Author Topic: Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)  (Read 211657 times)

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2004, 11:39:00 »
Reading stuff can be interesting.  There is actually a badge for wear on the uniform for the Special Operations Assualter Course. Who knew

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2004, 13:30:00 »
Once well getting petrol I pulled into a Rockdale service stn, which is in a totally ethnic area. The GW2 had just started, and at 182cm, and 100kg, shaven head and in uniform, didnt I cop it from the attendant who claimed  "victory of the desert dwellers", and Saddam would win, etc. I had some of the most dirty looks ever from a bout 12 of them who were in the bldg, so I just smiled, was polite as I could be, paid for my petrol and left.

Pretty sad to be victimised in your own country!

So uniformed personnel in a new world of hatred, beware.

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Lajeunesse

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2004, 13:40:00 »
Thats rediculous

Offline Dano

• Rate Post
    • Star trek fan club
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2004, 14:09:00 »
Ya, when my father was in the Militia in the 70‘s.
Civis would call him a "baby killer"
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Offline portcullisguy

• Rate Post
  • Border Services Officer
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2004, 19:54:00 »
It is totally unacceptable that military pers should have to put up with such verbal abuse by the citizenry, however, thank god we live in a free country where if you wish to express your opinion, however misguided and irrational, you may do so without fear of repression or abuse of power.

That said, never, EVER will I hesitate to wear my uniform with pride while breath exists in my lungs, and whilst Canada remains my home and native land, under my God and my Queen.

I cannot forsee the special security situation that exists in Britain ever happening here, and in any event, I readily accept the potential personal risks (although my tune MIGHT change when the day comes that I have a fmaily to think about).  In Britain it is totally understandable that service pers would be encouraged not to wear uniform in public because of the constant threat of domestic terrorism.  I made the faux pas of writing a letter to my uncle, a retired Lt-Cdr (RN), and addressing him by his proper rank and post nominals.  I later learned that this practice is not encouraged in Britain because of the obvious IRA threat.

However, Canada is an entirely different matter, and I am shocked to hear that Australia suffers from such offensive attitudes towards service personnel.

By god, what exactly are we in the army for if we cannot walk the streets safely of the country we are sworn to defend?

On a related note, I have noticed a lot more US service pers travelling through Pearson airport in uniform than before GW2.  After 9/11, I believe there were restrictions on US mil pers travelling in uniform, but after the war it was a matter of service pride and showing the flag.  Whereas before I‘d only see guys in civvie showing me their mil ID at the customs line, after GW2, I saw plenty of desert "camo fatigues" and good on ‘em.

I‘ve had the lil‘ kids stare and wave at me in uniform, and I found the most appropriate response was to smile and give a brief wave or nod back.  We can‘t make ourselves out to be ogres or disinterested... these might be tomorrow‘s soldiers.

Finally, although I usually go down to the armoury in my PMV, I have on occasion been on transit in uniform, and had to do routine personal business whilein transit (banking, stopping to get things at the store, etc) and wearing the uniform, and I‘ve never had a problem or even heard a distasteful comment.  In fact, a former member of my unit recognized my red tourie and identified himself as an ex-CSM of the 48th.  We had a pleasant conversation and he wished me luck in my future endeavours (I was on my way to CAC ‘03).

I make no apologies for my choice to serve.
portcullisguy

non dormiverit gladius meus - dileas gu brath

48 Highrs

Offline gryphon664

• Rate Post
  • VVV
    • http://ca.geocities.com/imreglaser
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2004, 20:47:00 »
Da_Man, they will tell you at your unit if and when you can wear it and everything, but i know for a fact that there are a few MCpls at RMR that discourage anyone who doesn‘t have their BMQ from wearing their uniform in transit.. you leave it in your locker and put it on when you reach the unit..

Ask MCpl Doucheneau (sp?) about it
Velox Versutus Vigilans!

Per Nuntium Ad Victoriam!

Offline Da_man

• Rate Post
  • Infantry
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2004, 21:58:00 »
Originally posted by gryphon664:
[qb] Da_Man, they will tell you at your unit if and when you can wear it and everything, but i know for a fact that there are a few MCpls at RMR that discourage anyone who doesn‘t have their BMQ from wearing their uniform in transit.. you leave it in your locker and put it on when you reach the unit..

Ask MCpl Doucheneau (sp?) about it [/qb]
How do i iron it if its in my locker?
YOU! No, you. Not You! YOU!

Offline kaspacanada

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2004, 22:06:00 »
Mabey I‘ve never noticed any of the negative looks...but I have never experienced anything like that.  I‘ve had a few retarded saluts, but that‘s not abuse.  That‘s ignorance.  I‘ve never been called a ‘baby‘ killer travelling on public transit in the lower mainland BC, or anyplace here in Sherbrooke, QC.  Must be a Toronto thing eh? (just kidding) But never have I been treated impolitely at an airport, a bus station (well, not in regards to the uniform anyhow) or at a train station.  I am appalled to hear about Australia in this, but am not surprised by the situation in England.  It is a shame that we are treated like this in the same country we are here to defend.  I‘ll bet you‘d never see something like this from the people we‘ve helped - particularly those we helped during the ice storms, manitoba floods and the forest fires.
What's right is a matter of perspective.   If you don't stand up for what is right by yours, then you fade away losing not only the respect of those around you, but your self-respect as well.

Offline chk2fung

• Rate Post
  • Tool
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2004, 22:23:00 »
Da_man, When he says leave your unifom in your locker I believe he is referring to your combats.  You do not iron your combats, unless you want to look like a hologram..
I rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!!!!

jutes85

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2004, 22:37:00 »
 When entering a Base,going through the gate,yes you will wear your head dress and while driving on base you will keep your head dress on!
What if you are on your sport bike and wearing a helmet? Would you wear your uniform on the bike, or put it on once you are on base?

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2004, 13:59:00 »
btw - Im not sure how much bearing it has on this conversation, but given that they are instructed to follow tradition and regulation to the letter (doesn‘t mean they do, they are just expected to) and are subject to more strenuous rules,   first year cadets at RMC are required to wear their uniforms on all business into town. To the corner store, the barber, etc...  

if that is the case, then I highly doubt there exists a regulation forbidding the wearing of a military uniform anywhere. I believe this was a "common sense" idea.

I am curious about weddings, funerals, etc of a non-military nature. Do most service members who up in uniform, or in civilian suits/etc?

I know many RMC students wear their scarlets to important family events or community functions back home, both as a source of pride and to promote RMC and the CF...  do reg force/reserve members also do this?

Offline silentstalker(Banned)

• Banned for Multiple Accounts
  • Banned
  • Rate Post
  • Don't try and run. You will only die tired.
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2005, 20:06:14 »
does anyone know if regular force members are allowed to wear their uniforms in a bar?

Online Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2005, 20:17:28 »
What uniform and under what circumstances?

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2005, 20:19:40 »
i mean they are coming from work and they meet a few people in a bar. lets say any uniform, from service dress to CADPAT.  your thoughts?

Offline SHELLDRAKE!!

• Rate Post
  • BIG GUN GO BOOM
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2005, 20:20:48 »
Unless you are there on a sanctioned military activity and sporting DEU or mess kit, chances are you will be "crucified" if caught.In Petawawa a few years ago, it came down that you could not be wearing combats in the grocery stores past 17:00.Although there is a certain sports bar in Pet where alot of "smokers" are held or liquid lunches that are attended by those in combats.I wouldnt hit whyte ave in Edmonton in uniform though.
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets"-unknown

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2005, 20:23:22 »
it was my understanding that regular force members were allowed unresticted wear in public places

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2005, 20:23:47 »
I'd be changing first to go to any civvy pub, but with an exception of a Mess after hrs. Other than that one could be asking for trouble with all the anti-war sentiment these days.

In my last posting, the unit was near a rather large islamic population, so even if we dipped 'outside the wire' for lunch we changed into PT gear. Post 9-11 also means mininum of 2 pers in mil veh's in public places too, although this has been relaxed lately and prior to my leaving Sydney.

Reg or PRes why someone would want to be in that uniform outside of wrking hours is beyond me.

My 2 cents.

Wes   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 20:28:32 by Wesley H. Allen, CD »
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2005, 20:25:33 »
lol that is true, however they are allowed to wear the uniform any time any place?

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2005, 20:52:43 »
lol that is true, however they are allowed to wear the uniform any time any place?

No. You must be authorized to wear it on leave, can't say with any certainty about the rest of the time, but who would want to wear a uniform to a bar after working in it all day? Other than the mess for TGIF or TGIT depending on what colour your hat is, I've never seen it nor do I know many people that would do it. People stop at places on their way home from work, but that's about the extent of it.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2005, 21:16:29 »
 My experience recently is that the Army is OK with you following the "one stop" rule (making a necessary stop on the way to/from work) or going out to a restaurant while on duty. I do it all the time in CADPAT while travelling around our Brigade area. When we are traveling as a Bde staff team to, say, Regina or Thunder Bay we usually take breakfast and lunch in duty dress, then change into civvies in the evening so we can relax and hoist a few after supper. Going to a civilian premise on military business (say-visiting the police dept to set up joint training, giving a presentation at a school, briefing the Chamber of Commerce, visiting some other Govt Dept, etc) is also generally accepted, although whether you wore CADPAT or DEU would depend on what you were doing. Lots of people also wear duty dress to travel on transit or commercial air. As far as I know, all of these things are common practice in the Army and I have never heard of anybody getting into trouble over them. In Winnipeg the reaction I get from wearing a uniform is either neutral or very positive. I have never gotten a hassle in the 'Peg.

What pisses me to no end is uniformed sacks of shyte who stumble about in public looking like a garbage bag tied in the middle, unkempt, sloppy and with zero military bearing, "life support" inflatable beret, trousers unbloused, etc, etc. These people should be brought to a swift and horrifying end IMHO.

What I would not recommend is the practice of "pubbing" in uniform, which was a big sport when I was a Res soldier in Toronto, esp in the summer we would leave the Armoury ASAP after parade night and hit the local spots as a "pack", usually joined soon after by folks from other units. It was lots of fun at the time, but looking back on it I'm not sure we created a very good impression.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 21:22:02 by pbi »
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2005, 21:19:01 »
What I would not recommend is the practice of "pubbing" in uniform, which was a big sport when I was a Res soldier in Toronto, esp in the summer we would leave the Armoury ASAP after parade night and hit the local spots as a "pack", usually joined soon after by folks from other units. It was lots of fun at the time, but looking back on it I'm not sure we created a very good impression.

Still common.

...and from watching how some of by mates would act when full of fuel, I tend to think you're right.   At times I wore civvies, but the damn haircut would identify me with the two guys on the dance floor who were the ONLY people dancing in the entire establishment.... ^-^
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2005, 21:25:03 »
the two guys on the dance floor who were the ONLY people dancing in the entire establishment

Ahhh, I see. And what type of club was that, again?  >:D

Cheers.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2005, 21:26:19 »
Now you see why I agree with the "poor impression" part of your statement.  :blotto:
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2005, 21:28:20 »
The "brief stopover" rule was part of a CANFORGEN many years ago, was it not?
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2005, 21:29:56 »
R
Now you see why I agree with the "poor impression" part of your statement. :blotto:

Right, then.  Stop that. Disgraceful. Marching smartly off to another thread!

Cheers