see people walking around with ARs just like you didn't see them doing that before the rioting and looting started with (near) impunity.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
For an informed opinion,

From the Original Post,

Former counterterrorism chief: Trump defeat may prompt right-wing terror attacks

Sean D. Naylor •National Security Correspondent
August 18, 2020, 3:09 PM GMT-4•10 mins read
https://news.yahoo.com/former-counterterror-chief-trump-defeat-may-prompt-rightwing-terror-attacks-190913288.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

The former head of the National Counterterrorism Center said he would not be surprised if right-wing domestic terrorist groups stage attacks in the United States around this November’s presidential election.

“It certainly wouldn’t surprise me, particularly if the administration loses,” said Russ Travers, who was the center’s acting director when he was fired by President Trump’s hand-picked acting director of national intelligence.

Trump, who is behind in all national polls, has repeatedly claimed that the expected widespread use of mail-in ballots during a national pandemic will lead to “massive fraud and abuse” and an election result that is “rigged” against him. “The political rhetoric is such that you could very easily see some backlash” from white supremacist or other right-wing terror groups, Travers said.

Travers is not alone in his assessment. An Aug. 17 Department of Homeland Security analysis also warns of possible election-related attacks. “We assess ideologically-motivated violent extremists and other violent actors could quickly mobilize to threaten or engage in violence against election or campaign-related targets in response to perceived partisan and policy-based grievances,” says the document, which was obtained by Yahoo News.

Despite Trump’s declared intent to designate the left-wing activist movement known as antifa as a domestic terror organization, the threat from right-wing groups dwarfs that of their left-wing counterparts in the United States, according to Travers.

More at link

In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
I must be a real simple idiot.

For months I have seen the radical left beat people, burn cars, riot in the streets, attempt to take over part of a city (with multiple shootings involved), loot, severely injure and even kill people (including black people, way to stand up for them), burn down buildings, the list goes on and on.

The alleged far right? not much news I see, really pales in comparison to the other side.

Is this hidden far right threat just like that allegation of the kid with a red MAGA hat accused of racism towards natives (who CNN has now had top pay up and made him filthy rich for false accusations) or similar to our hijab cutting incident?

I am not saying their are not racist or white supremacist movements in the USA or even here, but from what I see on the news (all sources) the antifa/radical left is way more prevalent. IMO, antifa is the modern brown shirt movement.
M'eh

Offline Bread Guy

• Bread Baker & Info Curator (still learning @ both)
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
... Is this hidden far right threat just like that allegation of the kid with a red MAGA hat accused of racism towards natives (who CNN has now had top pay up and made him filthy rich for false accusations) or similar to our hijab cutting incident? ...
You're right about how prevalent left-wing protest & vandalism is -- and to those who say "it's only a few who are idiots breaking s**t and being violent", well, as someone smarter than me said, you accept the standard you walk by -- but that doesn't mean the right-wing dial setting is zero. 

How many Antifa can you spot in these pictures of masked, armed protesters very directly pressuring legislators politically via threat of violence?

Sources of photos here, here & here.

OP edited to fix duplicate photo
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:39:33 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Quote from: milnews.ca

How many Antifa can you spot in these pictures of masked, armed protesters very directly pressuring legislators politically via threat of violence?

Thats easy. None because the windows aren't smashed and nothing is on fire  ;D
There are no wolves on Fenris