Author Topic: Military First Aid Training  (Read 54457 times)

Offline bigni

• Rate Post
Military First Aid Training
« on: August 13, 2004, 02:18:24 »
Hello,

I released from the mlitary prior to completing the course. However, I did pass my Military First Aid exam. Does anybody know how I could get proof that I am certified?  I realised the material covered in Military First Aid is the same as Standard First Aid with the exception of 3 more units. Who do I talk to regarding this manner?

Any information would be great. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I did not know whereelse to post it.

Thanks!

Jey
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 23:06:34 by kratz »

Offline Garbageman

• Rate Post
  • Corrupter of Youth
Re: Military First Aid Training
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 07:25:56 »
A lot of the military courses are run by people from St. John Ambulance.  Try calling the St. John office closest to where you did your course - they may have record of you.
Usque ad finem - To the very end (428 Ghost Sqn, RCAF)

Offline Da_man

• Rate Post
  • Infantry
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 07:39:38 »
I never got anything stating that i completed this course  ???
YOU! No, you. Not You! YOU!

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 10:44:23 »
Your course is registered in the special center at CFB Borden.
DND has an agreement with St. John so that we get a reduced rate for the first aid course and the back side is that they charge extra for the certificates and wallet cards. This is a cost that most courses and schools will avoid.

Go through your training cell at your unit and have them search it out. I would try at the school that you took your BMQ at for starters.
I have spent my years under the world famous Physician Dr. Bin There-done-that and am now retired from the medical corps.
I have been to yougo as a combat engineer (CHIMO) and then another as a Critical Care RN at the role 3 MMU at KAF.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 16:49:58 »
Actually, is the CF special center in Ottawa.

If you can, attempt to access your instructors and they may be able to assist you.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Lingling

• Rate Post
  • Westies
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 11:46:36 »
I finished my first aid not too long ago, and upon completion, I was told that my certificate would be sent to my home unit. Check with your home unit and find out if they have one for you.
Pro Rege Et Patria

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 08:49:41 »
I am a qualified first aid instructor with St. John Ambulance...IMO...all instructors must complete paperwork to be paid for instruction...part of the paperwork is a list of names of individuals completing courses and their place of work.
So as above contacting St. John Ambulance locally ought to get you the info you are trying to obtain.

HL
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

Offline old medic

• Medical Forum Moderator
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 08:56:06 »
Lingling,

The last post is two years old. Probably no longer an issue.

HL,

See RN PRN and Armymedic's last posts above.  The local St. Johns Branch
won't be able to help, as it all goes through the DND office and bypasses
St. John local and provincial offices.

OM

re-answering vision questions since 2004.

Offline TikiTak

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 22:42:46 »
I got a certificate before I left camp. It's also recored in your file, just go to your OR and ask them.

Offline flight-corporal-08

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 22:04:04 »
Hi I got my emergency first aid through cadets. I was wondering if I were to take retrianing like 2 months befors I enlist in the army, would I have to go through first aid training agian? :cdn:

aesop081

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 22:33:34 »
Hi I got my emergency first aid through cadets. I was wondering if I were to take retrianing like 2 months befors I enlist in the army, would I have to go through first aid training agian? :cdn:

Yes

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 22:48:43 »
To expand on what CDN Aviator said everything you learned in cadets will have to be retaught to you when you do BMQ because that's the way the Training Plan is written.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 22:56:05 »
And to expand on Sapper, you'll be learning other stuff as well not taught on civvy courses.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:30:36 »
Another point:  Your certificate is not good for Life, so you will have to take the course several times in your lifetime to remain qualified.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 14:02:07 »

to add the military teaches Standard first aid, it is to a higher level then the one you have.
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 21:19:10 »
Hi I got my emergency first aid through cadets. I was wondering if I were to take retrianing like 2 months befors I enlist in the army, would I have to go through first aid training agian?

Now this brought back an amusing memory of a fellow recruit at Cornwallis asking a similiar question of an instructor.  IIRC, the individual had also received training in cadets, but he didn't learn the important rule that there are indeed stupid questions.  The instructor replied rather benevolently at first, saying that he didn't see a problem as the recruit obviously knew everything that he needed to know.  The instructor continued, saying that his concern was with the recruit's fellow coursemates and perhaps the recruit should remain with the class and ensure that they were properly trained as he would need someone to give him first aid because if he asked any more questions like that, he (the instructor) would rip off his head and crap down his neck.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Hawky225

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 22:50:07 »
I've got my NLS certs and SFA + CPR C. Will those quals count for anything?

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 23:16:44 »
Long and short - not really.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Nauticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 01:22:11 »
From my experience, everybody had to do everything at BMQ.
"Fate guides who will; who won't, it drags."

Offline Gary D. in SK

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 18:50:06 »
In short, there are no bye's in BMQ, you civi credientials don't mean sh**  We have a former EMT doing the firstaid course.  And the truth of it is it is the same as any civillian St. John civi course, but I found that the training methods seeemed (for me) to be somewhat inferior to the way it is taught in the civi world. ( I've done it multiple times for my civi occupation).  If you have all the knowled going in it just means the test will be that much easier (just don't get caught falling asleep in class)

Offline Sonnyjim

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 19:04:43 »
Military First Aid Training even through St. Johns does not qualify anything in the civilian world. I had to take my civilian first aid training twice over a few years in order to meet the requirements for the job I was applying for, although I have the training still qualified. Military first aid, TCCC, TMST training mean nothing except your own knowledge is bettered(if that's even a word).

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 19:27:12 »
The MSFA does qualify you through SJA and is recognized by many areas outside of the CF.
Some examples that I am aware of include:
-   Youth Organizations (Scouts, Guides, sports)
-   National chain companies (Sport Check, Wal Mart, Zellers)

The AMFR course is also recognized outside of the CF.
Some examples that I am aware of include:
-   Mississauga Fire Service
-   NS’s Provincial Health Department First Responder program

Outside organizations are not bound to accept the MSFA - SJA certificate,
 just as the CF does not accept outside training when one is on course.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 09:14:16 »
I know this is a necro-thread, but it's better to post this here than start a new discussion.

A new CMP Pers Instr 03/06 has been published Oct 4th, 2016 and supersedes the previous versions.
The updated Instruction has handful of subtle changes to the MFA program, example:
- Recommending PLQ or an IT course vice requiring it or not mentioning the topic at all, compared to previous Instr,
- The Steward trade is now listed in Annex A to receive HCP level CPR.

There is also a new course report out, available from DND Special Centre for First Aid.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.