Author Topic: Cadets vs Boy Scouts (role, "child soldiers", etc.)  (Read 102385 times)

Offline echo

• Rate Post
Cadets vs Boy Scouts (role, "child soldiers", etc.)
« on: June 03, 2001, 00:28:00 »
A week ago while i was tagging for my corps, a group of about 4 or so people in their mid 20‘s said to me when i approached them to help support my corp,
"we hate the army and dont support the militrarization of youth."
this struck me as kind of rude but i shrugged it off and went about my task.
but as the evening progressed i got more and more of the same
"i dont like the army"
or "army is stupid" and "y are they doing *this* to children" comments by people of the same age group.(one man was rude enough to call us "****ing killers")
by the end of the night i belive about %40 of the people i talked to were opposed to the millitary or just misunderstood what the Cadets were (where %50 didnt care and either gave me money or didnt & %10 were interest in who we were and what we were doing (one elderly gentleman was kind enough to go across the street and buy me and my partner some timbits and coffee) )

I think that most of the general public need to be shown that the Cadets are not a full fledged millitary organization but a DND sponsored YOUTH organization.

The most common question i recieved was "whats the point of cadets?"
That really shocked me because here were parents and students whom have probably at one point in their life been in girl guides,boy scouts,a youth group or SOME kind of youth organization and they were asking me what the point of being in cadets was.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 13:40:51 by kratz »
Nulli Secondus

Offline Soldier of Fortune

• Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
Re: The Masses Must Be Spoken To
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2001, 16:34:00 »
You should have told themm what the point of Cadets was. I can see what your saying about that 40%, when i went tagging I got comments like "I dont support Cadets" as if we were evil or spmething  :evil: ! However most people were not too rude... Maybe thats because we live in a samll town. Also does your Corp do much community activities (e.g. Adopt a Highway) ? I know my Corp does (we won the community thing of the year award  :p ) and our Corp has quite a bit of respect, maybe thats why?
:bullet:    Soldier of Fortune    :bullet:

Offline echo

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2001, 16:54:00 »
my corps has done a lot of community projects in the past.
from tree planting to baricading for the santa claus parade.
we‘ve also adopted a wooded trail along the rouge vally area.
Nulli Secondus

King

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2001, 23:07:00 »
Ah, memories of tagging.

The worst I ever really had tagging is (regularly) putting up with the drunks that saunter on by. They give you the usual spiel about being in Vietnam and then with a crooked salute their on their way.   :rolleyes:

the patriot

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2001, 14:09:00 »
The funny thing is that cadets at one point in time used to be mandatory for all high school students until the mid 1960‘s.  I honestly don‘t know why this is no longer the case.  As a result one can see the steady decline in the behaviour of a certain percentage of young people today.  As for all those people that we‘re putting you down and saying "I‘m anti-military", don‘t let them get to you.  These are the same fools who don‘t realize that there are veterans who once wore Army Cadet uniforms (a whole lot of them actually).  Don‘t worry about a thing.  You‘re doing a lot more than some couch potato, obese whiner who sits around all day playing  video games on their Sony PlayStation.

-the patriot-  ;)

Offline echo

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2001, 20:48:00 »
actually as a matter of fact,
the elderly gentleman who bought me and my friend some doughnuts was a major in the brittish army during korea.

the drunks arent too bad sometimes,
one fumbled in his pocket for 10 min looking for money while i held his whiskey for him and i ended up with a $20 bill.
Nulli Secondus

Offline Soldier of Fortune

• Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
Cadets vs Boy Scouts (role, "child soldiers", etc.)
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2001, 17:43:00 »
Are Cadets considered civilians? Are they only considered civilians if they are not in uniform?
:bullet:    Soldier of Fortune    :bullet:

Offline Gunner

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Artillery Forum Moderator
Re: Are Cadets Civilians?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2001, 18:32:00 »
Cadets are civilians as they are not members of the Canadian Forces.  You may recall a couple of years ago when cadets were not allowed to be trained on or use the C7 rifle as it was classified as a prohibited weapon under the CCC.

The CIC is a different story.  They are members of the Reserve Force, and hence, are members of the military.
Had a wonderful ~26 years in the military and still miss it.

delta_whiskey

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2001, 20:48:00 »
Well i think that it‘s weird. we‘re stuck in the middle   :p  We‘re certainly civilians compared to the military, they‘ve been working hard to make sure of that, but can you say that you‘re as much of a civilian as your "normal" friends?

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2001, 21:24:00 »
Q: Are cadets civillians?
A: Yes.

King

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2001, 01:34:00 »
Cadets are most certainly civilians, I believe that‘s being stressed now more then ever.

ender

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2001, 18:23:00 »
According to international law, (which Canada has signed of course- we sign everything) countries are not allowed to recruit soldiers under the age 16, or use soldiers under 18 in Combat.  Therefore Cadets have to be civilians.  Nobody wants 15 year olds being killed in battle.

Yard Ape

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2001, 08:16:00 »
Canadian law outlines that Cadets are civilians.  If they were military, they would be subject to the NDA.  They are not.  

Not even while in uniform do Cadets become anything more than Civilians.

:cool:   Yard Ape

peanutshel

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2001, 11:35:00 »
Cadets are a civilian youth organization.  All Cadet units have to have a sponsor and many are sponsored by the Canadian Forces, or Legions. A good site to visit for information on Cadets is www.cadets.ca

the patriot

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2002, 12:40:00 »
This is actually quite debatable.  While wearing your uniform and cap brass of your affiliated unit, you are subject to the Code of Service Discipline.  Furthermore, when you are on contract as a Staff Cadet, you are automatically subject to rules similar to that of military personnel in the reserves or the regs running similar courses.  So in essence, this concept that "cadets are civillians" will only go so far.  Ever been on a range with an RSO and fire a military rifle?  Screw up on that range and you will definitely not be treated like a civillian.

-the patriot-  :cdn:

spacemarine

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2002, 14:52:00 »
"While wearing your uniform and cap brass of your affiliated unit, you are subject to the Code of Service Discipline"

Sorry that‘s not true at all. Cadets don‘t fall under that they have thier own CATOs. A cadet cannot be charged through their system, it goes to civilian court.

cs11sunray

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2002, 20:32:00 »
A Cadet is not subject to the Code. a staff Cadet is bound by a body of regulations similiar to and modeled on the CSD.

If an individual is not bound by the Code of Service Discipline, is paid for their services only after reaching a contractual agreement on a case-by-case basis, and belongs to an organization which recieves a large portion of it‘s funding from sources other than the CF or DND, it may be said that the individual is not a member.

However, there is a certain grey area, as a cadet is far more involved with the CF than a lot of adult civvies.  :confused:

Offline just me...

• Rate Post
  • Soldier First
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2002, 22:37:00 »
Cadets are civilians...........period.  End of story.  We can talk about this until the cows come home.  You are sponsored by your affiliated unit and that‘s the extent of it.

Ray

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2002, 02:04:00 »
A cadet is a stepping stone to the CF and no more!!!!!!!
the way you think can we call in the cubs to that would be great serve with my son !!

smackdaddy

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2002, 03:03:00 »
Cadets are considered civilians, and right they should be. The Cadet corp of Canada serves as a usefull tool to let the youth of today grow up with a little discipline and a small understanding of the CF. As for CIL members they are there to teach these kids the book of the military, it is a shame that some of the instructors (with rank) feel that reg soldiers and dedicated reserves should treat them the same, I do have a small problem with that as in they did their tests, practiced their skills of teaching etc... yet have never left their home town. When you eat the dirt and do the time then you don‘t need to run around telling everyone how you should be respected. Please do not take this as a slam, they serve a great purpose but leave the soldiering to the soldiers. This is my point of veiw with 12 years in the Army(all reg).

toms3

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2002, 14:41:00 »
Cadet = a more military informed civilian.

:rocket:  :warstory:

ArmyBoyzGurl

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2002, 19:41:00 »
well, seeing as i‘m still IN cadets.. (air to be exact   :blotto:  ) employed as a staff cadet, we are under the military code of conduct, because we are employees of dnd..we have service numbers and are employed on bases.. thats all i gotz to say..  ;)  ciao!

Offline Gunner

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2002, 20:12:00 »
And you are still a civilian.

ArmyBoyzGurl

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2002, 21:08:00 »
yes, because i‘m not employed by dnd right now, and plus, i‘m not in the canadian forces..

Offline Gunner

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2002, 21:53:00 »
Sorry, I thought you were implying that you were something that you are not.