Author Topic: Media Bias [Merged]  (Read 570402 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Media Bias [Merged]
« Reply #1375 on: November 07, 2019, 20:38:34 »
99 North  :Tin-Foil-Hat:
There are no wolves on Fenris

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #1376 on: November 07, 2019, 20:55:09 »
99 North  :Tin-Foil-Hat:
One of a number of new-ish online-only news sites - a handy guide to those left & right (who's behind them, who funds them, etc.) here.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1377 on: November 07, 2019, 20:59:09 »
I didn't get the picture from facebook, I got it from another forum board and it was in the format that I posted here, I didn't edit it at all.

It should be added that thus far, nothing in the photo posted has been incorrect. ( They actually missed a endorsement from the Hamilton Spectator for the CPC)

If you don't agree with the photo not being sourced, that's fine, but to say it's fake news is not exactly true. I will finish the list, but i'm sure most of the rest are going to be blue endorsements given the Calgary Herald, Ottawa Citizen, and The Edmonton Journal are all postmedia.

So political bias of that photo( the full one that I did not share, not even knew about) being as it is, it's also, (thus far) correct.

Which is all to distract from my original question, does newspaper count as media?

And I appreciate your efforts to clear that up Altair.  You'll also note that I didn't silence you either and you are still free to post in this thread.

As far as I am concerned, the matter is dealt with.  Feel free to carry on savaging each other.

One of a number of new-ish online-only news sites - a handy guide to those left & right (who's behind them, who funds them, etc.) here.

Yep and like Alex Jones and Infowars, trash of the highest order.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #1378 on: November 07, 2019, 21:29:43 »
... like Alex Jones and Infowars, trash of the highest order.
I don't know if I'd go quite that far for any single site, but it's interesting to see which sites have which blind spots and which "usual suspect" sources.  #NothingHasEverythingButEverythingHasSomething
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #1379 on: November 07, 2019, 21:45:48 »
I didn't get the picture from facebook, I got it from another forum board and it was in the format that I posted here, I didn't edit it at all.

It should be added that thus far, nothing in the photo posted has been incorrect. ( They actually missed a endorsement from the Hamilton Spectator for the CPC)

If you don't agree with the photo not being sourced, that's fine, but to say it's fake news is not exactly true. I will finish the list, but i'm sure most of the rest are going to be blue endorsements given the Calgary Herald, Ottawa Citizen, and The Edmonton Journal are all postmedia.

So political bias of that photo( the full one that I did not share, not even knew about) being as it is, it's also, (thus far) correct.

Which is all to distract from my original question, does newspaper count as media?

According to Pew, in the US anyways, print is the new media dinosaur:

Watching to Reading the News – and Mostly Still Through Television

Three-quarters of Americans who prefer watching the news opt for TV, but since 2016, slightly more watchers name the internet as their platform of choice

Overall, 47% of Americans prefer watching the news rather than reading or listening to it. That is unchanged from 46% in 2016 and outpaces the 34% who prefer to read the news and 19% who prefer to listen to it – both of which also remain on par with 2016 figures.

In addition to exploring the preferred format for news consumption, the study also measured which platform people preferred most for their news: print, television (through local, network or cable channels), the internet (through websites, apps or social media) or radio. Television continues to rank first as the preferred platform. Just over four-in-ten U.S. adults (44%) prefer TV, compared with about a third (34%) who prefer the web, 14% who prefer radio and 7% who prefer print. The only meaningful shifts since 2016 are a small increase in online and decrease in print news consumption.

https://www.journalism.org/2018/12/03/americans-still-prefer-watching-to-reading-the-news-and-mostly-still-through-television/
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #1380 on: November 07, 2019, 21:54:57 »
The eminent ERC says it far more eloquently then I do in my drive by posts.  https://coloneltedcampbell.blog/2019/11/08/its-time-to-end-this-rubbish/

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1381 on: November 08, 2019, 08:41:30 »
Disagree. Some past Conservative leaders who would qualify again for future leadership (MacKay and Ambrose) who are quite capable of deftly dealing with the media in a way that falls completely outside of Scheer’s capabilities.
I would love to add Caroline Mulroney to the list (competence, and appeal to voters whose only requirement is 2nd-generation political name recognition).  Unfortunately, she's now too tainted by association with Ford.    :not-again:

I don't often weigh in on political threads on this site because:

A.  I don't really care for politics or politicians;
B.  Politics threads are full of opinion, feelings and conjecture and are usually echo chambers; and
C.  It has very little to do with the profession of arms which I view as the primary purpose of this forum.
I've argued pretty consistently about getting rid of these threads because of 'B' and 'C'  ('A' I follow pretty actively).  The recurring tendency here though is for 3-5 individuals to turn discussions into tranwrecks;  the least informed have a tendency to be the most strident and repetitive.

If a politics thread doesn't have a clear and obvious linkage to national security and/or the military, scrap it;  there are other, better sites for those discussions.

That being said....
The eminent ERC says it far more eloquently then I do in my drive by posts.  https://coloneltedcampbell.blog/2019/11/08/its-time-to-end-this-rubbish/
Good re-post;  I hadn't gotten to my daily Ted reading yet.

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1382 on: November 08, 2019, 08:55:20 »
To be honest there has been some derailing here and there but there have been less and less train wrecks.  Disagreements but mostly cordial.  Especially given the last election topic(s)

I'm sure I am not the only one who has noted that.
Optio