Author Topic: Medal Mounting  (Read 58445 times)

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Medal Mounting
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2018, 09:48:00 »
Remember also that you can put in a claim through Clothing Stores to recover at least some of the cost of mounting your full-size medals privately.  You do not have to have Clothing Stores mount them (or have them mounted) for you.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2018, 10:07:26 »
Well, I have been, how do you say, "hosed" then.   :'(

Depending on the cost of the new medal, you may not have been.  Some of the medals are over $25.  I think the last one I received (OSM Hum) was $26.50 plus mounting.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2018, 10:14:27 »
Our Wg Supply contract is with Martels;  the last time they did my medals they scratched the bar on the CD.  Otherwise, the mounting is well done.

My mini's, I've used these folks - very well done.  https://www.defencemedals.ca/  They also do ribbon bars. I don't wear ribbons often enough to spend the money myself, but a friend had a set done and they are pretty sharp looking.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:17:42 by Eye In The Sky »
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2018, 10:19:42 »
People pay for ribbon bars? They're free at clothing stores...

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2018, 10:31:29 »
Ya, these ones are fairly slim compared to the issued ribbon bar.  1 friend of mine got a set of the slim ones after he went UTP and started doing the 3B thing a lot.  Pic from the Defence Medals website.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2018, 13:50:46 »
People pay for ribbon bars? They're free at clothing stores...

The pins on the ones from Clothing Stores are not long enough for the jacket.  The backings have a habit of coming off (usually at the most inopportune moments).

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2018, 18:35:52 »
Kind of related to medal mounting, this seemed like the best place for my question;  ref this picture:

https://www.facebook.com/CAFOperations/photos/a.277293098964679/2381342085226426/?type=3&theater

Is it just me, or do most of the SSM ribbons look like they are red/white/black vice red/white/green?

From:  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/honours-history-medals-chart/medal-ssm.page

The ribbon is 32 mm wide with a dark green centre (12 mm) flanked with white stripes (5mm) and edged with red (5 mm). The dark green is similar to the "unification green" of the uniform worn when the medal was approved in 1984, red and white are the official colours of Canada as appointed by King George V in 1921.

Just wondering if they are making them incorrectly (I think most of the ribbon looks black vice green...).  I know there was some issues when they were doing the IMPACT medals up, and sending out GCS-Exps with the GSM-Exp ribbon.  This wasn't picked up until a few of them made it to my Sqn and the SCWO got them in his hands.

All medals, etc are done up by the Royal Canadian Mint, are they not?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 18:40:08 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2018, 01:04:53 »
I think what you're seeing is a result of the lighting in the photograph.  The green used in the ribbon is VERY dark and from some angles it often looks black.  There is little chance of there being a variance because all for the ribbon for Canadian honours (especially the ones managed by DH&R) are manufactured by the same company (Toye, Kenning and Spencer).  Their quality control is exceptional.

The Mint only strikes medals.  They don't manufacture the ribbon.  It's only recently that they've actually been contracted to attach the ribbons for presentation.  Not too long ago, the Chancellery used to contract out even the striking of medals to the lowest bidder, so a number of suppliers have been used.  I believe, however, that the Mint now does most of them.  The big exception may be the ones that require enamelling.  For example, the Mint has never made Crosses of Valour.  Only 25 have ever been made and they were all produced by Garrard's of London when the decoration was first established.