Author Topic: MEC no longer in our hands  (Read 1875 times)

Online Weinie

• Rate Post
MEC no longer in our hands
« on: September 14, 2020, 22:34:12 »
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
Re: MEC no longer in our hands
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 22:41:10 »
Maybe they will suddenly remember that they are an outdoor retail store and not an arm of the Green Party of Canada...

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 22:52:27 »
Maybe they will suddenly remember that they are an outdoor retail store and not an arm of the Green Party of Canada...

Bingo.

They lost me, and most other non-mall oriented hikers, when they ditched the mountain logo for the Black Box, brought in bikes and yoga mats, and stopped offering a good selection of decently priced, durable, mountaineering gear and clothes.

MEC, meet Karma :)
“To stand on the firing parapet and expose yourself to danger; to stand and fight a thousand miles from home when you're all alone and outnumbered and probably beaten; to spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary.”
— Jerry Pournelle —

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 23:00:02 »
I thought they were really on to something with virtue signalling about MEC members in the outdoors being too rich and white.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Online Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 23:00:23 »

Might be enlightening (and profitable) for them when a "capitalist entity" starts driving their business model, sponsorship, and advertising.
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 23:12:39 »
Bingo.

They lost me, and most other non-mall oriented hikers, when they ditched the mountain logo for the Black Box, brought in bikes and yoga mats, and stopped offering a good selection of decently priced, durable, mountaineering gear and clothes.

MEC, meet Karma :)

There is nothing wring with expanding your Product line and customer base, but you better not alienate your core customers while doing so.

Offline quadrapiper

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 23:32:16 »
Never minded the hippies. The athleisure/"lifestyle" junk taking over floor space was bloody annoying.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 23:45:48 »
Meh.  I knew they weren’t the real thing because they don’t carry kettlebells.

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 07:54:43 »
Maybe REI will start making a presence in Canada. I visted one of their stores and it seemed decent. I would prefer to buy Canadian but that is getting hard to do these days. I guess Sails will be my new store.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 07:57:49 »
The MEC in Winnipeg - if there still is one - was situated downtown and parking was very limited. It overpriced everything and customer service wasn't great. Maybe if they relocated to a major mall - Polo Park or St Vital - then maybe more people would shop there.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline kev994

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 08:56:14 »
The MEC in Winnipeg - if there still is one - was situated downtown and parking was very limited. It overpriced everything and customer service wasn't great. Maybe if they relocated to a major mall - Polo Park or St Vital - then maybe more people would shop there.
Still there, has one parking spot but they validate one of the parking garages a couple blocks away.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 13:09:19 »
Some of their MEC-brand items I love(d);  the original Ferreta jacket and pants (I have 2 sets) that were Schoeller dryskin fabric, I loved their (discontinued  :orly:) T1 athletic boxer briefs. 

Mostly the past few years, I've popped in for meal pouches, cannister fuel, and the odd this-and-that if I was close and, more often than not, to grab a few tubes of Hydrobloc or replace expired bearspray.  Most of that stuff I can hit Cabellas for now as well and...with much easier access and parking.  I've become a big fan of 'free shipping', though...

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 20:44:41 »
If you are looking for outdoor equipment/clothing you might want to try Bushcraft Canada: lots of items from Europe/NZ that you don't normally see in Canadian stores.
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 22:22:17 »
Not to mention they seem to be ok with hunting stuff.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 09:07:54 »
MEC to lay off fewer employees than planned, with 1 store to close, new owners say

Mountain Equipment Co-op says it will be letting go of fewer employees than previously planned, with just one store set to close following its takeover by a U.S. private investment firm.

The Vancouver-based company says 85 per cent of its active workforce will remain on the job once the deal closes, up from a minimum of 75 per cent that Kingswood Capital Management Ltd. previously indicated.

MEC had 1,516 employees as of Sept. 7, including 1,143 who were active mostly in B.C. and Ontario, according to a monitor's report when it was under creditor protection.

The report also said it had 197 workers on leave and 176 on layoff.

Kingswood plans to keep 21 of its 22 stores open, up from its original plan for a minimum of 17 stores.

After struggling with sluggish sales, inventory issues and increasing online competition, MEC filed for creditor protection on Sept. 14 and announced its sale to a Canadian subsidiary of Los Angeles-based Kingswood.

'It's really not the same place'
Even before layoff notices were handed out this week, some MEC employees had already decided to leave the company, including Serena Jackson, who resigned from her position as supply chain coordinator last week.

"I don't want to work for an American private equity fund, to be blunt. Every place of work changes a lot, but I've been there for five years and it's really not the same place anymore," Jackson told CBC.

She said she knows a few other employees who've made the same decision since the sale was announced. Right now, she's feeling sad for her colleagues who've lost their jobs in the middle of a pandemic.

"Some of these folks have been around for 10, 20, even 30 years," Jackson said. "I know of at least one person who was on maternity leave who was let go yesterday."

I'd agree with the 'not the same place anymore' aspect.  I first became a member back in the early 2000s and was a frequent visitor to the Halifax store and have been to the Ottawa and Montreal stores as well (loved the Montreal one!).  I bought a lg Mountain Fountain hydration pack in 2003 or so...still going strong.  Spirit 40 daypack...still going strong.  I've looked at the 'newer' MEC models; they don't seem as rugged.  Maybe it's just me but...