Author Topic: Monthly Pay at BMQ / Basic Training [Merged]  (Read 176138 times)

Offline AoD71

• Rate Post
Re: Monthly Pay at BMQ / Basic Training [Merged]
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 16:30:23 »
Don't you have to pay for boarding tho? ???

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2005, 17:49:51 »
Don't you have to pay for boarding tho? ???

I'm presuming you mean Rations and Quarters here, yes you do. There should be plenty of relevant info on this elsewhere on the site, try a quick search.

Then again maybe he means boarding in the Naval sense. Some bean counter at Disneyland on the Rideau taking that nickname too seriously and now telling the NBPs that their job is now a high tech adventure ride a la Pirates of the Caribbean and they have to pay to do it. ::)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline AoD71

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2005, 19:36:02 »
Lol, I guess I meant quarters while you are at Basic and if you decide to live on Base.

Offline Izzie

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 01:04:10 »
I'm going to BMQ on the 4th of February.  I, like most other people, have bills to pay while I'm there and I was wondering if anyone knows when the first payday would be?  I know that I will get paid on the 15th and the 30th, but if I start of the 4th, when will my first one be?  Thx. ???
- Strength is a state of mind -

Online Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2006, 01:09:18 »
Reg Force - Paid at the end of each pay period (IE Paid for the 1st-15th on the 15th, paid for the 16th-30th on the 30th)

Reserve - Paid at the end of the following pay period (IE Paid for the 1st-15th on the 30th, for the 16th-30th on the following 15th.)

The reasoning behind the reserve delay is to allow time for the pay sheets to be entered into the system.

Unless there were any problems with the banking information you provided, assuming you're attending BMQ at St. Jean, you will be paid for the 4th-15th on the 15th. That being said, there may be some problems with your very first pay cheque (Don't quote me either way). If there are however, and ou need to pay bills that can't wait until the problem is corrected on the 30th,  inform your course senior that you need to speak staff concerning a pay-advance, and there shouldn't be any problems (You can quote me on that. If you have bills that absolutely have to be paid, they will sort out any pay problems).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 01:11:54 by Just a Sig Op »

Offline Izzie

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2006, 01:13:59 »
Wonderful.. Thanx a lot!

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2006, 07:42:05 »
If you start on the 4th, you won't be paid until the 30th. Pay drops are done very early in the month, ie your mid month pay will be entered into the system on the 1st or 2nd of the month and you starting on the 4th will be after the mid month pay drop, therefore your first pay will be for the 4th to the 30th, on the 30th of the month.

Clear as mud?
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline 23007

• Rate Post
  • Breakfast of Champions
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2006, 16:07:34 »
When I went through everyone got a pay advance on the first day to cover the expenses of everything we needed to buy from the Canex.
Flying Whirley Birds

Offline Izzie

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2006, 21:47:52 »
But, if u buy and bring everything beforehand, do you need to buy anything at Canex?  Could I just use the money for my bills if I don't need anything?

aesop081

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2006, 21:53:12 »
But, if u buy and bring everything beforehand, do you need to buy anything at Canex?  Could I just use the money for my bills if I don't need anything?

Things have changed over the years but when i went through there were very specific things we had to buy at Canex.  I would be careful when purchassing things before the course.  As for your bills, a little bit of planning on your part would have saved you alot of worries.  You should have ensured that you had money to cover your bills for a short amount of time in case things got fouled up.  This is a lesson that will serve you well in your career, i suggest you make a note of it.

Offline ps

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2006, 09:32:14 »
Hi Izzie,

From what I understand there are some things (specific type of lock for example) that can only be purchased at Canex. I'm sure there are other places, but Canadian Tire or Walmart aren't one of them. I'm planning to have to spend some money on that sort of thing, although I've obtained pretty much everything on 'the list' already.
I'm starting BMQ on the 6th as well, so maybe I'll see you there.

Cheers :cdn:

Offline Sepulchrave

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2006, 17:57:07 »
How much does one get after all deductions including rations?

Offline Mamma Bear

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2006, 10:27:01 »
Well if ur getting there on the 4th of Feb u will be getting a cash advance of 220.00 and good luck with their pay system. I got there in Aug and im married with kids and i still had to pay rations and quarters till the pay got straighten out in NOV...So first few pays were like 440.00 cause they take off ur cash advance....Not its all straightened out and my pay every 2 wks is 910.00 but that is because im married with kids...Some of the ppl from my course went thru hard times not being able to pay their bills on time cause nothing is fast with the military.....Make sure u have all ur important paperwork with u before u head out to ST Jean :cdn:

Offline Zombie

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2006, 20:24:55 »
I am going to buy everything on my kit list before I go, because I figure that's why they they gave me it.  I could not save money before I went,

You just found a good way to save money...if you buy it when you're there you know it's the right thing you're buying, and will avoid buying things twice. Sure there are some things on the list you can buy in advance, but some (like the locks) I would wait for. There's a lot to be said about experience, and advice from those who have it.

Offline Mamma Bear

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2006, 22:14:18 »
 :cdn: well trust me if i were you i would wait....like the combination locks in St jean at the Canex u can buy 3 locks that u will need and they all have the same combo...1 for ur barrack box. 1 for ur green locker and 1 for your gym locker. The Abus lock is also boughten there. Your platoon staff will make u buy things they want in your locker...I ended up rebuying some stuff cause thats what they wanted....So just a few words of advice.... :salute:

Offline Izzie

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2006, 02:47:54 »
Oh yeah, I've just bought exactly what they told me to bring, so hopefully everything'll work out.  Thanks for all of your advice, I will take it with me. ;)

Offline Crisco

• Rate Post
  • I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2007, 15:09:16 »
Over the course of a weekend BMQ would you make as much as you would during a Summer BMQ? Just been curious because I don't wanna be bummed out if my recruiting officer can't slip me in for the summer :D The money would help me get my first car haha so anyways any info would be coool :D
Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2007, 15:47:57 »
You get paid by the day.  A weekend does not equal a whole summer.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Crisco

• Rate Post
  • I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2007, 16:31:30 »
Sweet, tyvm sir. Oh, I'm not to sure if you misunderstood, I ment does the pay for a full weekend BMQ course equal the pay for a full summer BMQ course, like in the end of both BMQs would two people one on each course, have made the same ammount?
Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Offline mysteriousmind

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Hurry...to wait.
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2007, 18:41:03 »
yes it will..you might get less money at the end because since you contract full time is over a moths worth it...you have a few more extra pay day.

at least that is what happenned in our case...

I just finished BMQ and I'm getting 5 more pay day... 2 week end, 2 more day for annual and 1 more day for holiday (which is Monday for Quebec)

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Offline Cat

caffeinated for your safety.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2008, 18:31:18 »
Ok....I know that there's no 100% answer here...but for those of you who are on BMQ or who have just finished BMQ what are you paycheques like on course?

I can see the payscales on DND's website, but I can't find anywhere how much they take off for room and board or anything else.

any rough estimate would be good - both for those who have bills/rent elsewhere and those who don't. I just want to know what I'm setting myself up for financially for the first bit.

Thanks!
"People can be divided into three groups; those who make things happen; those who watch things happen; and those who wonder what happened"

"You, you and you panic; the rest of you, follow me!"

Offline Dog

• Rate Post
  • NOT a bounty hunter.
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 17:04:24 »
Depends on if you are married or not.

When I was training full time, and I was officially common law, Rations and Quarters were not deducted from my pay, since essentially I would be paying them twice when I paid the rent and groceries. That was only applicable if I was married, because I HAD to maintain a residence in Ottawa, because I obviously could not take my wife on course with me (she wouldn't have come anyway, but that's not the point.)
If you aren't married, then Rations and quarters are about 575 a month, IIRC. Whether that's changed in the past 2 years I don't know... but I do know that in BMQ we didn't get paid for the first month of the course, as paperwork needed processing. We were however allowed to make a claim against our pending pay in the interim.
Violence must be eradicated,... kill all the violent people you know.

Offline LoKe

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 01:14:44 »
I realize this topic is considerably old and my question doesn't exactly relate to the original topic, but here we go...

When I start BMQ, I'll be completely broke.  This is fine for me because I don't have any bills/debt to worry about.  My only concern is putting together my kit.  Will the available $220 advance be enough to acquire all pieces of kit from the Canex?

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 01:27:02 »
  Will the available $220 advance be enough to acquire all pieces of kit from the Canex?

You will be issued everything you NEED for your course, other than toiletries. Other stuff thats nice to have (notepads, other junk.) shouldn't set you back too much and your advance should easily cover everything, including your very first military haircut   :)
The people trying to make this world worse, are not taking a day off.

Offline LoKe

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 01:50:23 »
  You will be issued everything you NEED for your course, other than toiletries. Other stuff thats nice to have (notepads, other junk.) shouldn't set you back too much and your advance should easily cover everything, including your very first military haircut   :)
All essentials are provided?  That takes a load off my shoulders.  Thanks a lot!  Also, you mentioned the haircut...would it be preferred that I get my head buzzed and shave clean before getting there, or do it when I arrive so that I'm sure to do it right?