Author Topic: First Aid / CPR training and certification  (Read 107318 times)

Offline bigni

• Rate Post
First Aid / CPR training and certification
« on: August 13, 2004, 02:18:24 »
Hello,

I released from the mlitary prior to completing the course. However, I did pass my Military First Aid exam. Does anybody know how I could get proof that I am certified?  I realised the material covered in Military First Aid is the same as Standard First Aid with the exception of 3 more units. Who do I talk to regarding this manner?

Any information would be great. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I did not know whereelse to post it.

Thanks!

Jey
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 23:06:34 by kratz »

Offline Garbageman

• Rate Post
  • Corrupter of Youth
Re: Military First Aid Training
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 07:25:56 »
A lot of the military courses are run by people from St. John Ambulance.  Try calling the St. John office closest to where you did your course - they may have record of you.
Usque ad finem - To the very end (428 Ghost Sqn, RCAF)

Offline Da_man

• Rate Post
  • Infantry
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 07:39:38 »
I never got anything stating that i completed this course  ???
YOU! No, you. Not You! YOU!

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 10:44:23 »
Your course is registered in the special center at CFB Borden.
DND has an agreement with St. John so that we get a reduced rate for the first aid course and the back side is that they charge extra for the certificates and wallet cards. This is a cost that most courses and schools will avoid.

Go through your training cell at your unit and have them search it out. I would try at the school that you took your BMQ at for starters.
I have spent my years under the world famous Physician Dr. Bin There-done-that and am now retired from the medical corps.
I have been to yougo as a combat engineer (CHIMO) and then another as a Critical Care RN at the role 3 MMU at KAF.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 16:49:58 »
Actually, is the CF special center in Ottawa.

If you can, attempt to access your instructors and they may be able to assist you.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Robert S

• Rate Post
First Aid / CPR training and certification
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 18:55:58 »
Hello guys and girls, Im considering going to sait(school) to get my First aid and CPR. But before I do I was wanting to know if I should even bother with it. The Army(infrantry) should provide any first aid / cpr training right? or should I just goto sait for it. Dumb question again but I have nothing else to do.
Pure Sentinel. Pure Power.
God bless Canada.

Offline swanita

• Rate Post
Re: First Aid / CPR
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 18:59:39 »
Yes, you will do some first aid & CPR during basic training, so might as well save your money.

Cheers  :cdn:

Offline Robert S

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 19:31:32 »
Ok Thanks.
Pure Sentinel. Pure Power.
God bless Canada.

Offline Frankex

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 23:49:00 »
Yes, you will do some first aid & CPR during basic training, so might as well save your money.

Cheers  :cdn:

does that qualify you as a first aid qualified person though?

Offline BeadWindow(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • somewhere on the flotilla
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 00:00:11 »
does that qualify you as a first aid qualified person though?

yes.
Welcome back.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 00:00:39 »
You'll do a test and get a certificate from it.   There are many St John's Ambulance First Aid Instructors in the Forces, and they stay current by instructing to their Units and other Units as requested.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 00:47:56 »
The military doesn't issue first aid certificates, I'm guessing under the logic that it has the record that you've learned it, but you can make a request for them... not entirely sure on the process.

Offline BeadWindow(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • somewhere on the flotilla
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 00:49:58 »
The military doesn't issue first aid certificates, I'm guessing under the logic that it has the record that you've learned it, but you can make a request for them... not entirely sure on the process.

yeah you have to pay the 5 dollars to get the card issued. Ask the instructor when you take the course.
Welcome back.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 01:16:34 »

They don't issue them as it would cost to much and besides according to the DAODs every soldier is suppose to be trained to the standard level of First Aid and Level C CPR, so in theory every soldier you potentially meet is most likely a first aider.  We all know though that people fall through the cracks....but I think there are enough around.

If you need a certificate, for whatever reason talk to your instructor and give them your reason for needing one.  They will most likely not request one for you if you just want it to look at it, but if you have a legit reason they will get it for you.  What they do is email the Ottawa Special Center and request one.  From there Ottawa goes over to St. John's and gets the certificate and then sends it to your instructor who will give it to you.  It a fairly painless process, but can take some time depending on how swamped the special center is
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline nawk

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 09:21:38 »
When I did BMQ everyone received their St. John's ambulance first aid certificate free of charge.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 10:00:20 »
Just to clear this up a bit....You don't get the certificate/card from the CF, but from St John's Ambulance.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 12:06:16 »
Being a reserverist, a first aid certificate comes in handy civvie side... last time I did the course, the instructor asked who wanted a certificate, naturally, the bulk of the students raised their hands, so everyone raised their hands. About a month later, they all arrived, free of charge.

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 12:11:09 »
They are always free of charge for the students...The CF still pays for them though.  That is why most units don't get them for their soldiers.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Canadian Sig

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 12:27:02 »
When I did BMQ everyone received their St. John's ambulance first aid certificate free of charge.

My course as well.
V.V.V.

The secret of war lies in the communications
   Napoleon Boneparte

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 20:05:58 »
Just to clear this up a bit....You don't get the certificate/card from the CF, but from St John's Ambulance.

Everyone go here www.sja.ca now tell me what you see.  What should I see you ask? Well it is St JOHN Amublance.  St. John's is a City in the Maritimes.  Sorry, I volunteer for the St. John Amublance Brigade, and it is a pet peeve of mine.   ;)

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 23:47:00 »
hmm,

Everytime I did the course in the CF, I received a card upon completion. 

dileas

tess

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline quasiparamedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 10:46:19 »
Everyone go here www.sja.ca now tell me what you see.  What should I see you ask? Well it is St JOHN Amublance.  St. John's is a City in the Maritimes.  Sorry, I volunteer for the St. John Amublance Brigade, and it is a pet peeve of mine.   ;)

Actually, St. John's is a city in the Atlantic Provinces, NOT the Maritimes. Newfoundland is not part of the Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island). It's a pet peeve of mine, being raised a Maritimer myself. :) Don't get me started on the whole SAINT John versus ST. John debate.... ;)

Have a look here: http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps/reference/provincesterritories/maritimes

Getting back on topic, I'm a Canadian Red Cross first aid instructor, and I've taken St. John Ambulance first aid courses in the past. For both organizations, wallet card certificates are generally given out at the end of the course at no extra cost, at least on the civvie side. From the Red Cross perspective, the cost of the wallet cards is included in the course package for each candidate. However, if the candidate wants a large certificate to put up on the wall, that would be an extra cost.

Offline Lingling

• Rate Post
  • Westies
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 11:46:36 »
I finished my first aid not too long ago, and upon completion, I was told that my certificate would be sent to my home unit. Check with your home unit and find out if they have one for you.
Pro Rege Et Patria

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 08:49:41 »
I am a qualified first aid instructor with St. John Ambulance...IMO...all instructors must complete paperwork to be paid for instruction...part of the paperwork is a list of names of individuals completing courses and their place of work.
So as above contacting St. John Ambulance locally ought to get you the info you are trying to obtain.

HL
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

Offline old medic

• Medical Forum Moderator
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 08:56:06 »
Lingling,

The last post is two years old. Probably no longer an issue.

HL,

See RN PRN and Armymedic's last posts above.  The local St. Johns Branch
won't be able to help, as it all goes through the DND office and bypasses
St. John local and provincial offices.

OM

re-answering vision questions since 2004.