Author Topic: Fitness test push up question  (Read 26605 times)

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
Re: Fitness test push up question
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2004, 23:01:32 »
(I'm sure there is) but is there a minimum amount of sit-ups/push-ups you have to complete before you push yourself for more and if (what im sure will be a) yes what is the minimum number?

You do your best!!

When over Seas are you going too ask "Whats the Minimum?"!!
I think not!!

Prepare for it and do the best you can because that's what the Military is all about!
No matter if you are the lowest as long as you have given it your best!!
Attitude People,Attitude!!
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
    • http://soon
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2004, 23:19:06 »
The tester told me that the minimum push ups and sit ups anyone should do before BMQ is 30.
What ever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger ;
Whatever doesn't kill ME, had better run like hell!

Offline skura

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2004, 23:22:14 »
The tester told me that the minimum push ups and sit ups anyone should[/u] do before BMQ is 30.

I'll push myself to do more...I wanna able to do atleast 30 by the time I start training...but like Spr. Earl said;

"You do your best"

-- skura

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other ******* die for his" -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2004, 00:06:55 »
The tester told me that the minimum push ups and sit ups anyone should[/u] do before BMQ is 30.

I'll push myself to do more...I wanna able to do atleast 30 by the time I start training...but like Spr. Earl said;

Do your best

Hey kiddies when I was 41/42 doing pre selection with 3 VP I could do 30 push up's,20 odd sit up's and just nearly made doing 12 full arm chin up's!!.
Now come on don't tell me you youngn;s cant do that!
If you want it that bad you will prepare your self and beat the standards!!!

It's all ATTITUIDE!!

You want it that bad you will do what it ever takes you to gain what you want!!

In Combat Arms there is no such word in our dictionary as a "MINIMUM" only "MAXIMUM" effort!!
Remember that!

THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

digital

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2004, 12:43:35 »

"You do your best"

for the love of God man recruiters/testers should attend a basic recruiting course where all of them all across canada  LEARN to give everyone the same no bs assessment of how well to do or what applicants should do b4 getting in.

had i known i needed 30, i would not have stopped at 25pushups and 27situps. i was told we are graded on a pass/fail basis. and the passing for my age group is 19 pushups & situps. my logic was to conserve energy for the entire fitness test and not overdo it on one element.

im sure im not the only one to say "damn i wish someone told me so before my application was done". i really hate all these hidden elements of the Forces that we dont know about till we're belly up at the last gasp. i  mean is it really that hard to just give it to the public straight? is it asking too much? im sure the majority of applicants arent lacking in confidence (im certainly not), but i dont train for medals or ribbons, i play sports with kids, my buddies and whoever is willing for the luv of the experience. not to conquer other ppl and gloat. so obviously i wont be doing pushups like a Navy SEAL. and im sure not all of us (before we decided to enlist) had a regimented lifestyle like the canadian olympic team.

once again, thank God for this forum. whoever created this forum, thx a million. you guys really help us out and its nice to have someone looking out for the "little guy." you guys should be recruiters.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 13:02:21 by digital »

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2004, 12:54:18 »
You don't need 30.  The magic number is 19.  However, anyone who contents themselves to put forth a minimum effort and can only do 19 will be in for a nasty surprise when they get into real training.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline skura

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2004, 13:34:04 »
I've started practicing the "army push-up"...it's not as hard as I thought it was going but I haven't pushed myself yet to see how many I can do right now (I'm practicing the up - 2 - 3 - down - 2 - 3)...and I got to thinking is there an "army sit-up"...cause these push-ups are different then any push-up I've ever done...and what else is in the fitness portion of Basic Training, I've seen push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, and I'm sure there's running...what else?

::EDIT:: Also what are the grips on the boots and mats like...I know when they make us to push-ups in school I tend to slip quite a bit and have to stop for a second to wipe my hands and get back in proper push-up form...and I know if I stop to fix my grip while in training I'm done...but if I'm slipping I'll do much less before my form is to bad and they stop me...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 15:07:16 by skura »
-- skura

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other ******* die for his" -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Scaddie

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2004, 09:58:41 »
I'm having a difficult time keeping my elbows in towards my ribs...any suggestions that might help me out? I can do around 20 regular wide grip pushups, but when it comes time to put my hands under my shoulders, and keep the elbows in, I can only do three. Maybe I'm just not strong enough yet!

Offline skura

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2004, 14:50:26 »
There was a suggestion earlier on this thread to do the push-ups on your knees at first, makes it easier and will help improve your strength...after some time doing them on your knees you can try it the normal way again...of course you can always do other exercises for your triceps to build them and get stronger that way, then try the army push-up again....

As for keeping your elbows in...as far as I know there's no real "technique"...it's just, well...keeping your elbows in :D

I can do about 15 of the army push-ups, and if the army sit-up is just a regular sit up I can do about 50 of those, or if it's crunches I do about 69-74 in one minute...so if anyone can tell me what the sit-ups are like in basic that'd be great
-- skura

Offline DrSize

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2004, 15:04:20 »
If you are having problems, try close grip bench press.  This excercise is great practice for "army" type pushups.  The very first time I tried army pushups I was able to do 30 nice slow controlled ones, and I do alot of bench work at the gym

Offline skura

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2004, 15:08:03 »
Close grip meaning where your hands are when your doing the army push-up or close meaning your hands are above your face?
-- skura

Offline DrSize

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2004, 15:29:49 »
Well it would make sense to position your hands on the bar where they would be when doing pushups....

Offline Scaddie

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2004, 16:14:23 »
Thanks alot!

Offline DrSize

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2004, 16:20:51 »
Its an almost identical motion except upside down so to speak, so it only makes sense.  It will strengthen all the required muscles needed to do pushups.  I would recommend keeping your reps so you reach failure around 6-8.  I have worked up to 315lbs for 12 reps using a close grip..

Offline Scaddie

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2004, 17:40:24 »
That sounds like so much, but then again, I may think differently in a year or two.

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2004, 18:05:23 »

Do your best

Hey kiddies when I was 41/42 doing pre selection with 3 VP I could do 30 push up's,20 odd sit up's and just nearly made doing 12 full arm chin up's!!.
Now come on don't tell me you youngn;s cant do that!
If you want it that bad you will prepare your self and beat the standards!!!

It's all ATTITUIDE!!

You want it that bad you will do what it ever takes you to gain what you want!!

In Combat Arms there is no such word in our dictionary as a "MINIMUM" only "MAXIMUM" effort!!
Remember that!

Hey i just quoted the tester guy, i didnt say i will stop at 30. I can do 200 situps and 30 pushups right now. Trying to raise my number to minimum 60 push ups before bmq.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 18:10:27 by jarko »

Offline jarko

• Rate Post
  • Infantry Hooah
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2004, 22:34:21 »
Anyone got any tips in raising push up number. I have been stuck at my current number of 30 - 35 push ups max for about 3 months and i cant raise my number at all. I can raise my bench press number also have been stuck on it for a long while also. My friend told me i should something like a pyramid thing starting with 10 and going to 1 then back up. I was wondering if any of you know if it works..

Thx

D-n-A

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2004, 22:42:44 »
what else is in the fitness portion of Basic Training, I've seen push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, and I'm sure there's running...what else?

For PT on my BMQ course we did

runs
push ups
set ups
chin ups
soccer
some fighting/grappling kinda stuff( for example, you buddy up with somone, put your hands around their neck, an try to get your arms under their arms an kicking them in the thigh  - I kicked  superman's(a guy's username on this forum) a$$ when we were doing it  ;D  )
some weird   other things(trying to like, hop across a field on your hands an feet)
FFO Marches
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 22:50:40 by D-n-A »

Offline bigwig

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2004, 22:59:26 »
Jarko
Try putting on your ruck (or just a large back pack) and filling it with some crap to weigh it down. Put enough weight in it so you can do 8-10 push ups just barely. I did this for about 5 months and increased my pushups quite a bit. It may seem kid of stupid but it work.s  Or if you want to throw some money around join your local gym and just do upper body exorcises.
Fear is the enemy of Progression
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

wackymax

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2004, 23:07:12 »
I was able to more than double the number of pushups I could do in less than a month. At the beginning of July, I could do 20 full push ups (touch chest to ground and back up to lock elbows) and by the end of the month I could do 45. I didn't really do anything specific except everytime I thought about pushups, I'd drop and do as many as I could.

When I started, I'd think about it and drop and do 20. Anytime I though about it I'd drop and do 20. After a while, the last one wasn't too much of a struggle anymore. So, I started doing 25. The last one was really hard but I managed to pull it off. I did the same thing over and over and over. Eventually, I kept adding about 5 pushups a week and can do almost 50 now. Not only did this help my pushups but it also really helped my chest press without having to use weights!

I would like to point out one thing: Fitness test pushups are FAR different than the pushups I was doing. When I did my fitness test, I could do 20 pushups where my chest would touch the ground. However, when they test you, all you have to do is go down to a 90 degree angle with your elbow! Also, they had my hands way further apart than I normally do. When I did my test, I did 48.

When training, go up and down slow and smooth but when being tested, do 'em as fast as possible. When going fast, just make sure you don't break form.

Hope that helps!

Offline skura

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2004, 23:13:48 »
So to me it sounds like theres someone watching you, and only you while you do your push-ups/sit-ups...I thought it was one instructor with a line of about 10 recruits and he walked back and forth keeping an eye on everyone...now I'm under the impression it's one instructor for one recruit and you as many as you can from what I originally heard was an up - 2 - 3 down - 2 - 3 procedure...which one of these is correct?

Also I'm still not sure whether the sit-ups they make you do in Basic Training are regular sit-ups, a modified crunch or something I haven't heard of before...so whats the army sit-up like?
-- skura

Offline bigwig

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2004, 23:33:31 »
It is usually just one PT instructor for the PT test, but he watches you do the push ups individualy. As for the sit ups, your knees must be at a 45 degree angle, hands behind the head and your elbows must touch your knees (without moving your arms or legs!)

Oh and you can get buddy to hold your feet for you which helps out a lot.
Cheers
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 23:36:03 by bigwig »
Fear is the enemy of Progression
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.