Author Topic: Monthly Pay at BMQ / Basic Training [Merged]  (Read 176137 times)

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
Re: Monthly Pay at BMQ / Basic Training [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2008, 01:53:14 »
All essentials are provided? 

Uniforms and kit, food, and a roof over your head, yup. Upon further recollection, in addition to toiletries, you need to buy some padlocks and a shoe shine kit, once again, the advance covers it all.
The people trying to make this world worse, are not taking a day off.

Offline Solmyr

• Rate Post
Net pay during Basic.
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2008, 00:55:20 »

Hello all,

I will be heading to St. Jean on April 19th and am trying to make sure my finances will be good while I'm there. Could someone who has recently been through BMQ tell me how much pay after deductions they received (single, not married)?  I tried doing a few different searches and found some older numbers, but I'm hoping for something more up to date.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Rugby11

• Rate Post
Re: Net pay during Basic.
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2008, 13:49:44 »
Hey there Solmyr , when i was in St. Jean , i am single, my net pay after deductions every two weeks is about $650 or so around that number, but if you have a house or place ur paying rent or if your married, your possible looking at another $400 on top of that cause of less deductions...dont quote me on the extra $400, but if your single without a place at home and that, your looking at getting the $650..every two weeks...hope this helps you.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2008, 14:01:36 »
..every two weeks...

CF personnel are not paid every two weeks, we are paid twice a month, on the 15th (or last working day prior to that date) and the last working day of the month.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline RandomAVS

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2008, 14:04:55 »
My brother in law, after the military equivalent of room and board were taken out, earned in the vicinity of $750-$800 he said. If your married or have dependants (common-law, children, etc) let them know as you don't have that taken out of your pay and I'm pretty sure you also get a small allowance for this.

I talked to one of his fellow trainees and he said that he had a wife and 2 children and after taxes he was earning a bit over $1000 per pay in basic.

niceasdrhuxtable

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2008, 16:31:43 »
Why are recruits paid different amounts for doing the same amount of work?

Recruits who are married or have children are expected to maintain their place of residence while they are away at basic training. Since they are maintaining a separate residence, the Crown assumes the cost of their military provided room and board.

It's not a practise I really agree with but then again I haven't received any calls from the CDS lately asking for my opinion on policy.

Offline punkd

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2008, 17:14:57 »
It's not a practise I really agree with but then again I haven't received any calls from the CDS lately asking for my opinion on policy.

Would you really want to be paying R&Q while away on course for a couple months, as well as paying all your normal bills back home and supporting a wife and kids?
R&Q right now is in the area of $500. Does that sound so great to someone making 650ish two times a month. I am quite happy having my R&Q covered, as well as TD when I am away from home.
If saving the army money is a concern, im sure you and me both could think of a few other things to change... :)

(R&Q is Rations & Quarters. For those new to the military get used to abbreviations and acronyms  :))

Offline CBshadow

• Rate Post
  • 龍神
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 17:42:25 »
Whats the average amount of food you receive with rations(maybe best measurement in pounds) ...is it buffet style or what, because I eat a lot of food......a lot

500 a month is still minimal in respectable terms during bmq considering rent anywhere is more than that and food would be at least another 200 a month to eat properly if you were living the civvy life.

Offline punkd

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2008, 17:46:16 »
Whats the average amount of food you receive with rations(maybe best measurement in pounds) ...is it buffet style or what, because I eat a lot of food......a lot

500 a month is still minimal in respectable terms during bmq considering rent anywhere is more than that and food would be at least another 200 a month to eat properly if you were living the civvy life.

3 meals a day. Buffett style. Eat as much as you want.

Your room is somewhere around $100 a month.. and you pay around $400 to eat. (Give or take on either, I just know its around to $500 a month)
Yes, this is still alot cheaper than paying rent + groceries. My point was paying rent + groceries (for family back home) on top of paying R&Q. Thats where it would get expensive.

Offline CBshadow

• Rate Post
  • 龍神
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2008, 17:59:35 »
3 meals a day. Buffett style. Eat as much as you want.

Your room is somewhere around $100 a month.. and you pay around $400 to eat. (Give or take on either, I just know its around to $500 a month)
Yes, this is still alot cheaper than paying rent + groceries. My point was paying rent + groceries (for family back home) on top of paying R&Q. Thats where it would get expensive.

What's cool about that circumstance apparently is that if you bring your marriage certificate/children's birth certificate and leasing agreement/mortgage agreement they'll take off the monthly R&Q fee to subsidize the cost of your other expenses....tis what i've been hearing

Offline punkd

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2008, 18:00:48 »

What's cool about that circumstance apparently is that if you bring your marriage certificate/children's birth certificate and leasing agreement/mortgage agreement they'll take off the monthly R&Q fee to subsidize the cost of your other expenses....tis what i've been hearing

Correct.

Offline GUNS

ARMY.CA coin is back at FMG.

• Rate Post
  • Are the spades dug-in?
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2008, 19:28:37 »
$650.00 twice a month, damn

If memory serves me correctly, I believe I was handed a crisp new $20.00 bill twice a month.(1968)

When I was posted to Valcartier, on pay parade( yes we had to parade for our money) I got $40.00 twice a month.(1969)

1969 was the year Canada introduced the new $20 bill. Which they gave to all the military. Tried to spend it in Quebec City, no one would accept it.

$650.00 twice a month damn.
When I do right, no one remembers.
When I do wrong, no one forgets.

Offline RandomAVS

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2008, 19:43:27 »
It's more than $650 for married and single, I just talked to my brother in law and he confirmed it. He was getting just over $750. This was as of December/Jan when he graduated Basic, since then he's gotten a slight raise and it's over $800. That is AFTER R&Q.

Offline Dolphado

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • OH NO my geekiness is showing!! HAHA
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2008, 23:06:19 »
I don't think $650.00 sounds right,  thats what I used to make a teletech in my town , after deductions when I was working there and I was getting $10.00 an hour for 8 hours a day.  I think it might be a little bit more then that, depending on how you have your deductions, such as taxes etc, set up. And well if it is right I'd much rather be payed to do something I will enjoy rather then answer people questions about they're phones all day. My favorite is still,

"I just got my phone and it won't turn on!",
"Did you charge the battery when you took it out of the package sir?"
"Oh no I didn't, thank you!"
LOL happens all the time!!

Offline Solmyr

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2008, 23:56:07 »
Thank you RTaylor and everyone else who replied. This gives me a good idea of how to budget my pay.

One more question, if I may. I fly out April 19th and start training on the 21st. Technically my first pay should be the 30th, but should if be more realistic of me to expect my first to be on May 15th, due to administration/paperwork processing period?

Thanks again.

Offline RandomAVS

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2008, 00:00:09 »
You'll recieve an advance on your 1st pay, I think $200 or $250 or so, to get gear and other stuff that you may still require (you're taken to the Canex for stuff in the 1st few days).

My best bet is that you'll not see a full check until a few weeks have passed, *but* when I did militia summer training I recieved a full weeks pay for like 2 days of work :)

Call the local CFRC and toss the question at them, they should be able to help.

Offline CBshadow

• Rate Post
  • 龍神
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2008, 00:10:44 »
not a clue somebody's gotta know that one though...good question

Offline C.Murray

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2008, 00:40:50 »
If you want to know the exact numbers, watch the basic-up series. I remember it being in there.

Offline RandomAVS

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2008, 02:02:24 »
Basic Up is from 2006 I think, not recent and hte payscales change from year to year.

Offline KyleM

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2009, 00:39:23 »
I don't think $650.00 sounds right,  thats what I used to make a teletech in my town , after deductions when I was working there and I was getting $10.00 an hour for 8 hours a day.  I think it might be a little bit more then that, depending on how you have your deductions, such as taxes etc, set up. And well if it is right I'd much rather be payed to do something I will enjoy rather then answer people questions about they're phones all day. My favorite is still,

"I just got my phone and it won't turn on!",
"Did you charge the battery when you took it out of the package sir?"
"Oh no I didn't, thank you!"
LOL happens all the time!!

Lol I am currently working at Teletech and planning on starting the process of joining in the summer. I make 701$ every 2 weeks. I assume that is just baisc pay to start while going through training. I assume when your done BMQ it would be over 700 bi-weekly. I mean I am joining because I want to do more with my life then as you said anwsering calls, but it doesnt hurt to make a decent buck doing it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 00:42:28 by KyleM »

aesop081

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2009, 00:45:14 »
Your NET pay will depend on your personal circumstances.

Offline Nauticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2009, 01:16:40 »
$650.00 twice a month, damn

If memory serves me correctly, I believe I was handed a crisp new $20.00 bill twice a month.(1968)

When I was posted to Valcartier, on pay parade( yes we had to parade for our money) I got $40.00 twice a month.(1969)

1969 was the year Canada introduced the new $20 bill. Which they gave to all the military. Tried to spend it in Quebec City, no one would accept it.

$650.00 twice a month damn.
$650 nowadays is like getting paid $20 in 1969. ;)
"Fate guides who will; who won't, it drags."

Offline derael

• Rate Post
  • The True North, Strong and Free
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2009, 15:19:00 »
Could anyone state roughly how much net pay is in the ROTP program?

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2009, 15:21:29 »
Here do the math yourself, current pay tables are located at Directorate of Pay Policy Development
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Big Foot

• Rate Post
  • Muda, mura, and muri everywhere I look...
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2009, 15:50:01 »
Could anyone state roughly how much net pay is in the ROTP program?
It all depends. Are you planning on going civvy U or RMC, things like that. At RMC, I was clearing about $300 every two weeks.
It's not insubordinate if you know exactly where the line is and walk on it but never cross it.