Author Topic: Name Tapes  (Read 77903 times)

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Naval Combat Nametape with Elemental Symbol?
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 04:11:59 »
Also, the reason you're seeing it mostly on new OS's is because the Fleet School is pushing for us to switch to those.

Uhhmmm, no. The reason it mostly seems to be OS' is precisely because it is the new people to the CF (ie: the OS') whose nametapes are freshly ordered. Those of us with TI, don't order nametapes on a regular basis as we usually have zero requirement for them as we already have at least three.

Last time I ordered nametapes for myself, I was the Sgt in Clothing Stores; it's been quite a while.

I would suspect that each ship has been smart enough to have their storsey submit the nominal roll (with element) to their supporting clothing stores as a bulk order for all Ship's crew by this point in time.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 05:27:58 »
Except that all wearers of NCDs are not sailors. Some are Army, some RCAF; they will now have their own elemental symbol on their nametapes.  ;)
So true. But, they still wear their environmental rank slip on's.  If that is not a dead give away they're not blessed, I don't know if an eagle or crossed swords will be better.  I find the OD and CADPAT are eye catching enough.  Perhaps the crown and anchor wheel extras might be for civilians who maybe need the extra assistance with spot the sailor.   :nod:

jollyjacktar

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 05:30:18 »
I would suspect that each ship has been smart enough to have their storsey submit the nominal roll (with element) to their supporting clothing stores as a bulk order for all Ship's crew by this point in time.
Which is what happened to us, and why they want us now to change over all our nametapes.  The tailors must love it if they are paid by piece work.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 05:47:13 »
Which is what happened to us, and why they want us now to change over all our nametapes.  The tailors must love it if they are paid by piece work.

Depends upon whether or not the tailors at your location are contracted workers or DND employees.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 07:29:20 »
Depends upon whether or not the tailors at your location are contracted workers or DND employees.
Contracted.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2012, 07:49:04 »
So true. But, they still wear their environmental rank slip on's. 

I used to wear the more fashionable old green dress slip ons on my NCD's/coveralls because the CADPAT ones I thought looked retarded on the the NCD's and it's pretty hard to see the rank anyway...and I know a number of Army folks that wore/wear the black one's for the same reason.  The problem with the dark green is they look black to the casual observer and they aren't made anymore (or even technically legal); obviously the black ones make someone assume you're a fish head, so why not wear an environmental tag on something that people will immediately see?

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2012, 07:54:32 »
Contracted.

I'm sure whoever "led this change" to the nametapes for NCDs took into account the associated costs of that little fortune those contractors will be making at your location then to get everyone squared away.

'Tween that and executive curls, I'm amazed you all can afford the sea-gas to keep your ships sailing.  >:D

As an aside, I wore environmental rank slipons when I was there, but it didn't seem to matter much. They still called me OD despite the fact I was blue. It was well more obvious back then too; we wore workdress (blue, green or black) every day as the first generation NCDs (you know, the ones that shrunk all the way up to ones knees) were just coming online. Hope these nametapes help!!

Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 08:27:39 »
Also a word to the wise in these new nametapes.  We found that they don't like a hot iron passed over them and will start to melt onto the surface of the iron.  We have been instructed to change out our nametapes to the new ones.  And yes, they are longer than the old ones.  Gold and Black's for the NCD that is. I guess having the gold black nametapes, rank insignia and NCD's was not enough of a clue for some that the wearer was a Sailor.

Hey, hey now. It's been the Navy screaming for all the extraneous bling it could possibly get for years. Don't be deploying the sea anchor because some shore bound swabby decides to get their 'leading change' bubble filled! Not everyone wet gets to wear an executive curl after all. ;D
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 08:30:33 »

Last time I ordered nametapes for myself, I was the Sgt in Clothing Stores; it's been quite a while.

Yeah, but stores people order them 50 at a time for themselves  ;D
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2012, 08:38:08 »
Yeah, but stores people order them 50 at a time for themselves  ;D

Impossible!! They are ordered by UI: SE (1 set = 3 each) and ergo it is actually 51 for each of us!!  ;D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

jollyjacktar

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:47 »

Hey, hey now. It's been the Navy screaming for all the extraneous bling it could possibly get for years. Don't be deploying the sea anchor because some shore bound swabby decides to get their 'leading change' bubble filled! Not everyone wet gets to wear an executive curl after all. ;D
Just trying to keep up with all the boy scout badges the other kids get... don't want to feel that Mum doesn't love us.

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2012, 20:14:49 »
... don't want to feel that Mum doesn't love us.

She doesn't - get over it  ;D.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2012, 20:38:51 »
She doesn't - get over it  ;D.

MM

Ha! Mum loves us alright, she just knows that the two younger boys need constant re-enforcement with gongs and bling to make up for their inadequacies!

:evil: :evilrifle: :nana: :duel: :bigfight: 

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 23:19:43 »
I have no inadequacies - I drive a Hyundai Accent.

MM
MM

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:29 »
You are all missing the most important issue raised by this "anchor": Will all other Commonwealth naval personnel think we are all leading seaman ??? :)

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 02:23:46 »
Good Point, I say leave it for the Cadpat, also with the new sea service insignia coming out might cause more confusion.

Offline Chelomo

• Rate Post
CAF Nametags
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2015, 14:41:14 »
Hey, so I'm kind of in a pickle since I wasn't issued my nametapes for combats at BMOQ. Therefore, I'm ordering them online from CP Gear, and thus far my setup looks like this:

CADPAT, Crossed Swords Before the name, High Visibility Thread.

Is this correct? The only thing I'm mostly worried about is the thread colour for the name since I can't remember what it is for the life of me.

Link: http://www.cpgear.com/store/nametapes_and_nametags/military_nametapes.htm

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: CAF Nametags
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2015, 15:09:59 »
If you are Army the thread colour for the name is High Visibility.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline Chelomo

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2015, 15:12:26 »
Thanks for the prompt response Dangerboy, you're a life saver!

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2015, 15:13:14 »
I wouldn't spend the money to buy the name tapes, you should get them through your SQ/CQ/RQ/Base clothing stores...
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline GreenWood

• Rate Post
  • Currently in the dreaded process of a CT
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2015, 15:59:40 »
I had bought two off CP Gear, It took us a year and a half to receive four from the regiment I'm at..

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2015, 16:43:54 »
The longer you don't have a name tag, the longer no one knows your name, hang on to that special ability as long as possible.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2015, 19:23:12 »
.........  I thought the element was on the right side on all name tapes, could be wrong though.

But that would mean "UNIFORMITY" in CAF uniforms.   >:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Chelomo

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2015, 22:04:43 »
Yeah, I might be loaded on Phase 2 this summer and I don't exactly want to show to Gagetown without a name tape. That would be very bad.

Offline Gannet

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2015, 23:41:56 »
Yeah, I might be loaded on Phase 2 this summer and I don't exactly want to show to Gagetown without a name tape. That would be very bad.

They'll button one on you if you don't.