Author Topic: Cooks ( merged )  (Read 111599 times)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Cook in the Army or Navy?
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2015, 12:53:43 »
One more:

In the Navy, most of the senior officers you work for are MARS oficers.  In the Army, most of the senior officers you work for are Infantry officers.

...ok, that one's a wash...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2015, 13:03:36 »
I am biased.  To refute my Naval colleague.  In the Army:

Opinions vary,

Army or Navy? - A Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=13535.0

Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2015, 14:47:01 »
One more:

In the Navy, most of the senior officers you work for are MARS oficers.  In the Army, most of the senior officers you work for are Infantry officers.

...ok, that one's a wash...

:rofl:
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Train2Survive

• Rate Post
Cook for the Canadian forces
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2016, 16:25:05 »
They are hiring. But it says they want a high school diploma ( http://www.forces.ca/en/job/cook-80 ). Which is odd because they are far more responsible jobs that only require grade 10. I am currently a cook at 2 places in Vancouver, I am dedicated, hard working and my motivation has led me to go higher up into the company. My employers can advocate on my behalf. Is there any way I can still join with a grade 10? note I do have grade 11 and 12 credits.

Offline Train2Survive

• Rate Post
Re: CF Cooks - general (merged)
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2016, 16:48:29 »
Hello I am currently a cook at 2 restaurants in Vancouver BC. So I have experience, dedication and motivation to succeed in this industry. http://www.forces.ca/en/job/cook-80 it says I need a high school diploma. Some colleges in Canada only require grade 10 for the culinary course. Why is it that I need a diploma to get in as a cook? I can handle bombs and weapons and deal with radar and engineering with only grade 10. Doesn't make much sense, anyway around this?

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2016, 17:14:53 »
Doesn't make much sense, anyway around this?

No, get your GED or pick another trade. Also, in this competitive market, you'll likely be at the bottom of a merit list with only Grade 10. You're also wanted in a US state and banned from traveling there. Sort that out before you apply.

Offline Train2Survive

• Rate Post
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2016, 18:00:40 »
impossible to sort it out..I tried but I have to go back to the states which is an automatic 3 years in prison and a few months in jail.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2016, 18:37:00 »
impossible to sort it out..I tried but I have to go back to the states which is an automatic 3 years in prison and a few months in jail.
Forget about the CAF then. Maybe you can keep being a fry cook with grade 10 as a career.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2016, 05:32:13 »

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that you would never have to travel to the US as a CAF member.  We work a lot with the US Armed Forces and travelling there is almost inevitable.  Being a CAF member won't give you immunity if you're stopped at the border and your name shows up on the computer.

CAF members are not diplomats and we do not automatically receive diplomatic immunity in foreign countries.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline AlphaBravo

Ready, Aye, Ready.

• Rate Post
Waiting for a COOK QL3 course
« Reply #184 on: November 24, 2016, 19:45:39 »
I am a Naval Reservist I have an up to date AVREP, I have BMQ under my belt, 2 Modules of NETP under my belt, and have been parading as a OS BASIC since September. I know that most Boatswains that have open availability have been loaded onto their QL3 courses already, and I am very anxious to start mine, or to even get loaded onto mine.

Does ANYONE know when the next QL3 courses for Cook start (I know likely won't be until the New Year), but I am going absolutely INSANE practically doing nothing at my unit.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 19:48:34 by AlphaBravo »
Ready, Aye, Ready

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Waiting for a COOK QL3 course
« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2016, 20:10:48 »
Man, that 2 month wait for your trade course must have been brutal.

When I was in the 'Mo, career course dates typically weren't known until after Christmas as the calendars for the next fiscal year weren't completed until late November, and loaded sometime in early February.

Offline AlphaBravo

Ready, Aye, Ready.

• Rate Post
« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2016, 20:32:45 »
It's brutal when I want to make a career out of the FORCES, but I totally get what you're saying. Just being a bit impatient, I will keep waiting out.

Also good to know about when the lists are usually available.

Thanks.
Ready, Aye, Ready

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2016, 11:07:04 »
There is only two serials (French & English split) left in this FY. Both are Reg F. There is nothing on the schedule for next FY yet.

Cook Reg F 11/Jan/17 25 May/17 Scheduled
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline AFHelper

• Rate Post
Military Ranks
« Reply #188 on: October 20, 2017, 14:43:49 »
For a Cook Trade, when do you get your aviator rank?
Is there a DOAD or QR&O to refer at?

Offline AFHelper

• Rate Post
Re: Cooks ( merged )
« Reply #189 on: October 20, 2017, 15:22:55 »
If you completed QL3 Cook in Borden, are you entitled to get Pte/aviator rank?