Author Topic: Artillery Officer Merged Thread  (Read 153259 times)

Online Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Artillery Officer - what to expect?
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2013, 07:00:14 »
Hello,

To give background, I am the common-law partner of someone who has recently been accepted into the Armed Forces as an Artillery Officer and he left for basic training in Saint-Jean yesterday. I have a fair idea of what training entails and the timelines associated with this (He will be in basic from September 28th until February 7th, including leave for Christmas holidays) but have very little information on what life might be like after basic has finished.

From what I know, since he is an Officer, second language training is required. It will most likely be in Quebec and that can run anywhere from 2-9 months. After he completes second language training, he will attend Artillery training in, I believe, Gagetown New Brunswick. So, I've got the basics in information but absolutely no idea of any timelines. I'm currently living close to Toronto, Ontario and am hoping to join him shortly after he completes basic to live with him while he completes second language training in Montreal (on our own dime - I realize this may not be do-able depending on what happens directly after Basic, but that is the "plan" as of right now).

So, after all that lovely information I've given, I'd love to hear from other people who have gone through to be Artillery Officers (or anything that would be similar in training I suppose) and hear about your experiences with training in all its various aspects after BMQ. Timelines for each aspect, how it's worked with your spouse and any other information I'm not privy to at the moment.

I'm just looking to get a feel for what it has been like for others since I am fully aware that in the army, nothing is guaranteed or set in stone. I would prefer not to be apart for second language training as it's a pretty decent schedule and I see no reason to stay here in Ontario. We have already decided that I will be selling most of our non-essential items in preparation for this move and also to ensure that our life is as portable as it needs to be. I don't feel as though I have unrealistic expectations but would really appreciate hearing what other people's experiences have been like.

Thank you so much in advance!

P.S - Anyone reading this post who is the spouse of a CF member, any links to forums for families would be greatly appreciated. I've found a couple but none that have been especially helpful in regards to information. I love the input on here but it can be a bit brutal at times and I'm still a bit fresh as he only left yesterday (sorry for any jumbled writing, I've been awake for far too many hours!)

- ANicole

As an arty officer your spouse will complete basic in St. Jean, but the second language training is no longer offered after, so he will be sent to Gagetown to do his BMOQ-L (CAP). Once done he will complete his phase 3 and likely wait a year for phase 4 as the courses being offered are being reduced. Once trained, he will be posted to a field arty regiment (Shilo, Petawawa, or Valcartier) or to 4 RCA (GSR) in Gagetown to do Air Defence or STA.

If sent to the Sta or AD he will do an additional troop commander course and if sent to the field arty he will do his forward observation officer course (theses courses should be anywhere from 2-5 years after he reaches his regiment). Further, he will do arty ops (8 weeks) and may potentially do the forward air controller course, naval gunfire course, and the instructor in gunnery course, a 9 month course at gagetown to be an instructor at the arty school.

So, he can expect lots of visits to gagetown! That said, there are lots of options for him in the arty. If he chooses sta he will be employed within a light counter mortar radar (LCMR) or acoustic weapon locating system (HALO) troop at a Field regiment or within a Small UAV troop or, in the future, a medium range radar troop in 4RCA (GSR). If choosing the AD path he will work in an airspace coordination centre and in the future in an air defence weapon troop or MRR troop.

If field, he will work in a M777 troop and then as a forward observation officer.

After this initial tour he will be considered for IG or other training.

The Arty officers a number of posting changes and career options. I've been an ADATS troop commander, AD battery Ops O, Scan Eagle UAS Troop Commander overseas, and done the FOO and field IG course.

Also, I don't believe that he will do second language training right away. Who told him this.

Offline jeffb

Really needs to stop buying guns... .

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2013, 09:20:23 »
Great info from Bird Gunner there. Check out the Artillery sub-thread on this forum for more.

One thing that you may not want to hear though is that you should be prepared that none of what BG describes will happen. There are a lot of people that start training only to voluntarily release (quit) or be unsuccessful. Prepare yourself for that possibility. Of the dozen or so artillery officer candidates that started basic training with me, I think only 6 of 7 actually ended up passing all of our training and ending up at a regiment. Just keep in mind that while your partner should be planning for success, you may want to have that plan B in the back of your mind.
~ Ubique ~
Simple is better except when complicated looks really cool.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2013, 09:47:29 »
Forgot to add one thing - I have searched the forums to try and figure this out before posting a question on the forums (I'm fully aware that you guys aren't fans of repeating yourselves), but if this information has been posted elsewhere, feel free to post the link to where I can read it.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ie=UTF-8&q=artillery+officer&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=artillery%20officer&gsc.page=1

Online Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2013, 10:15:08 »
Great info from Bird Gunner there. Check out the Artillery sub-thread on this forum for more.

One thing that you may not want to hear though is that you should be prepared that none of what BG describes will happen. There are a lot of people that start training only to voluntarily release (quit) or be unsuccessful. Prepare yourself for that possibility. Of the dozen or so artillery officer candidates that started basic training with me, I think only 6 of 7 actually ended up passing all of our training and ending up at a regiment. Just keep in mind that while your partner should be planning for success, you may want to have that plan B in the back of your mind.

:goodpost:

Good advice. Not everyone is cut out to be any trade so you have to maintain a sense of reality that army employment isn't a right.

Offline ANicole

• Rate Post
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2013, 10:40:18 »
Thank you for the replies.

And I do know that not everyone makes it through training and successfully into the career of their choice. This isn't something I'm counting on, but he wants to do this with a passion so I'm not very concerned that he won't be successful.

Different people have told him different things in regards to what should be expected, but without concrete information it's bloody difficult to figure out what the next stage of life will be. Since I'm not currently working a job that requires me to stay in one particular place, it allows me to be able to move anywhere in the country that he is stationed - this is why I'm trying to get a better idea of what's to come after Basic.

Offline jeffb

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2013, 11:44:04 »
The reason that you haven't been told too much concrete information is that nothing is concrete. This is true in the training period and even more so as your career progresses. Learn to embrace, or at least accept, uncertainty and you'll do well as a service spouse. The other thing I'll warn you about is that it's much harder in many ways to be married to the Army then to actually BE in the Army. Your partner will be off doing relatively exciting and interesting things with some great friends and you'll generally be left behind to run the equally important, but arguably less exciting, home. I love being and artillery officer but I'm not sure that I'm strong enough to be a service spouse.

Best of luck.
~ Ubique ~

Offline patcosgro

• Rate Post
New Reserve Artillery Officer Questions
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2015, 09:37:51 »
Hello,

I live in Guelph Ontario and am a new applicant to the Reserves as Artillery Officer.  I am just waiting for a call to book interview and medical, and had a couple questions.

1.  Any inside perspective on the duties entailed? 
2.  What is a Forward Observation Officer?  What other types of officer positions are open to Artillery Officers?
3.  I may want to Component Transfer later.  How long does it take to process into the Regular Forces and will I take Basic Training again?

I am very much looking forward to joining.

Thank you for any and all responses.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: New Reserve Artillery Officer Questions
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2015, 09:47:37 »
I live in Guelph Ontario and am a new applicant to the Reserves as Artillery Officer.  I am just waiting for a call to book interview and medical, and had a couple questions.

1.  Any inside perspective on the duties entailed? 
2.  What is a Forward Observation Officer?  What other types of officer positions are open to Artillery Officers?
3.  I may want to Component Transfer later.  How long does it take to process into the Regular Forces and will I take Basic Training again?

Thank you for any and all responses.

Reserve Artillery Officer Training 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=105488.0

reserve artillery officer 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=36441.0

Artillery Officer
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+NPF&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=0n22VK2iNcqy8wfEg4LIDg&gws_rd=ssl#rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&q=site:army.ca++++%22artillery+officer%22

Artillery Officer and Forward Observation.
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=103890.0

Forward observer role in the artillery
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=116310.0

Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,12797.0/nowap.html

Lots more in there, but this is a start.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:56:00 by mariomike »

Offline jeffb

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2015, 09:48:02 »
These questions have all been answered in detail in the artillery sub forum. About 3 threads down is one called "primary reserve officer career progression". Give that sub-forum a read and feel free to ask any additional questions in there or PM me.

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/board,2.0.html

Best of luck,

Jeff
~ Ubique ~

Offline patcosgro

• Rate Post
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2015, 14:07:15 »
Thank you mariomike and jeffb.  I found these links very informative.  I will continue to read through these and similar links to get a better picture of whats to come.  Once I start my training with my Reserve unit I will do my job and do it well.

Offline 3rd Horseman

• Rate Post
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2015, 09:06:56 »
Ah brings back fond memories of Guelph. You have all the info the boys above have directed you to so thats all good. I will give you a personal endorsement. 11FD Regt is a good Regt I enjoyed my 3 years there. The guns will let you do more things in a Army with your military future if you want. It allows you to be in other combat arms worlds and work there with more options to do more things even lets you be part of Navy and Air. On the negative side.....guns wont care about you once you leave the force, we have no close regimental family like the tanks and infantry. I joined the Guns and loved every min of it and had a very exciting and eventful military life all over the world doing things Infantry just dream of.
Join! dont look back.
  And Guelph is great town.....Im from Georgetown now Im way East living the dream on the coast.

Rags
3rd Horseman

Sanctuary is as hard to find and as difficult to walk on as a razors edge

Offline Wizmillion

• Rate Post
Re: Armoured / Artillery Officers
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2016, 14:07:09 »
Hello CSouth,

I had done the following in preparation for my interview -

1. Info on the Internet - I went over all the material that was posted for the trades of my choice on the following websites -
a. www.forces.ca
b. www.forces.gc.ca
c. http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/home-accueil-eng.asp
d. http://www.goarmy.com/
e. http://www.army.mod.uk/join/join.aspx
f. http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public//PubFulltext/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-055///MP-055-30.pdf
g. http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/34gbc/entrevueen.pdf
h. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery
i. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Artillery
j. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Care_Administration

2. Speaking with people in the trade -

For this I went to some of the local militia units. I told them that I was a Regular Force DEO applicant, however I'd like to know more about their job not just to prepare for the interview but to increase my knowledge base. I spoke with members of my family (who are ex and current officers in a foreign army). One of my trade choices was HCA. For this I went and met the administrator of a civilian hospital.

3. Books -

One of the books I invested in was "The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Artillery" by Ian V. Hogg. Before the interview, I had read this book twice from cover to cover.

4. Mock interviews -

I did numerous mock interviews with just myself and my wife. This helped me a lot on the actual day.

5. Knowing the trade, organisation and yourself -

This goes for any kind of organisation. The interviewer(s) will have only a few hours of time in which to interview you. Unlike your family or teachers, they only know you through the paper work that is in front of them - Reliability Screening results, forms submitted during application, degrees, CFAT and medical results, etc. The MCCs give you every opportunity to prove to them that you will be an ideal candidate. It is imperative that you know very, very well the trades of your choice, the CF in general and yourself.

6. Reference/ Commendation letters -

For the interview, I had taken along a folder in which I had kept my degrees, reference letters and commendation letters. (I had not been told to do so). For most of the questions that I was asked, I had a official letter to back the example that I was citing. The interviewers were very impressed with this. They made copies of all my commendation letters and placed them in my file.

7. Dress and deportment -

I had worn a suit for my interview. At the very least one must wear dress clothes with proper lace-up shoes and a tie.

Lastly, I am not a recruiter or a member of the CF. I am just an applicant. The above mentioned pointers stood me well, that is why I am sharing them.

All the best,

AGB.

Thank you for posting this, I had a similar question and I'm finding these resources very useful.
They use their machines well: reverse slopes, ambushes, any trick you can think of and too many you've never imagined in your worst nightmares.

The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons.

Offline seanm

• Rate Post
Artillery
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2016, 19:59:13 »
I'm am currently doing rotp for eme but want to switch to a combat role. What are the main cons of artillery compared to other trades. To me it looks very rewarding and I can't see any cons other then your ears. It would be as an officer.

Online Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Artillery
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2016, 20:09:46 »
I'm am currently doing rotp for eme but want to switch to a combat role. What are the main cons of artillery compared to other trades. To me it looks very rewarding and I can't see any cons other then your ears. It would be as an officer.

Instead of asking for the cons you should ask.for the pros.... you want a trade you love not one you don't dislike as much as other ones.

That said, the arty offers a wide range of technical and tactical opportunities. You can be field artillery and be on a gun line,  be a FOO/FAC, and be up front with the infantry. You can also go STA (surveillance and target acquisiton) and work with UAVS,  radars, or acoustic sound ranging kit. Finally, you could be AD (yes, it's still a stream) and work with radars and the airspace coordination centre (ASCC) . As arty , you can go to Shilo, Pet, Val Cartier,  or Gagetown. Arty offers, to me, the widest variety of jobs and experiences in the combat arms.

Offline seanm

• Rate Post
Re: Artillery Officer Merged Thread
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2016, 21:54:58 »
I have looked at the pros And haven't been able to find a con in my opinion. Is it true being on the gun line will cause you to lose hearing or do you wear ear pro?

Online Bird_Gunner45

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2016, 22:00:25 »
I have looked at the pros And haven't been able to find a con in my opinion. Is it true being on the gun line will cause you to lose hearing or do you wear ear pro?

It can over time, but if you're an officer than you will spend most of your time in a CP and likely only a year or two on a gun line (in your junior years at least). As a FOO or BC you'll spend your time with the combat team and battle group (if you go into the field arty) so you'll travel in a LAV or dismounted. If you're STA or AD your exposure to a gunline will be very limited.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Artillery
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2016, 04:23:24 »
can also go STA (surveillance and target acquisiton) and work with UAVS,  radars, or acoustic sound ranging kit.

While correct, I'll add that the Arty (and the Army in general) work with small UAVs (generally smaller than a Cessna 172, for example).  The larger ones (Predator/Reaper/Global Hawk), if we get them again, are likely to be flown by the Air Force.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Just_A_Guy

• Rate Post
Artillery officer vs. Artillery soldier
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2017, 21:31:07 »
what is the difference between the two? And what exactly does an artillery officer do? where does the officer serve, in a headquarters, or on the field?
thank-you for listening

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.

Offline Just_A_Guy

• Rate Post
Artillery Officer
« Reply #169 on: November 28, 2017, 21:26:37 »
do artillery officers (NOT including FSO's) stay with the big guns? ie. with the srtillery soldiers calling fire ON THE FIELD or stay inside with the computers? ???

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Artillery Officer
« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2017, 21:39:56 »
do artillery officers (NOT including FSO's) stay with the big guns?

If by FSO you mean Fire Support Officer, the Canadian term is Forward Observation Officer (FOO). Artillery officers in the FOO position or role do their job with forward units. Search the forums, their role and responsibilities have been discussed.

Google - site:army.ca FOO

Including this thread from yesterday: https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,116310.0.html

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2019, 17:38:52 »
A bit of a thread necro, but would anyone know what the typical dates are for artillery officer phase III training in the reserves? I'm hearing early May to late July. Would anyone be able to confirm this?

Offline Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2019, 10:35:31 »
I'm assuming you're not talking about BMOQ, but just the Artillery officer training portion. It's now called DP 1.1, and attended by both regular force and primary reserve officer candidates. To account for the typical end of university final semesters, the general timeline is late May to July. There have been courses run during other time periods, fall and winter serials are unusual but have happened in the past

As you'll hear often on these boards, be sure you get current info from your unit on actual availability of a course and confirmation of course loading

Offline Marchog

• Rate Post
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2019, 17:58:41 »
Right, thank you for the response. I'll figure it out from the regiment's ops (I assume that's who knows). The reason I'm only talking about Phase III (or whatever it's called now) is that I'm one of the dolts who figured he'd try to VOT/CFR while working post-university, so timing is the key factor.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 18:04:19 by Marchog »