Author Topic: All things Health Care Admin/HCA (merged)  (Read 54264 times)

Offline Master Corporal Steven

• Rate Post
Re: Degree Holder- ROTP or DEO or Education
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2015, 09:35:29 »
Good day JLeonardSmith,

Through your considerable amount of reading I'm sure that you read the read first post regarding the rules for posting questions on this form specifically that we do not answer questions on in progress applications as more accurate answers can be given by the recruiting centre processing your application because they have your information. That being said I will elaborate on some of the available options to you to become a Health Care Administrator (HCA)

Health Care Administer (HCA)

Direct Entry Officer (DEO)

Ideal Education

Master’s degree in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or
o Human Resource Management

Or

Undergraduate degree with a Major in:
o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or

Acceptable

Any undergraduate degree with a Minor
in:
o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin;
o Human Resource Management or
related Health Care fields

Occupational Transfer (OT) (From one military Occupation to HCA)

Ideal

Master’s degree in:
o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or

Or

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or

Acceptable

in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin;
related Health Care fields; or
o others as designated by the MOSID
Advisor on a case-by-case basis

Component Transfer (CT) (From NCM to Officer)

Ideal

Master’s degree in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or
o Human Resource Management, or

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin; or

Acceptable

in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin;

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) (Paid Education)

Any degree with Major or Minor in:

o Health Care Admin;
o Business Admin;

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:39:53 by Master Corporal Steven »
Forces.ca

Offline Shmack

• Rate Post
OT to HCA
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2016, 15:06:02 »
Hello, I came to the forum to find information about an occupational transfer from PRes Med A into a PRes HCA. I have found other threads where people ask about joining as an HCA which does not apply to me (unless I release to re-enlist. Not my plan).

My unit's situation is a bit strange as it is a detachment, of a detachment, of a unit in another province... All of the HCA's I know of are in that other province. Our det is growing and suffers from a lack of officers. Would it be reasonable to say that the unit needs an HCA?

I have recently finished a BA in Archaeology and I doubt that it would be useful for considering me to become an HCA. Who would be the best bet for getting more information: my CO, the unit CO, or one of the HCA's?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 17:51:45 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Staff Weenie

• Rate Post
Re: OT to HCA
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2016, 15:30:32 »
Archaeology certainly isn't the preferred degree for HCA - but it is not necessarily a showstopper. BTW - my first degree was History, and I started a second one in Archaeology before doing the MA in War Studies - no link at all to health care.  What is currently happening, is that the preferred and acceptable degree requirements for Res F HCA are under review (and have been for some time).  In the interim, if a unit has an individual that wishes to join, or to take their Commission, then the unit can apply through 4 H Svcs Gp to the MOS Advisor for a waiver. If there are no other applicants with the preferred or acceptable degree, and the unit is short of HCA, then a waiver may be granted.

The greater issue is that you're not even in the same Province as 35 Fd Amb.  Currently, 23 Fd Amb has a Pl located in London ON, and I believe it has been provided an HCA or a GDNO as Pl Comd. I am in 28 Fd Amb, and we have looked at how to beef up our capability to support in Kingston, and Sudbury and the north - we may look at requesting a Pl allocation for this. If the CO of 35 Fd Amb feels that a strong case could be made to upgrade the Det in St John's to a Pl, then perhaps 4 H Svcs Gp could support it to CF H Svcs Gp.  Otherwise, the CO of 35 Fd Amb could, should they have vacant HCA positions, recommend your Commissioning (provided you meet all of the other requirements, and get the educational waiver), and opt to have you employed in St John's.

Offline Shmack

• Rate Post
Re: OT to HCA
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2016, 09:48:56 »
Thank you for your replies. I'll talk to everyone I can and get in touch with the CO to figure out my next steps.

Offline WeekOldPotatoSalad

• Rate Post
First Posting Possibilities: HCA
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2016, 01:30:53 »
Hello all,

I did a search and couldn’t find any recent information on this topic… Forgive me if my search was inadequate.

My question is in regards to likely posting opportunities. I am currently going through ROTP, set to graduate by the end of the year, and as I understand it, I will be posted shortly thereafter, at which time I will do phase III/IV in Borden, and the HealthCareCAN DL package.

To the point: It would make sense to me, as an outsider, for HCA’s first posting to be to either Edmonton or Pet, so that new HCA’s can easily transition between a clinic and a Field Amb as they progress (or back and forth as needed due to manning req). My reason for this line of thinking is that it allows the CAF to push one through their junior officer experience at an MIR and a Field Ambulance without having to do a public cost move between two bases, a “two postings with one stone” scenario that maximizes experience while minimizing cost. Similarly, being posted to a base clinic without a Field Amb-Wainwright, Gagetown, Halifax, etc- and then being tasked to a larger base for Field Amb work costs money for TD/travel, so it feels logical that this would be avoided, where possible.

Am I on the right track here, or are fresh new HCA's commonly posted to smaller facilities? Does this line of thought make sense to those of you who have either been through it recently, or have knowledge of how this system works? If anyone has any thoughts on this, I am all ears (or eyes in this case).

Thank you for your insight.

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Rucksack Living!
Re: First Posting Possibilities: HCA
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2016, 09:04:52 »
The first thing you need to accept is that the posting plot makes no sense. The second thing is that it rarely has foresight past the immediate needs of the service, outside of those that are succession planned (which will not be you as a Lt HCA). Once you have accepted these two facts, you just place your fate in the hands of the man. Not joking, I am serious, you would think there is some sort of master plan to all of this moving as a subaltern, but alas, nope.

Here is some food for thought and for the others looking at this thread in the future.

HCA's right off the Basic Training List (meaning they are done BMOQ, HSOSOC, BHCA and the civilian health care certificate package) are employed in a number of locations / roles.

1) Clinics.
2) Field Units.
3) Headquarters.
4) Training Centre.

1) Clinics.  The entry level position in a Canadian Forces Health Services Centre (Base Medical Clinic) is as the Support Services Manager (SSM). This really is not an entry level position probability suited for a newly minted Captain, but we use it as such and it is quite possible you will find yourself in this position as a new Lt with a boat load of responsibility. Each Canadian Forces Health Services Centre has one SSM and they report to the CO / Clinic Manager.  Responsible for clinic infrastructure, finance, human resources, the clinic orderly room and health records section. You will become a civilian (public service) management and finance ninja in this job.

2) Field units. Either field ambulance (three of them) or 1 Canadian Field Hospital (1 of them). Most commonly you will start as the Assistant Operations Officer, Assistant Training Officer or Assistant Adjutant but it is possible you will be a Platoon Commander (Ambulance Pl) or Platoon 2IC (Medical Pl), Company 2IC right from the start.  The later three jobs are ideally a Sr. Lt or Jr. Captain, especially if the Med Pl Commander position is not filled due to a shortage of Medical Officers.  Here is the trick, the Field Ambulances also are responsible for the Base Medical Clinic (in such situations called Garrison Medical Support Company) they are co-located with, so you could also be the SSM working in the GS Coy of a Fd Amb. The nice thing about a Fd Amb is that that it offers some posting stability for a few years and you can move up the Jr Officer HCA chain in one location. For instance, you can move from A/Training Officer to Amb Pl Comd, to SSM, to Adjt, which could take multiple years.  If I was to request one posting from the Career Manager as a newly minted HCA it would be to a field unit, ideally a field ambulance.

3) Headquarters. Three of them (Gp HQ in Ottawa, 1 Health Services Group and 4 Health Services Group).  In these positions you will be a staff officer supporting either other staff officers or be the staff officer to a Director / Commander (Gp HQ). These positions are not an ideal introduction to the CF H Svcs Gp, and nobody wants to be an Lt in a HQ, especially when everyone around you is a Captain or Major and you soon learn the about the concept of Shitty Little Jobs Officer.  If you have to pick one as an Lt, pick the HSGs as there is more meaningful work for an Lt there and less Sr. Officers to deal with.

4) Training Centre.You will work as a finance officer, support services officer, maybe as a Coy Admin Officer. The nice thing at the Canadian Forces Training Centre is that you can stay a few years an move into an instructor position or become the Adjt / Ops O / Coy 2IC. 

So there you have it... life as a Lt HCA.  Things change when you get to Captain.

I would go with a field unit. Get it done when you are young and set the conditions to return as a Coy Comd / DCO / CO someday. Likewise learn how a CF H Svcs C works as a Lt / Capt so you can set the conditions to be a Clinic CO / Manager one day. 

If you need anything else drop me a line and good luck with your transition from ROTP to the serving ranks.

MC

Offline WeekOldPotatoSalad

• Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2016, 12:11:23 »
Thank you so much for your thoughtful, thorough response; it was extremely helpful in better understanding the situation (even if it really opens the doors on possible postings). I'll give it some thought and probably come back to pester you with another question or two.

Offline jitterbug

• Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2016, 13:07:12 »
The first thing you need to accept is that the posting plot makes no sense. The second thing is that it rarely has foresight past the immediate needs of the service, outside of those that are succession planned (which will not be you as a Lt HCA). Once you have accepted these two facts, you just place your fate in the hands of the man. Not joking, I am serious, you would think there is some sort of master plan to all of this moving as a subaltern, but alas, nope.

Here is some food for thought and for the others looking at this thread in the future.

HCA's right off the Basic Training List (meaning they are done BMOQ, HSOSOC, BHCA and the civilian health care certificate package) are employed in a number of locations / roles.

1) Clinics.
2) Field Units.
3) Headquarters.
4) Training Centre.

1) Clinics.  The entry level position in a Canadian Forces Health Services Centre (Base Medical Clinic) is as the Support Services Manager (SSM). This really is not an entry level position probability suited for a newly minted Captain, but we use it as such and it is quite possible you will find yourself in this position as a new Lt with a boat load of responsibility. Each Canadian Forces Health Services Centre has one SSM and they report to the CO / Clinic Manager.  Responsible for clinic infrastructure, finance, human resources, the clinic orderly room and health records section. You will become a civilian (public service) management and finance ninja in this job.

2) Field units. Either field ambulance (three of them) or 1 Canadian Field Hospital (1 of them). Most commonly you will start as the Assistant Operations Officer, Assistant Training Officer or Assistant Adjutant but it is possible you will be a Platoon Commander (Ambulance Pl) or Platoon 2IC (Medical Pl), Company 2IC right from the start.  The later three jobs are ideally a Sr. Lt or Jr. Captain, especially if the Med Pl Commander position is not filled due to a shortage of Medical Officers.  Here is the trick, the Field Ambulances also are responsible for the Base Medical Clinic (in such situations called Garrison Medical Support Company) they are co-located with, so you could also be the SSM working in the GS Coy of a Fd Amb. The nice thing about a Fd Amb is that that it offers some posting stability for a few years and you can move up the Jr Officer HCA chain in one location. For instance, you can move from A/Training Officer to Amb Pl Comd, to SSM, to Adjt, which could take multiple years.  If I was to request one posting from the Career Manager as a newly minted HCA it would be to a field unit, ideally a field ambulance.

3) Headquarters. Three of them (Gp HQ in Ottawa, 1 Health Services Group and 4 Health Services Group).  In these positions you will be a staff officer supporting either other staff officers or be the staff officer to a Director / Commander (Gp HQ). These positions are not an ideal introduction to the CF H Svcs Gp, and nobody wants to be an Lt in a HQ, especially when everyone around you is a Captain or Major and you soon learn the about the concept of Shitty Little Jobs Officer.  If you have to pick one as an Lt, pick the HSGs as there is more meaningful work for an Lt there and less Sr. Officers to deal with.

4) Training Centre.You will work as a finance officer, support services officer, maybe as a Coy Admin Officer. The nice thing at the Canadian Forces Training Centre is that you can stay a few years an move into an instructor position or become the Adjt / Ops O / Coy 2IC. 

So there you have it... life as a Lt HCA.  Things change when you get to Captain.

I would go with a field unit. Get it done when you are young and set the conditions to return as a Coy Comd / DCO / CO someday. Likewise learn how a CF H Svcs C works as a Lt / Capt so you can set the conditions to be a Clinic CO / Manager one day. 

If you need anything else drop me a line and good luck with your transition from ROTP to the serving ranks.

MC

This is a really great post thanks for sharing as it cleared up alot of questions I had.

Offline kfrunning

• Rate Post
Re: All things Health Care Admin/HCA (merged)
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2016, 06:14:58 »
I am considering a rather startling career change and would like some input from anyone who might have some insight.

I originally trained as a Registered Nurse and have since obtained an MBA (while still maintaining my RN registration).  I have been managing hospital units for the last 10 years - budgets, human resources, clinical support, program development, etc.  I have also been living overseas for the last five years (Australia) and plan to return to Canada next year.  I am contemplating joining the reserves when I get home, or perhaps even the regular forces.  The biggest issue - I am already 47 years old!  Other forums have said that other middle-aged female recruits tend to take on the role of platoon mother during basic.  I can handle that, and I am quite fit, but I am not sure if this is a realistic consideration.

I would appreciate any information, insight, or advice that anyone is willing to share.

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Rucksack Living!
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2016, 13:14:02 »
You have a good background.  If you want to continue being an administrator in a health care system and want to join the Canadian Forces then Health Care Administration (HCA) Officer would be a good choice in the Regular Force. I would not recommend joining as a Nursing Officer, unless you want to go back to clinical duties, for that is employment stream for Junior Officers, especially at the Lt rank.

In the Reserve Force you will not be administrating a garrison health care system all that much, but rather leading / commanding in a field environment on weekends / training nights.

Good luck... it never hurts to apply.

MC

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2016, 13:28:57 »
If you're 47 and fit go for it.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2016, 14:04:56 »
The biggest issue - I am already 47 years old! 

In case you have not already read it, you may find this discussion of interest,

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread) 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=207.250
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Leo791989

• Rate Post
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2016, 15:18:03 »
kfrunning
I was on this forum about 10 years ago or so, since then I have completed my RN and have been working as a RN for about 6 years or so. I am also one semester away from completing my MBA. Having said that, I've just applied for the HCA(Regular) career with the CF. I don't think age is a concern at all. As other's have said it, if you are fit and committed..Go For it!

Offline ADIDAS

• Rate Post
HCA Officer Pre-Requisites for VOT post-OFP
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2017, 19:18:13 »
Hey all,

I am looking into a VOT from MARS to Health Care Admin.   I am post NOPQ and post-OFP, but prior to sending an intent up the CoC to speak to the BPSO to grab some information, I would like to know if anyone here has any information about HCA as a trade, how viable it is to VOT into and if there are specific pre-reqs in order to get picked up.

I have scoured the forums for information on HCA and it has not turned up much other than what is in recruiting videos.   If I am barking up the wrong tree here, I apologize and could someone please redirect me.

Cheers!

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2017, 20:16:16 »
It would be helpful if we knew what subject area you completed your degree in.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline jitterbug

• Rate Post
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2017, 09:00:34 »
Does anyone know what an OCdt with BMOQ would wear for a cap badge?  Also what accouterments would be worn on the DEU? ie. buttons etc.  I tried contacting CFMSS with no luck.

Thanks.