Author Topic: Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)  (Read 283732 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
Re: Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)
« Reply #425 on: Yesterday at 16:18:57 »
Ain't that the truth and in some respects the Army does the same thing - the exceptions being The Leopards and The LAVs.

Ditto with RCAF. 
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #426 on: Yesterday at 17:05:35 »
Ain't that the truth and in some respects the Army does the same thing - the exceptions being The Leopards and The LAVs.

WRT the LAVs - 25mm isn't 40mm.  Or even 35mm. 
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

ignoramus et ignorabimus

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #427 on: Yesterday at 18:33:46 »
It is from Oct 1998, our inaugural entrance to Esquimalt Hbr following the coastal transfer from the East Coast.  I'm on the bridge wing in the photo.

While it may be strategically imprudent, there are immediate Operational-level effects that can be achieved by MARLANT/MARPAC by keeping them going, particularly cost savings.
Take a low-impact mission like Op CARIBBE - a KINGSTON-Class MM can only do maybe 40-50% of what a HALIFAX-Class frigate could do on the same mission - but it can do it at 10% of the cost of a Frigate. (Those numbers are just ROM numbers for illustration purposes - except the 10% bit.  My annual fuel budget in 2014 was 10% of what a friend's annual FFG fuel budget was). The same goes for SAR Patrols, Sovereignty Patrols, Fisheries Patrols, MARPATs, etc.  All stuff that is currently assigned to the RCN - some of which are part of official burden-sharing agreements with OGDs, so not something that the RCN can easily divest ourselves of.

Training is another aspect.  With so many recent years where junior officers spent their times as 2nd, 3rd and 4th Officers-of-the-Watch because of a limited number of FFGs, MCDVs provide more platforms for junior officers to get their basic navigation and OOW training done and somewhat consolidated. Sure, no one is launching or recovering a helo on an MCDV or the other high-speed, low drag stuff, but a Sub-Lieutenant gets to drive a ship.  Heck, I deployed to the Arctic with a Pre-NOPQ officer as my NavO.  He was standing his own watches about 3 weeks after leaving Halifax.

The Command development opportunities at the XO and CO-level for pre-FFG XO officers are also worth their weight in training gold, I think.

It will be interesting to compare those estimates with the AOP's where you might double the fuel costs over the MCDV but increase the versatility significantly. I suspect that in about 3-5 years enough experience to compare the 3 types.   

Offline IN ARDUA NITOR

• Rate Post
« Reply #428 on: Yesterday at 20:46:04 »
It will be interesting to compare those estimates with the AOP's where you might double the fuel costs over the MCDV but increase the versatility significantly. I suspect that in about 3-5 years enough experience to compare the 3 types.

You will more than double fuel costs. The HDW class at 95% take some 716CUM of fuel which is 4 1/3 times the capacity of the KIN Class. While the range of HDW is 20% better, and the endurance at sea much longer (which makes sense given the significant size difference) I have to think the fuel budget will be much higher. While I agree that versatility will be greatly improved, the HDW class will be magnitudes more expensive to operate and maintain than the KIN Class. 
+60